• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Name that book that regretably GOT AWAY..

27 posts in this topic

For me it was the mid 80's (I don't recall exactly when). I had $80 bucks in my pocket saved from my birthday and Christmas, which are fairly close together.

Me: "Dad! Dad! Let me borrow five bucks! There's a comic I want that's 85 dollars and I'm short!"

Dad: "85 bucks for a effing comic book?? What's it called?

Me: It's the first printing of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles number 1! I have to have it!

Dad: "Teenage turtles ninja what? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! Who would actually buy that ?"

doh!:censored::pullhair::mad:

For me, I haven't had that many experiences like that yet. I usually (knock on wood) get pretty lucky with the books that I want.

The worst was seeing a copy of the UK Hulk 181 on eBay for a very low BIN price and seeing it get bought before I could buy it... I settled for a 180.

I had been searching forever for a copy of Hi Fructose #2 that I could afford. I was the underbidder in several auctions, each time allowing my top bid to increase slightly. As I was searching completed listings one day I saw someone had listed TWO copies with BIN's of $35 each. They didn't last long of course, the magazine was selling for $350 at the time :cry:

I did eventually get a copy for much more than $35 though

For me, I haven't had that many experiences like that yet. I usually (knock on wood) get pretty lucky with the books that I want.

The worst was seeing a copy of the UK Hulk 181 on eBay for a very low BIN price and seeing it get bought before I could buy it... I settled for a 180.

I've got a UK Hulk 181 if you still need it.

There was a NM/M copy of Avengers #2 at my local comic shop for $80 (this was around 1983) and the guy said he'd hold it for me--I came back and he said he'd sold it. I was the most disappointed 13 year old in town at that point.

I don't think I ever bought from him again. If I'd owned a voodoo doll, it would have been stuck full of pins!

Early 1980's, Hulk 181, solid NM 20$. I had $5 down and the next week the shop owner said I had to put another $5 down for him to continue to hold it. I was broke, asked my mom for a loan ( I was a kid ) and she said no. I still remind her to this day, she has since apologized :)

walking dead #2 I was at a con and it was 30 bucks at the time it had not been out for very long yet ... if only i had known ... for whatever reason that was the ONE book my shop did not get in even though it had on order :S

bah

Well my grandfather said he had early Supermans and Batmans back in the day when American soldiers came to the Philippines for the war. I keep telling him he should kept them :cry:

Around 1974, there was a place in Canada called Marcs Comic Room. He'd send out a catalog every few months, and one July I got one that had a JIM 83 for a pretty decent price. I busted my all summer, mowing lawns, washing cars ect, ect. Took me almost two months but I sent hin a MO for that book and watched the mail box everyday. Some three months later, I get my MO back and a note saying he no longer was doing mail order, but if I ever got up to Canada, stop by his new shop.

Pretty much the only one I still think about is an Action Comics 2, nice shape and complete...except for the missing back cover.

It was for sale at my LCS, and it sold quickly at $500...and this was back in the early 90s.