• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Rankings 2011

211 posts in this topic

Rocketeer, I hate to derail your train of logic, but my experience with Metro is that they haven't constantly overgraded,

... I guess I'm too tight of a grader, but I always find them about 1.0 to sometimes 2.0 points overgraded,...you may be a loser grader than I

My experience is the same as Rocketeer's.

I should also add that any dealer that consistently overgrades as Metro has on essentially every book I've purchased from them should not be listed at #1, regardless of inventory.

Metro has great books and I like Vinny in person (I've never met Steve Fishler in person), but almost every book I've ever purchased from them was significantly overgraded. Having said that, I still continued to buy from them and just factored it into my purchasing decisions. Sometimes you have to overpay to get a hard-to-find book. And when it comes to hard-to-find books, Metro is one of the best places to look. But when one is making a list of the best dealers in the hobby, I would weight the "grading accuracy" factor much more highly than my friend BK has.

I concur,...If you're looking for a hard to find book no one has inventory like they do,...Vinny is one of the nicest guys out on the circuit, he really works a show,..but I feel the grading is shy and I just feel that they have been in business long enough to know better,...I'd rather pay more money (not krazy money) for an accurately graded book,... than market value for a over graded book,..

Rocketeer, I hate to derail your train of logic, but my experience with Metro is that they haven't constantly overgraded,

... I guess I'm too tight of a grader, but I always find them about 1.0 to sometimes 2.0 points overgraded,...you may be a loser grader than I

I should also add that any dealer that consistently overgrades as Metro has on essentially every book I've purchased from them should not be listed at #1, regardless of inventory.

Metro has great books and I like Vinny in person (I've never met Steve Fishler in person), but almost every book I've ever purchased from them was significantly overgraded. Having said that, I still continued to buy from them and just factored it into my purchasing decisions. Sometimes you have to overpay to get a hard-to-find book. And when it comes to hard-to-find books, Metro is one of the best places to look. But when one is making a list of the best dealers in the hobby, I would weight the "grading accuracy" factor much more highly than my friend BK has.

I concur,...If you're looking for a hard to find book no one has inventory like they do,...Vinny is one of the nicest guys out on the circuit, he really works a show,..but I feel the grading is shy and I just feel that they have been in business long enough to know better,...I'd rather pay more money (not krazy money) for an accurately graded book,... than market value for a under graded book,..

Market value for an overgraded book, you mean, but yes, I could not agree more.

I concur,...If you're looking for a hard to find book no one has inventory like they do,...Vinny is one of the nicest guys out on the circuit, he really works a show,..but I feel the grading is shy and I just feel that they have been in business long enough to know better,...I'd rather pay more money (not krazy money) for an accurately graded book,... than market value for a under graded book,..

:whistle: Metropolis graded 7.0 (raw)...

img_HT5B_053.jpg

I have found Metro's grading to be consistant. Most of the books I got from them were overgraded by .5 However, one pedigree book was graded an 8.5 and CGC gave it a 9.0 BIN prices on their site are steep, although they have auctions as well. Customer service is fair. Inventory is excellent.

..I'm very happy that you have had pleasant experiences with them Catman,...I tell you what,...I requested a scan of a book over a week ago from Metro,...if they can figure out who I am and get back to me in 48 hours with a scan I will buy that book at their asking price,...then I will sub it for a CGC grade and post the results here,...

:whistle: Metropolis graded 7.0 (raw)...

img_HT5B_053.jpg

I'm sorry, but a book with a tear like that and a small tape stain on the interior is overgraded at 7.5, IMO, regardless of what CGC in its ultimate wisdom might say.

..I was going to say the same thing, but didn't want to get jumped on,..I didn't notice the stain, but I would never grade that book at a 7.0 or a 7.5 with that tear.

..I was going to say the same thing, but didn't want to get jumped on,..I didn't notice the stain, but I would never grade that book at a 7.0 or a 7.5 with that tear.

You didn't notice the stain because it was infinitely small and on the interior (at the tear). That tear doesn't look anywhere near as bad when you see the book up close, but the fact that it's in the black area does draw more attention to it. Otherwise, this copy would probably have graded 9.0 or better (top CGC census).

I considered having the tear professionally fixed to receive an Apparent (S), but Matt (Classics, Inc.) dissuaded me; 7.5 blue is fine given the scarcity of this issue in grade.

You can disagree with the grading of course, but as I see it, CGC nailed it. :sumo:

7.5 blue is fine given the scarcity of this issue in grade.

....A pints a pound the world around,...and a 7.5 Gold is the same as a 7.5 Modern,..scarcity has nothing to do with grading,... :gossip:

Metro are notorious for poor grading. The irony of them creating the 10 point grading scale is good for endless laughs.

hm When someone says something like that it usually means that the "informed" opinion is based on rumor and the distressed party hasn't actually purchased anything from the source.

(shrug) Of course, what do I know, I've merely demonstrated empirical evidence to the contrary. :grin:

....A pints a pound the world around,...and a 7.5 Gold is the same as a 7.5 Modern,..scarcity has nothing to do with grading,... :gossip:

I think he was saying that he's happy with unrestored CGC 7.5 and does not need to try for Slight P App. 9.4.

I think he was saying that he's happy with unrestored CGC 7.5 and does not need to try for Slight P App. 9.4.

I hope so

Metro are notorious for poor grading. The irony of them creating the 10 point grading scale is good for endless laughs.

hm When someone says something like that it usually means that the "informed" opinion is based on rumor and the distressed party hasn't actually purchased anything from the source.

(shrug) Of course, what do I know, I've merely demonstrated empirical evidence to the contrary. :grin:

Yes, you have provided empirical data that even blind hogs find acorns once in a while.

Metro experience Part II:

Action 286 raw grade 38 (NM), CGC 9.4

Action 295 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.4

Action 325 raw 9.4, CGC 9.8

Action 329 raw 9.2, CGC 9.6

Action 340 raw 9.4, CGC 9.8

Action 342 raw 9.8, CGC 9.6

Action 347 raw 9.4, CGC 9.4

Action 351 raw 9.4, CGC 9.8

Action 353 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

Aquaman 29 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

Aquaman 32 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

ASM 40 raw 37 (NM-), CGC 9.2

Avengers 3 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.6

Avengers 6 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.4

Avengers 27 raw 41 (NM+), CGC 9.6

Bats 165 raw 9.4, CGC 9.4

Bats 166 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.2

Bats 168 raw 9.4, CGC 9.2

Bats 169 raw 9.2, CGC 9.6

Bats 193 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

B&B 61 raw 41 (NM+), CGC 9.6

B&B 70 raw 9.6, CGC 9.6

Tec 324 raw 37 (NM-), CGC 9.4

Tec 331 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.6

Tec 363 raw 41 (NM+), CGC 9.6

Tec 414 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

yeah, they blow. everyone should buy from someone else

Clever diversion, but way off topic from the point I was making about the actual appearance of the book. That said, a 7.5 modern with or without a tear will probably be next to worthless (undesirable) if there are a hundred 9.8 copies of the same issue circulating among collectors; you're comparing golden apples to orange flavored Tang. How do you like them apples? :boo:

BTW, I'm just messin' with ya. :makepoint:

Give that man a see-gar! :applause:

Metro experience Part II:

Action 286 raw grade 38 (NM), CGC 9.4

Action 295 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.4

Action 325 raw 9.4, CGC 9.8

Action 329 raw 9.2, CGC 9.6

Action 340 raw 9.4, CGC 9.8

Action 342 raw 9.8, CGC 9.6

Action 347 raw 9.4, CGC 9.4

Action 351 raw 9.4, CGC 9.8

Action 353 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

Aquaman 29 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

Aquaman 32 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

ASM 40 raw 37 (NM-), CGC 9.2

Avengers 3 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.6

Avengers 6 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.4

Avengers 27 raw 41 (NM+), CGC 9.6

Bats 165 raw 9.4, CGC 9.4

Bats 166 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.2

Bats 168 raw 9.4, CGC 9.2

Bats 169 raw 9.2, CGC 9.6

Bats 193 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

B&B 61 raw 41 (NM+), CGC 9.6

B&B 70 raw 9.6, CGC 9.6

Tec 324 raw 37 (NM-), CGC 9.4

Tec 331 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.6

Tec 363 raw 41 (NM+), CGC 9.6

Tec 414 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

yeah, they blow. everyone should buy from someone else

That hasn't been my experience in the past. If it had been, I would have been as happy as you are with the grading.

...I have no intensions of derailing this thread,..and by no means am I saying that Metro is the devil and you shouldn't buy from them,...all I'm saying is that in my opinion, by no means are they the logical choice of the best dealer out there,...I'm sure hundreds of you have recieved fairly if not undergraded books from them,..however I think there are probably just as many that feel the opposite and that doesn't add to #1 in my book,...plus as a few people have pointed out their customer service blows,...the guy who buys the Action #1 should be treated the same as the guy who buys the Action #300, and if they can't do that and they don't feel that way then they shouldn't be selling less expensive books ,...so will all you cry babbies just STFU,.....thank you,... :foryou: