• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally some love being shown for Captain America #1
1 1

93 posts in this topic

I know Comic Link does not report to GPA but this year on GPA only one Cap #1 has sold. It was a restored 6.0 signature for $15K.

In comparison Batman #1 has 5 recorded GPA sales for 2011.

Back in 2010 unrestored Cap #1 had GPA sales of

4.5 OW/W 1 small piece of tape on interior cover. Sold $21,500. Decent price as guide at the time was $20,500

Then a

6.5 OFF-WHITE (blue label) Very minor amount of color touch on cover. Very minor amount of glue on cover. Sold for $23,500. Not good as guide was $36,400. I'm sure CT and glue played a factor with the low price.

Now in the last few weeks a C-Link 6.5 has sold for $36,400 and this Cap #1 CGC 4.5 is already at a whopping $33,400 with over 2 weeks to go.

Plus the 9.2 now on Comic Connect could be off the charts when it finishes. (It will crush the Tec #33 9.2)

Is the uptick in price due to the Cap movie or are collectors starting to realize that Cap #1 is a relative bargain compared to other major GA #1's?

Yes I still have it and it's a 5.0

People were asking how much and I had priced it at $27k so it wouldn't sell. I believe I've taken it to a couple other shows since then but did not put a price on it.

You have a good memory.

Metropolis had a Cap 1 7.0 listed at $80k last week and sold it. Its probably in large part due to the movie but it looks like prices have more than doubled across the board on Cap 1s since last year. Similar to what happened on Batman 1s a few years ago.

About time in my opinion, Cap 1 has been severely undervalued in recent years and was due for a big jump.

Metropolis had a Cap 1 7.0 listed at $80k last week and sold it. Its probably in large part due to the movie but it looks like prices have more than doubled across the board on Cap 1s since last year. Similar to what happened on Batman 1s a few years ago.

About time in my opinion, Cap 1 has been severely undervalued in recent years and was due for a big jump.

There are some good arguments that Cap will be the main golden age Timely book in the future,as similar to AF #15 eventually replaced FF#1 as the most valuable Marvel silver age key.

Example way more people know who Captain America is now then who Subby or the original Human Torch are.

A major blockbuster movie can do that. 2c

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

If you recall my prediction of the top books in 2020, I put cap #1 on top of Marvel#1. Looks like it will come true way before. Cap#1 in 9.2 is worth 1 million dollars in my opinion in today's market if not more. I have seen the copy at SDCC, the best book in the whole convention and the best book I have seen in years at the SDCC. Graded very very accurate. People were taking about 250K for the sales price, I think higher and a lot higher and if not somebody is going to get the best deal in comic fandom in a number of years. The movie is great and will probably increase the value sooner, but it was destiny that this book become the "king" of all GA marvels, in fact I discussed this very issue with John, the owner of the 9.6 and his purchase price of 265K, then a record price at SDCC last weeK

If you have the juice....go for cap 1 9.2 you will never regret it.

Edited by Mmehdy

If you recall my prediction of the top books in 2020, I put cap #1 on top of Marvel#1. Looks like it will come true way before............it was destiny that this book become the "king" of all GA marvels.

Mitch;

I hope that Veryzl is going to take your advice and dump that turd of a book, namely his supposedly 9.8 Church copy of Marvel #1, before it becomes totally worthless. lol

If worse comes to worse, I can probably find some way to convince myself to add that POS book to my personal collection. :cloud9::takeit:

BTW: Mitch, it's good to see you posting in threads other than your own! (thumbs u

Edited by lou_fine

Didn't Metropolis have a heavily restored Cap 1 4.0 for 8K before SDCC? Its gone now.

Yeah they did. I saw this book listed on at least 2 different sites.

It was for sale for a long time before it sold/removed.

Lou Fine

Talked to John about which is better cap or marvel, I can only speak for myself, but I do not consider the marvel 1 in ungraded 9.8 a turd by any means. I do not have permission from john to write what he told me, but I will say this, if I had a chance to own 9.8 cap one and 9.8 marvel.....in a new york second I would take cap.

9.2 cap price coming up it will be interesting to see if that is more desirable than marvel 1.

I have seen the book in person, I grade it 9.2-9.4 easy, if there is such a grade 9.2+, and it is a very very valuable book.

Time will tell LF

Edited by Mmehdy

I can certainly agree with Mitch's statement that Cap #1 will be the top Marvel book if it isn't so already.

+1

We have discussed it before and I have always been in the camp that Cap #1 is the top Timely GA key book, just like AF #15 is the most important SA (and Timely/Atlas/Marvel overall).

I can certainly agree with Mitch's statement that Cap #1 will be the top Marvel book if it isn't so already.

+1

We have discussed it before and I have always been in the camp that Cap #1 is the top Timely GA key book, just like AF #15 is the most important SA (and Timely/Atlas/Marvel overall).

Nah, I just don't buy this point of view at all.

Although Cap is a bigger name than either Subby or the Human Torch, he is still only a 2nd tier character at best and still not generally known in the public domain. All of this positive energy for Cap at the moment is just based upon the current movie hype.

Remember how "Tec #27 was able to overtake Action #1 for a short period of time due to all of the movie hype. When all was said and done, Action #1 took back its rightful place as the #1 book, even though Sups has not been as popular Bats over the past decade and more. If Cap can't overtake Marvel #1 with the current hype, I don's see how he is going to be able to do it over the long-run once the current movie hype dies back down.

In addition, Marvel Comics #1 came out in 1939 and Cap #1 came out much later in 1941 when comic books were already well established. That difference in time is much much more than a simple 2 years from a collecting point of view.

+1

Although Cap is a bigger name than either Subby or the Human Torch, he is still only a 2nd tier character at best and still not generally known in the public domain. All of this positive energy for Cap at the moment is just based upon the current movie hype.

Remember how "Tec #27 was able to overtake Action #1 for a short period of time due to all of the movie hype. When all was said and done, Action #1 took back its rightful place as the #1 book, even though Sups has not been as popular Bats over the past decade and more. If Cap can't overtake Marvel #1 with the current hype, I don's see how he is going to be able to do it over the long-run once the current movie hype dies back down.

In addition, Marvel Comics #1 came out in 1939 and Cap #1 came out much later in 1941 when comic books were already well established. That difference in time is much much more than a simple 2 years from a collecting point of view.

+1 for MC #1 being the book

I would also buy a Cap #1 as well

I always wondered why somebody who has a high price/high profile comic book like this wouldn`t just send it in to CGC to get it slabbed?

I see this a lot on Ebay.People selling books worth over a thousand dollars,yet they don`t get them CGC`ed. hm

+1

I don't follow your thinking on this one. During the 1940's, Cap obviously out sold Sub-Mariner & Human Torch.Look at how far their solo titles went compared to Cap's. Secondly, Cap as a 2nd tier character?!? He was one of three main characters (Human Torch, Subby & Cap). Thirdly, Fantastic Four came out well before Amazing Fantasy #15, but look which book sells for more.

I can see Cap #1 over taking Marvel #1, by shear popularity.

I always wondered why somebody who has a high price/high profile comic book like this wouldn`t just send it in to CGC to get it slabbed?

I see this a lot on Ebay.People selling books worth over a thousand dollars,yet they don`t get them CGC`ed. hm

+1

totally agree (thumbs u