• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Production Art?? Vintage?

24 posts in this topic

I understand what this guy claims these are, but does anyone think they are vintage real pieces? Seems to have some nice stuff and they just look to clean to be 50 years old.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jack-Kirby-Captain-America-101-Production-Art-Cover-/280711414455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415bb442b7

Thoughts on what these are exactly.

James G

At no point does he indicate that these are the originals from the 1960s. He only explains in general what production art is. I think these are recreated transparencies. Maybe for reprints, maybe just made for sale.

"Pages listed are either from graphic novels, reprints, or newer printings."

Boy is it IMPOSSIBLE to see in the light yellow.

God these listings are totally and completely misleading....

oh and he must of added that line because it isn't in this listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270776867330&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

So basically as I see it he is making this stuff and it is total .

James G

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270776867330&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

James G

He is selling tons and tons of it and I am sure that most people that are buying it think it is from the production of the original comic. The secondary market will be flooded with these, making them even less valuable.

James G

I wore my special Captain America goggles.

These are all from reprints. I don't see the interest in trasparencies from reprints, but maybe that's just me.

Reprints done when and where. If they were recent last 5-10 years I don't see Marvel letting them go. I have a tough time thinking these pieces are legit and since I now have one in hand, it is brand new looking..... No marks discoloartion or anything.

James G

These are all from reprints. I don't see the interest in trasparencies from reprints, but maybe that's just me.

Reprints done when and where. If they were recent last 5-10 years I don't see Marvel letting them go. I have a tough time thinking these pieces are legit and since I now have one in hand, it is brand new looking..... No marks discoloartion or anything.

James G

I bought one too a few weeks ago, mine too looks brand spankin new. Still cool though.

Admittedly, I didn't dig through every single one of his auctions, but the 15-20 that I clicked on were all not actual pieces from production, even though they all said they were used for reprints. All of which were bogus and not used...not even for reprints. They are fakes and not hard to make with access to the right materials.

Buyer beware.

Keep in mind the comics industry haven't used transparencies for "recent reprints" in almost 20 years now. In the 90s the computer pretty much took over all production of comic art, and the age of layout boards and copy cameras, transparencies, overlays, rubys and seps were done by mid-decade.

As Admiral Ackbar said.........

-e.

Keep in mind the comics industry haven't used transparencies for "recent reprints" in almost 20 years now. In the 90s the computer pretty much took over all production of comic art, and the age of layout boards and copy cameras, transparencies, overlays, rubys and seps were done by mid-decade.

-e.

Some of the stuff looks like it might be from reprints from the 80s.

-e.

Some of the stuff looks like it might be from reprints from the 80s.

It's not. They're not real.

You can make these with a clean b/w scan and a high end ink jet printer. One way to tell is to see if you can wipe the image off with water (you know, if you want to trash it.) The old way of making them was using a digital imagesetter to generate a film positive, but those are going the way of the dinosaurs. If something like this is truly from a color separation (pre-2000 technology), then it's going to be a negative. If it's the black plate from an overlay proof (also dead tech), then it will be fairly flimsy and very prone to fading. It's a safe bet these were not actual production pieces.

My guess is that he used the B/W Marvel Essentials as a source for his scans. Although that's just a guess; I haven't spent the time to see if all the stuff he has sold has been released in B/W format. The line quality looks weird on all of them, too.

I'm blown away by the prices he's fetched. I don't recall genuine old stats reaching some of those levels.

Actually wiping with water won't work if he's done a few different things to it.

We use transparency printing for our sculptures - usually mostly for wings for fairies or dragons or whatnot - and you can do a LOT of stuff with acetate sheets and a printer. A quick coat of any sort of varnish or sealer will render the image waterproof and set it on there pretty good.

I'm betting that I could recreate one of those really easily with my photoshop and my Epson 2200 printer, and I could do an even better job if I ever used the printers that I have access to like at work as those are high end professional machines.

I'd demand those to be authenticated by an indisputable third party myself before I'd ever bid on it - as a collector and as an artist.

Just my 2 cents.

Totally FAKE.

Real production artwork has 4 copies of the same image, all 3 primary colours separately, as well as a black one. Word bubbles and text would appear on the same black copy together.

I also have many original art pieces, the word bubbles and text are added after the artwork is completed. Its on a separate acetate page, then overlayed, so the bubbles and text would never be on separate pages. Even older production had word bubbles and text glued to the original artwork itself by the letterer.