• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Rankings 2011

211 posts in this topic

If you haven't visited Superworld (Ted Van Liew) and you're within 2 hours of Holden Mass, GO! Ted is awesome, his wife Lisa is awesome, Jose is awesome - even his dog is awesome. I guess I can call my autumn trip there "annual" since it's happened two years in a row, but I do plan to get there every year. His stock is amazing, and his prices are fair. Every thing I've gotten slabbed from him has either been right on the money or graded more harshly by Ted himself. He's always cut me a break when buying a bunch, but even without that, its just a really fun time.

I also have to give mad props to Ralph Dibernardo of JetPack in Rochester NH. Its out of the way, but his shop is EXACTLY the way what a local comics shop should be. Its well stocked, well organized, and will not remind you of some parent's basement. I'd walk an hour each way to hang out there if I could.

Welcome to the boards. Nice post. Ted is a nice guy.

This is a cool post, but I live the other side of the pond so not visited any of these wonderful places.

Are there any UK based members who would like to 'nominate' their LCS - or not as the case may be - as long as you do not mentioned FP :makepoint:.

For me, living in the Channel Isles, I do not have a LCS, but have a standing order with ComicanaDirect. I have been a customer for many years (before that I was a customer of Skinny Melinks - long since disappeared). ComicanaDirect have just got their new website up and running - looking good and their service is very good.

I have used Silver Acre for back issues a good few years back and they were always fair with pricing and grades.

Cheers,

Waylander

For me, living in the Channel Isles, I do not have a LCS, but have a standing order with ComicanaDirect. I have been a customer for many years (before that I was a customer of Skinny Melinks - long since disappeared). ComicanaDirect have just got their new website up and running - looking good and their service is very good.

:hi:

Thanks for the kind words! :foryou:

This is a cool post, but I live the other side of the pond so not visited any of these wonderful places.

Are there any UK based members who would like to 'nominate' their LCS - or not as the case may be - as long as you do not mentioned FP :makepoint:.

I have used Silver Acre for back issues a good few years back and they were always fair with pricing and grades.

Cheers,

Waylander

Well then,you are dealing with one of the best in the business.I don't know about the original list in this thread,some are outstanding,some I would pass.ComicanaDirect/Flaming Telepath would be in my personal top ten. :applause:

As would Rick Whitelock/New Force,Bob Storms/HighGradeComics,and Harley Yee.Also some Boardies Bosco/Nick,Resurrection/Pat,Bunky Bros./Brian,HotFlips.I don't give my money to just anyone, unless I know I get impeccable service and quality stuff.

Cheers,

Waylander

I remember Skinny Melinks, on Lewisham Way.

They used to regularly have a crazy 50p sale on Sundays and I used to come back with bags full of X-Men in the 200's, nothing in NM though. :sorry:

Cheers,

Waylander

I remember Skinny Melinks, on Lewisham Way.

They used to regularly have a crazy 50p sale on Sundays and I used to come back with bags full of X-Men in the 200's, nothing in NM though. :sorry:

Did you know any of the Skinny regulars? hm

I think this top ten list should be more dealer based and not national auction house focused as people already have their opinions of them as they are huge and well known.

As a separate category, Here is my ranking of the auction houses.

#1 I love buying Heritage CGC books, Awesome customer service, very rarely do they ever make mistakes, when they do they bend over backwards for you. They even ship me books now before I pay for them based on my track record! WOW! Great deals can be found if you scour the big event auctions for hours and hours and watch the live auction to avoid being sniped in the last second with a lousy cut bid. However, why on earth would you sell your books there with 3.5 times the commission as other sites? (buyer and sellers fees combined)

#2 Comiclink, Some good deals slip through the cracks. They had great service when they were small. Since then, I have had slower and far worse customer & shipping service. I was told a stolen package from my porch where they skimped and had no signature confirmation was my own problem! At least my credit card company disagreed!

#3 Comic Connect, Good deals if you only buy their CGC books. I could live with the over grading, you just adjust your bid price for that and expect it to be a little loose. However, in my last order books that were "CC grade verified" they missed major flaws, VG+ with 2" by 2" piece out of back cover, VG+ with clipped centerfold and VF with trimming, this on 3 separate key silver age comics! Response: "If I am worried about my lack of skill (and I am fairly skilled) catching the restoration and grading issues they miss within the first few days, I should just stick to just buying their CGC books"!!! WTF!!! At least that grader is now gone, but be warned to look over your raw books very closely right out of the box!

I think this top ten list should be more dealer based and not national auction house focused as people already have their opinions of them as they are huge and well known.

As a separate category, Here is my ranking of the auction houses.

#1 I love buying Heritage CGC books, Awesome customer service, very rarely do they ever make mistakes, when they do they bend over backwards for you. They even ship me books now before I pay for them based on my track record! WOW! Great deals can be found if you scour the big event auctions for hours and hours and watch the live auction to avoid being sniped in the last second with a lousy cut bid. However, why on earth would you sell your books there with 3.5 times the commission as other sites? (buyer and sellers fees combined)

Heritage have great inventory if you're a buyer, but selling on there is ridiculous. You'd nett 30% less than what a buyer is prepared to pay after all the fees are added to the hammer price. I have however got great deals on Heritage - especially in the Sunday auctions and their service is exceptional.

Plug for worldwide comics!

I've never really bought much from major dealers before; always avoiding it as I've always been disappointed with the transaction.

I did just order a book from WW and the service (I asked questions by email) was outstanding. Between actually a fair price and the HUGE scan on the website and the great service, its been an outstanding experience so far and not what I was expecting!