• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The book you regret buying the most.....

80 posts in this topic

Magnus (1 or 0, cant remember) gold

Gold? No wonder you can't remember, those don't exist. :grin:

Now, all those books are worth MAYBE $100 while the couple early Spideys and FF's i could have gotten would probably be worth a couple thousand doh!

Doubtful. You would have likely gotten overgraded, trimmed, and color-touched junk. :gossip:

It was definitely some "premium" Magnus book. Either Gold, number 0 or whatever the hell they put out. Dont get me wrong, i LOVED reading all those Valiant books but unfortunately i started reading them WELL after they came out and paid crazy prices for them!

Even if the SA was restored which i doubt, it would still be worth 10 times what those Valiant premium junk issues will ever be worth. My son is going to inherit about 3 long boxes of pretty much every Valiant book ever printed. Even when he gets them in 20-30 years, i doubt they will be worth what i paid for them doh!

RMA just sold a Gold Archer and Armstrong 0 in CGC 9.8 for $400.

Mine aint a 9.8 thats for sure! How much would a 9.2-9.4ish go for? :eek:

When I first signed up for ebay back in 1999, I got into a minor bidding war on what would turn out being a VG- copy of GI Combat 71. It wasn't huge money, only about $35. However, back then a VG- copy of that book went for much less than $35.

It was a valuable lesson about getting into bidding wars though. A lesson I learned well.

98% of books produced after 1977 are either bird cage liners or dollar bid fodder

so if they were bought for other reasons than you like to enjoy/read them then I can see that

as a mistake.

so with that in mind the Masters of the Universe #1 that I kept pristine

all these years is not worth the bag and board it is currently in.

:blush:

Ehh, none really. Even though I bought a bunch of garbage in my day and occasionally still do. It all helps me decide what I truly enjoy.

I can say that after Superman and Batman were both back in tights just months after their much hyped death/disability I pretty much quit reading comics for like a decade and to this day do not read super hero comics. It was the moment I realized I had been had, and it's been happening for years.

+ Sandman, Preacher, Bone, Astro City, Jimmy Corrigan, ...

what!!!?? Sandman, Preacher & Astro City were fantastic reads. Enjoyed every issue

Read it again, nerdling. He was talking about the exceptions, in reply to PCC.

Dork.

+ Sandman, Preacher, Bone, Astro City, Jimmy Corrigan, ...

what!!!?? Sandman, Preacher & Astro City were fantastic reads. Enjoyed every issue

i think he meant those were other awesome reads in the 90s. Sandman and preacher were probably the best creator owned comics of all time.

Sandman isn't a creator owned comic.

It is owned, part and parcel, by DC.

I regret very, very little of what I have bought. Maybe trading a nice Fine copy of Silver Surfer #1 (1968) for a NM copy of Justice League #3 variant...

....but there are one HELL of a lot of things I regret NOT buying....

Four-way tie in my collecting career, 1989-present:

1) Pre-ordering 5 copies of Secret Defenders # 1 for full retail ($2.95 per)

2) Trading about 5 VF/NM Byrne X-Mens (including 129) for 70 issues of Ultraverse back during that single month when they were the hottest thing going.

3) Only two bad Valiant purchase of a now near-set: First, paid $25 for X-O Manowar # 3 at the absolute height of the boom. It had been on my wantlist for 5 months before my LCS got one in, and they'd had to pay over $10 for it, so I honored it, even realizing I could pick up cheaper copies at a large convention literally the next day.

4) Second, I was away at summer camp when the second month of Unity came out. Wasn't able to pick up Unity # 1 (regular) until several weeks later, when it cost me $8.

Any 90's books off the rack.

Crazy thing is I bought multiples of some of these books...

what was I thinking?

Me too :frustrated: I bought 6 sets of X-Men #1, 10 copies of New Mutants #100, and 10 copies each of Spiderman #1-10. Even though they're slab quality, I can't imagine it would be worth it. What a waste of tree.

what was I thinking?

Me too :frustrated: I bought 6 sets of X-Men #1, 10 copies of New Mutants #100, and 10 copies each of Spiderman #1-10. Even though they're slab quality, I can't imagine it would be worth it. What a waste of tree.

Yeah, every time i have to pick up and move my short box filled with X-men 1's i cant decide if i want to have someone kick me in the balls or throw up!

what was I thinking?

Yeah, every time i have to pick up and move my short box filled with X-men 1's i cant decide if i want to have someone kick me in the balls or throw up!

Halloween's right around the corner...

:baiting: