• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Rankings 2011

211 posts in this topic

Metro experience Part II:

Action 286 raw grade 38 (NM), CGC 9.4

Action 295 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.4

Action 325 raw 9.4, CGC 9.8

Action 329 raw 9.2, CGC 9.6

Action 340 raw 9.4, CGC 9.8

Action 342 raw 9.8, CGC 9.6

Action 347 raw 9.4, CGC 9.4

Action 351 raw 9.4, CGC 9.8

Action 353 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

Aquaman 29 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

Aquaman 32 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

ASM 40 raw 37 (NM-), CGC 9.2

Avengers 3 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.6

Avengers 6 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.4

Avengers 27 raw 41 (NM+), CGC 9.6

Bats 165 raw 9.4, CGC 9.4

Bats 166 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.2

Bats 168 raw 9.4, CGC 9.2

Bats 169 raw 9.2, CGC 9.6

Bats 193 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

B&B 61 raw 41 (NM+), CGC 9.6

B&B 70 raw 9.6, CGC 9.6

Tec 324 raw 37 (NM-), CGC 9.4

Tec 331 raw 38 (NM), CGC 9.6

Tec 363 raw 41 (NM+), CGC 9.6

Tec 414 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

yeah, they blow. everyone should buy from someone else

That hasn't been my experience in the past. If it had been, I would have been as happy as you are with the grading.

I'll give paperheart some credit here: He's provided more than one anecdotal example (which drives me nuts when people do that to prove a broad-reaching claim). While I know others have had a lot of negative experiences with them, I'd consider this evidence that Metro can also get it right too.

At the end of the day, the guys at Metro position themselves to be #1. When you do that, you're going to draw fire and that's standard practice whenever someone is in the hot seat.

I could offer my experience, but frankly, there haven't been enough purchases, in my mind, that make it worth mentioning.

B&B 70 raw 9.6, CGC 9.6

Tec 414 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

That hasn't been my experience in the past. If it had been, I would have been as happy as you are with the grading.

i'm not questioning your experience, i'm stating based on mine it's not universal

Back in the 90's I bought some high grade GA books from a Metro ad in the old Comic Buyer's Guide. About 5 years ago I decided to sell the books, still raw, and offered them to Metro, specifically Vinnie, at a convention. I showed him the books, he looked them up in the OSPG and basically offered me the Fine price across the Board. Naturally I balked and he said they were mid grade books and his offer was fair. I still had the original ad, with the metro grades and prices. I honestly don't remember if I showed him the ad, I was so mad I just walked away. Sorry guys but Metro doesn't do it for me.

i'm not questioning your experience, i'm stating based on mine it's not universal

I didn't think you were. My point was that your results are pretty compelling. They aren't what I experienced, but they are very good.

B&B 70 raw 9.6, CGC 9.6

Tec 414 raw 9.4, CGC 9.6

I'll give paperheart some credit here: He's provided more than one anecdotal example (which drives me nuts when people do that to prove a broad-reaching claim). While I know others have had a lot of negative experiences with them, I'd consider this evidence that Metro can also get it right too.

At the end of the day, the guys at Metro position themselves to be #1. When you do that, you're going to draw fire and that's standard practice whenever someone is in the hot seat.

I could offer my experience, but frankly, there haven't been enough purchases, in my mind, that make it worth mentioning.

That is a very fair assessment of the situation, Mac Man.

BTW, I have more than one example, so it isn't anecdotal, but I used the Human Torch #5 example because the .5 difference is substantial ($$$) for a book like this. What I consider a broad-reaching claim is when someone makes a general statement that a dealer routinely over-grades. That too, should be followed up by examples that can be substantiated. Words which imply distrust through accepted common knowledge can in fact be injurious to a business.

My slightly restored Cap #10 also got a boost because the raw grading was dead on, priced reasonably and only got a slight knock when slabbed (CGC) for the cover having been cleaned (all disclosed by Metro prior to purchase).

There are a few other raw books purchased from Metro in my collection as yet unsubmitted to CGC for grading, but based on my own inspection the grading seems very close.

I buy books from a number of dealers; I'm not ranking Metropolis better or worse than any other dealer that I've had good business relations with.

I buy books from a number of dealers; I'm not ranking Metropolis better or worse than any other dealer that I've had good business relations with.

In essence then, you disagree with Brian's assessment that Metro is the best.

Would those others that had good experiences with Metro rate them the best ?

They do have the inventory, they are big, but are they the best ?

In essence then, you disagree with Brian's assessment that Metro is the best.

Would those others that had good experiences with Metro rate them the best ?

They do have the inventory, they are big, but are they the best ?

Hey, if Top Ten lists meant anything I'd probably list John Verzyl (Comic Heaven) as the best because he personally delivers my books and has the best GA inventory around, bar none. (thumbs u

Seriously, I couldn't care less about rankings, "in essence" or any other way; I thought that I'd made that clear in an earlier response. Unless there's a drum roll and rim-shot involved, my experience has been that Top Ten lists are just a masturbatory exercise designed to stir controversy. No disrespect to Brian intended.

Brian's assessment is fine and Metro certainly has the bragging rights. My criticism is of the unsubstantiated claims that Metro routinely over-grades (which hasn't been my experience), not Brian's opinion of Dealer rankings.

I just wanted to add that I once walked into Bob's booth at a Florida show. I said 'Hi' and for no reason at all, he kicked me in the nuts and, while I was on the ground, proceeded to bash my head in with a Marvel Milestones (can't recall which one) until I was nearly unconscious. He then poured the rest of his diet Sprite on me and told me to get out of his booth or he would eat my heart.

I'm sure it was a case of mistaken identity. But ever since then, I only buy from him online. Too gruff for me.

PS: The above story is a total fabrication.

I just wanted to add that I once walked into Bob's booth at a Florida show. I said 'Hi' and for no reason at all, he kicked me in the nuts and, while I was on the ground, proceeded to bash my head in with a Marvel Milestones (can't recall which one) until I was nearly unconscious. He then poured the rest of his diet Sprite on me and told me to get out of his booth or he would eat my heart.

I'm sure it was a case of mistaken identity. But ever since then, I only buy from him online. Too gruff for me.

Yep, that's the Bob I know! :applause:

Actually it was Ted who likes to berate skinny guys pointing umbrella's in his face.

And for the record I'm not the dealer who got into a bench clearing softball fight after belittling the competition with his command of the english language.

PS: The above story is a total fabrication.

+1. He did it to me twice.

Metro are notorious for poor grading. The irony of them creating the 10 point grading scale is good for endless laughs.

hm When someone says something like that it usually means that the "informed" opinion is based on rumor and the distressed party hasn't actually purchased anything from the source.

(shrug) Of course, what do I know, I've merely demonstrated empirical evidence to the contrary. :grin:

you are right. I will not give them my business, and my opinion is based off of my friends dealings with them. But by all means, speak however you like. It takes alot more then that to insult me.