• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official 2011 Overstreet discussion thread

144 posts in this topic

Personally I feel that Overstreet has been able to move with the market on RAW books. I've been tracking this over the years by managing to get a copy of all the Overstreets with the exception of #3

293h7xy.jpg

WEBHEAD

Actually, with respect to charts and graphs, the ones below which AJD had posted in the Gold Forum are a lot more informative and representative since they are indexed against inflation, includes not just the top of guide price which is often misleading, covers a much broader spectrum of books beyond just the usual Top 5 keys, and is also measured against a leading financial indicator: (thumbs u

I'm home sick today, so I had the chance to update the data in my spreadsheets of comic prices. Since Mitch has been banging the drum for investing in Gold (comics) I thought this was relevant.

Notes:

(1) all prices were converted into today's dollars before the index was calculated. This includes the Dow values.

(2) comic prices are Overstreets with all of the limitations of that - and the jump at the end was Bob being dragged kicking and screaming into realism with the million dollar sales of Action 1 and Tec 27

(3) all of the other caveats already mentioned in this thread still apply

(4) my economist friend has changed his tune - he says now that this is a good time to be holding cash assets, bullion or fine collectables.

First up, the 9.2 prices

big4_NM-_2010.jpg

And now the 6.0

big_4_fine_2010.jpg

The 'dud' of the big 4 is Marvel #1 - but even in mid grade still gives the Dow a run for its money.

Of course, the trick to this sort of analysis is to work out where the graphs go from here. If I could do that I'd probably own the big 4. lol

Edit: For the comic investor with a diverse portfolio, here's the Overstreet top 100 GA books index as well:

top_100_index.jpg

If only we could retrospectively MANNUP!

I hope AJD continues to maintain these charts for us here on the boards! :applause:

Guy most likely has 50 Marvel buyers for every DC collector.

He knows you are a bigshot attorney so he prices things accordingly. Hire some urchin to act as your buying agent.

yeah yeah, i'm a guvment attorney, and unlike my unionized paralegals, I haven't gotten a raise/COLA in almost 5 years and make less than my secretary did when i was in private practice almost 8 years ago...

Mine is sitting on my porch, waiting for me to arrive. Oh happy day.

Are you going to let us know that the market is terrible and all mid-grade BA and SA only sells for about 5% of guide?

Party pooper.

No.

The market is pretty good, all things considered. Mid-grade SA sells for about 40% of Guide, mid-grade BA sells for three bucks. (thumbs u

Tell that to my local shop who priced up a VG Avengers 100 and Fine Avengers Annual 7 for me at $20 each. and he knows what a cheap I am, only pay that kind of money for pre-'64 stuff or an ASM 129. Anyway, I declined. But I suspect they'll be sold within 2-3 weeks at those prices.

Same place I got a 5.0 Batman 227 for $7. Where's the pricing logic?

Go figure.

When I ask about something that hasn't been priced yet it always winds up being wayyyy more than something he prices on his own.

VG Avengers 100 is $20, Fine Avengers Annual 7 is $15. :roflmao: He's charging you Guide Plus for books that you can buy on eBay ALL DAY LONG for five bucks, or less.

Batman 227 in 5.0 is $32.50. $7? :takeit:

I'm not so sure the Avengers 100 is a $5 book. Last one I sold had an an almost entirely split cover and I got $10 for it. Dunno about the market for annual 7 though. I was kind of thinking $20 for the two would be reasonable for my collection, not to flip any time soon, but he doubled me up. I don't try to negotiate with this guy because the stuff he puts in the $1 box (which he often gives me first dibs on and sells me 3/$2) is actually often pretty good.

He also sold me a $20 ASM 129, but it had an interior clipped coupon (didn't impact story)...otherwise VG+ looking.

The prices are random with this guy sometimes even though he whips the guide out every time he prices something.

Actually, with respect to charts and graphs, the ones below which AJD had posted in the Gold Forum are a lot more informative and representative since they are indexed against inflation, includes not just the top of guide price which is often misleading, covers a much broader spectrum of books beyond just the usual Top 5 keys, and is also measured against a leading financial indicator: (thumbs u

I'm home sick today, so I had the chance to update the data in my spreadsheets of comic prices. Since Mitch has been banging the drum for investing in Gold (comics) I thought this was relevant.

Notes:

(1) all prices were converted into today's dollars before the index was calculated. This includes the Dow values.

(2) comic prices are Overstreets with all of the limitations of that - and the jump at the end was Bob being dragged kicking and screaming into realism with the million dollar sales of Action 1 and Tec 27

(3) all of the other caveats already mentioned in this thread still apply

(4) my economist friend has changed his tune - he says now that this is a good time to be holding cash assets, bullion or fine collectables.

First up, the 9.2 prices

big4_NM-_2010.jpg

And now the 6.0

big_4_fine_2010.jpg

The 'dud' of the big 4 is Marvel #1 - but even in mid grade still gives the Dow a run for its money.

Of course, the trick to this sort of analysis is to work out where the graphs go from here. If I could do that I'd probably own the big 4. lol

Edit: For the comic investor with a diverse portfolio, here's the Overstreet top 100 GA books index as well:

top_100_index.jpg

If only we could retrospectively MANNUP!

I hope AJD continues to maintain these charts for us here on the boards! :applause:

the Dow prices given in these charts are out of whack.. (2010 DJIA closed at 11,500, for example, not the $5k-ish represented.)

the Dow prices given in these charts are out of whack.. (2010 DJIA closed at 11,500, for example, not the $5k-ish represented.)

No they aren't - they are inflation-adjusted, so what you're seeing are 'real' values against the 1983 baseline rather than 'nominal'. A 1983 dollar is worth $2.19 2010 dollars.

5000 x 2.19 = 10,950

Thanks Lou. Yep, happy to do so. I'll add the 2011 figures in once the Overstreet guide lands here.

I'd like to add a few other keys - especially Silver Age ones like SC4 and AF15 - but I would need the 6.0 and 9.2 prices from 1983-2007. I've only got the last few guides.

If anyone can be bothered typing them in, PM me for an email address.

Not a whole lot of movement (position) in the top books for each age. Looks like Batman #3 has cracked the charts. And AF 15, while the #1 Silver book, would also make the top 10 in Gold. Man, I remember when that wasn't close to being the case.