• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Soldier Collection

204 posts in this topic

Finally a massive Timely collection for a change will be sold through Metropolis. I believe the email said that it will be brought to SDC and rolled out on their website on July 20th. :popcorn: Here's the info from the newsletter. This could generate more buzz than any collection we have seen in the last year:

One of the most impressive Timely collections I have ever seen,” exclaimed Metropolis COO, Vincent Zurzolo.

“I don’t remember the last time I saw a Timely Collection of this size, depth and quality!” added Metropolis Head of Sales, Frank Cwiklik.

“Regardless of grade, whether a comic was a 7.0 or a 9.0, the consignor chose comics with striking eye appeal to be part of this incredible collection,” stated Metropolis CEO, Stephen Fishler.

The Super Soldier Collection consists of over 250 CGC graded Golden Age comic books, most in mid to high grade with many highest and 2nd highest graded copies as well. Pedigrees represented in the collection include Timely File Copy, Allentown, Crowley, White Rose, D Copy, Pinnacle Hill Collection, Rockford and Nicolas Cage Collection.

An interesting moment in organizing the collection for delivery to the Metropolis showroom came when the consignor had returned from various bank vaults with the comics and had them all in one room in his home. He realized that he had never gathered everything together in one place at one time, as the collection was amassed over many years of diligent buying and stored in various banks. When he sat down and saw the fruits of his labor in one room, it put a very big smile on his face. “Though I’ve been collecting on and off since the 60s, this collection took me over 15 years to amass. It is a really cool collection. Very rarely do you see runs of Captain America Comics, USA Comics, All Select, All Winners and Marvel Mystery in nice grade in one place,” said the consignor.

When asked, “Why sell now?” The consignor replied, “I am a completist who set out on what was a very challenging mission. I completed the Captain America Comics, All Select and USA Comics runs and I got very close to finishing the other main runs I was focusing on. There is only one issue missing from my All Winners run, #6, as I never found one good enough for my collection. I always knew I’d sell, and figured what better time than during the premier week of the Captain America Movie and at San Diego Comic Con 2011 -- and who better to do it through than Vincent Zurzolo and Stephen Fishler. I bought many of my comics through them. In my opinion, they are the driving force behind the vintage comic market. My hope is that the sale of my collection will help other collectors complete their runs.”

Other titles represented in the collection include Mystic Comics, Daring Comics, Daring Mystery Comics, Sub-Mariner Comics, Human Torch, Young Men and even some non-Timely comics like Superman, All Star, All American, Adventure, Famous Funnies, Flash Comics and Comic Cavalcade.

“We are very excited to premier this collection during Comic Con. During preview night, our entire booth will have the Super Soldier Collection displayed. It should be really spectacular! Not only will collectors be able to purchase comics starting preview night at Comic Con at the Metropolis booths, #5516 and 5517, they will also be available on the http://www.metropoliscomics.com website,” added Zurzolo.

If you can't make it to San Diego, then hie thee to the Metro site on Wednesday July 20 at 2 PM EST, when the collection will be revealed in all its patriotic glory!

--------------------------------------------------------

Record prices for sure !

if this is prophetic, "the cajun collection" may be the next one to hit the market. i'm getting tired of being straw-man.

Any guess as to whose collection this is?

what i earlier posted in the timely thread:

"no they're not mine, but as a timely completist for many years, i've tried to keep up with my competition [not for grade necessarily, but for titles]. they're not west's books. they're not steve assell's books, because i think he has a 8.0 minimum threshhold. they may be the books of a guy i've never met, but have heard about, last name weinburg, i think. heard he was after the same stuff, more of less, and tho' more insistent on high-grade than me, wasn't quite so picky about only 8.0 and better. but i guess there could be a whole lot of other guys out there i never heard about, so who knows?"

not every book, but I have a few on my personal want list that if they have, I am all over :headbang:

front_print1.jpg

hm ... me too! :slapfight: ... :sumo: ... :acclaim:

this is very devious looking man; i'd be careful going head-up with him for a book.

not every book, but I have a few on my personal want list that if they have, I am all over :headbang:

front_print1.jpg

this is very devious looking man; i'd be careful going head-up with him for a book.

..but he'd be perfect for a hillbilly thread!

Record prices for sure !

if this is prophetic, "the cajun collection" may be the next one to hit the market. i'm getting tired of being straw-man.

Me too - please bring back Billy Parker. I miss him (sob)

that warms the cockles of my heart. although over there they're probably spelled "couckles."

Record prices for sure !

that warms the cockles of my heart. although over there they're probably spelled "couckles."

You're probably thinking of "Of Human Boundage"

..or possibly, "My name is Bound...James Bound..."

Record prices for sure !

You're probably thinking of "Of Human Boundage"

..or possibly, "My name is Bound...James Bound..."

the hourror, the hourror.

front_print1.jpg

:o ... :cry:

How may hillbillies do you know who like RUSH??? :headbang:

...The group, that is! :grin:

front_print1.jpg

:o ... :cry:

How may hillbillies do you know who like RUSH??? :headbang:

...The group, that is! :grin:

Who you tryin' ta fool. hillbilly? Aint you seen Deliverance?