• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Best Shop or Dealer Experience?

83 posts in this topic

best shop experience is from a guy who was going out of business (some of which I recounted here) where he let me pick through various bins and depending on the day it would be $20-$30 for a short or long box of comics and he let my kid have whatever he could grab (for the most part) that wasn't in his store on consignment. went back 5 or 6 times, same deal. there weren't a lot of expensive books for the snagging, but probably snagged 40-50 with a $10-$50 FMV, lots of solid $5-$10 stuff, etc. for 10 cents each. was he gruff and off putting? yes. not in a comic shop guy kind of way, more like a tough brooklyn italian kind of way (he did sports cards too) but he decided he liked us (he decided we were all italian for some reason...my wife is 1/2 italian, I'm not at all), etc.

anyway, too bad he closed up, but he had a lot of other business ventures and the store was just a headache for him as he had an employee that ran it (into the ground) and he was basically just breaking even on it.

i have had great experiences with marc at house of comics,richard evans aka mr.bedrock, and andy aka thirdgreenham. my only complaint is the gov. of ohio shot down high speed rail and with that,maybe i get my books a day earlier?

I've had many, many good experiences.

Here's just a few.

-Hector (Chespirito) has always treated me very fairly and offers generous trades when I have a book he wants, and he has offered some foreigns to me for free in the past. Always willing to talk foreigns and help me out when I'm looking for a book.

-Matteo (marmat) is one of my main sources for foreign books, mostly from Spain with the odd other book he has managed to pick up. He is cool with time payments on prices as small as $50 which is a big necessity for me since I won't have a steady income until September. Always willing to help out and buy things off eBay and Tradera for me and asks nothing in return (though I owe him many, MANY favours :foryou: )

-Johnny G. recently sold me a Secret Wars #8 CGC 9.8 for about $45 under GPA, and hand delivered at a local show. Top-notch service and an all-around great guy to talk to (thumbs u

-Harley Yee - I met Harley for the first time in Seattle in March, and he was one of the coolest dealers there. Didn't try to sell me anything while I was at his booth, he just let me browse and had a conversation with me and another dealer (also great) named Ron. When I managed to pick out a Daredevil #182 CGC 9.8 and a Fantastic Four #232 CGC 9.8 both priced at $80 each, he quickly offered to halve that price for me to $40 each. No haggling needed, but he saw that I was low on money and that I wanted the books, and took action! Major kudos to Harley.

-I've also had great transactions with several board members who have been easy to work with as far as Canadian shipping goes.

-Joeypost has been a great help with my first submission, helping me with the forms and picking the books up for me after grading. Great packing, too!

...and many many more!

(thumbs u OK...I'm saving this list and will watch every sales thread these guys open.

I had a transaction with our own MrBedrock. He picked me up from my hotel, hand delivered a book, drove me out to dinner and then took me back to his place where he showed me some artwork in his bedroom. There are only a handful of dealers who have done that for me in the past.

I had a transaction with our own MrBedrock. He picked me up from my hotel, hand delivered a book, drove me out to dinner and then took me back to his place where he showed me some artwork in his bedroom. There are only a handful of dealers who have done that for me in the past.

that sounds like a real sexy date.

that sounds like a real sexy date.

He didn't call the next day though.

Howard Harris, the proprietor of Greg's Comics in Mesa, AZ, is the best, most gracious, most patient dealer I have ever dealt with. He is a gentleman's gentleman, and deserves all good he gets.

Howard was my favorite dealer from the late 80's to the early 90's. He used to run the first Comics & Records Unlimited here in San Antonio. He also did a stint with Greg Buls here before they moved on to AZ. Haven't heard from him in 10-15 years. Great to deal with & glad to hear he's still doing well. Never thought of him as a gentleman's gentleman, but he was fun to sit & bs with.

When I first started my Action run 6 1/2 years ago, I purchased several raw issues over time from James Payette. I would always ask for back cover scans. He was always quick to reply to e-mails with scans. Prices were always negotiable. The books were most always undergraded. Sometimes as much as two full grade points.

I have a few great experiences.

G.A.tor/Rick-He has Amazing customer service,great guy,honest.I have never seen a dealer who was willing to acquire an expensive key book and hold it for me for 4 months with no money down. Thanks Rick on my Hulk#1 and my future SC #22

Blazing Bob Storms-always great experiences,should get rid of John though(just kidding john)

Harley Yee-what a great guy,How does he remember my first name when I only see him two times a year?

Yeah his books may be a tad higher priced,but would rather pay higher prices for great customer service.

Bunky Brothers-just honest guys giving great customer service.Nuff Said!

These are the only people I buy from at shows.I'll look at everyone elses stuff,but my money will always go to them.I feel like I'm treated like a customer that matters,something that other dealer in a heated thread here should learn.

95% of what i buy is either here on the boards or from the auction houses so The best ive had recently wasnt with a shop or dealer but was with our own boardie bio-rupp.

He had a sales thread with some Rocky Mountain Ped Avengers in the 200's. Not expensive books at all but ones i LOVED when i was a kid. I bought one for like $30 or so and pm'd him asking if he had any others. He pm'd me this pic

av213.jpg

That was one of my alltime favorite books as a kid, i LOVED that book and must have read it 500 times when i was like 9. I told him name his price but he didnt want to sell it because hes about the same age as me and had the same memories of it.

Then last week, he had another sales thread and i bought a few hundred dollars worth of books. A decent amount but nothing earth shattering. Out of nowhere without me saying a word, he offered to throw in the Avengers 213 for FREE just to thank me for buying some books in the thread. I refused and demanded to pay for it since i knew how much he loved the book also but just the gesture was very, VERY appreciated.

A+++ (thumbs u

you might want to tap that slab on it's side a bit, the book is crooked. :gossip:

I have a few great experiences.

G.A.tor/Rick-He has Amazing customer service,great guy,honest.I have never seen a dealer who was willing to acquire an expensive key book and hold it for me for 4 months with no money down. Thanks Rick on my Hulk#1 and my future SC #22

Blazing Bob Storms-always great experiences,should get rid of John though(just kidding john)

Harley Yee-what a great guy,How does he remember my first name when I only see him two times a year?

Yeah his books may be a tad higher priced,but would rather pay higher prices for great customer service.

Bunky Brothers-just honest guys giving great customer service.Nuff Said!

These are the only people I buy from at shows.I'll look at everyone elses stuff,but my money will always go to them.I feel like I'm treated like a customer that matters,something that other dealer in a heated thread here should learn.

I know - he's a freak. I used to collect JIM #85's and about a year and a half ago I wrote him if he had any above VF, said he'd get back to me... low and behold about a week ago he writes me and tells me he has one... and that's just one instance... crazy memory... or something..

I lived in Milwaukee for several years and worked at a home improvement business. We always did work out of town. One time, it must have been around 1992, I was in the Neenah/ Menasha area (about 1 1/2 hour drive) and visited LCS. I found out on the following sat they were having a big .25 comic sale.

I showed up right when they opened on sat and proceeded to pick out several hundred comics. I then came across Avengers 40 to 48 (vol 1). I pointed it out to the guy at the counter and was told "They're in the sale boxes, so they're a quarter a piece" :) Yes, I did buy them all