• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally some love being shown for Captain America #1
1 1

93 posts in this topic

I always wondered why somebody who has a high price/high profile comic book like this wouldn`t just send it in to CGC to get it slabbed?

I see this a lot on Ebay.People selling books worth over a thousand dollars,yet they don`t get them CGC`ed. hm

+1

totally agree (thumbs u

I have a VF/VF- Cap #1 raw that has the cover cleaned. It would not benefit me to have it graded. (shrug)

There's an expense to ship it to CGC, the expense of grading, and the expense to have it shipped back, insured both ways (additional expense.) Plus, now it's in a purple label (easier to sell if you deslab and put the label in the back of a mylar with full board.) Sometimes the cost is prohibitive.

I always wondered why somebody who has a high price/high profile comic book like this wouldn`t just send it in to CGC to get it slabbed?

I see this a lot on Ebay.People selling books worth over a thousand dollars,yet they don`t get them CGC`ed. hm

+1

totally agree (thumbs u

I have a VF/VF- Cap #1 raw that has the cover cleaned. It would not benefit me to have it graded. (shrug)

There's an expense to ship it to CGC, the expense of grading, and the expense to have it shipped back, insured both ways (additional expense.) Plus, now it's in a purple label (easier to sell if you deslab and put the label in the back of a mylar with full board.) Sometimes the cost is prohibitive.

i hear what you are saying but really though...

if you want to sell a 4 figure+ book and have serious buyers KNOW what they are getting you need to have it CGC graded. fact.

the ebay listing for the cap#1 is stated as "unrestored".

i think the buyer would benefit to have the book graded prior to listing so that there is an independent professional third party that dictates what is "unrestored" and what is not.

similar to getting a low grade action #10 graded before selling...

I can certainly agree with Mitch's statement that Cap #1 will be the top Marvel book if it isn't so already.

+1

We have discussed it before and I have always been in the camp that Cap #1 is the top Timely GA key book, just like AF #15 is the most important SA (and Timely/Atlas/Marvel overall).

Nah, I just don't buy this point of view at all.

Although Cap is a bigger name than either Subby or the Human Torch, he is still only a 2nd tier character at best and still not generally known in the public domain. All of this positive energy for Cap at the moment is just based upon the current movie hype.

Remember how "Tec #27 was able to overtake Action #1 for a short period of time due to all of the movie hype. When all was said and done, Action #1 took back its rightful place as the #1 book, even though Sups has not been as popular Bats over the past decade and more. If Cap can't overtake Marvel #1 with the current hype, I don's see how he is going to be able to do it over the long-run once the current movie hype dies back down.

In addition, Marvel Comics #1 came out in 1939 and Cap #1 came out much later in 1941 when comic books were already well established. That difference in time is much much more than a simple 2 years from a collecting point of view.

I don't follow your thinking on this one. During the 1940's, Cap obviously out sold Sub-Mariner & Human Torch.Look at how far their solo titles went compared to Cap's. Secondly, Cap as a 2nd tier character?!? He was one of three main characters (Human Torch, Subby & Cap). Thirdly, Fantastic Four came out well before Amazing Fantasy #15, but look which book sells for more.

I can see Cap #1 over taking Marvel #1, by shear popularity.

This is my line of thinking. It was not that long ago when older school SA collectors were arguing that FF would not be overtaken by AF #15, but it happened. As a kid that started reading comics in the mid to late 80s I did not get why the FF had the "World's Greatest Comic" tagline when it sucked big time compared to the X-Men and ASM.

As collecting and investing generations change their preferences do as well. While MC #1 might hold a special place for older GA collectors, it does not have the 1st appearance of any notable characters that appeals to the newer ones. Cap #1 features the 1st appearance of the only Timely GA character that has staying power and is still relevant. In the end, the character is the key IMHO, not the publication date (which is why AF #15 will likely end up the 3rd most valuable book when all is said and done behind Action #1 and Tec #27).

AF 15 is the second right now at 1.1 million, and rightfully so, a 9.8 copy and I bet there are probably 1 or 2 out there would hit 1.5 easy. Marvel #1 is a great book but not on the level of Cap 1. Years ago 2 years age diff made a big deal to GA collectors as time goes on the difference of a couple years will fade....Cap one is a better book than marvel 1, and the 9.2 is very very undervalued at this time.

Edited by Mmehdy

+1

totally agree (thumbs u

if you want to sell a 4 figure+ book and have serious buyers KNOW what they are getting you need to have it CGC graded. fact.

i think the buyer would benefit to have the book graded prior to listing so that there is an independent professional third party that dictates what is "unrestored" and what is not.

You are correct; for a unrestored book at that price range, it is silly to not have it graded and maximize the sell price (just by assuring the book is unrestored & the given grade.) For a restored book, all you'd be doing is putting a huge purple stop sign over it; better to just list it as restored raw.

I can certainly agree with Mitch's statement that Cap #1 will be the top Marvel book if it isn't so already.

+1

We have discussed it before and I have always been in the camp that Cap #1 is the top Timely GA key book, just like AF #15 is the most important SA (and Timely/Atlas/Marvel overall).

Nah, I just don't buy this point of view at all.

Although Cap is a bigger name than either Subby or the Human Torch, he is still only a 2nd tier character at best and still not generally known in the public domain. All of this positive energy for Cap at the moment is just based upon the current movie hype.

Remember how "Tec #27 was able to overtake Action #1 for a short period of time due to all of the movie hype. When all was said and done, Action #1 took back its rightful place as the #1 book, even though Sups has not been as popular Bats over the past decade and more. If Cap can't overtake Marvel #1 with the current hype, I don's see how he is going to be able to do it over the long-run once the current movie hype dies back down.

In addition, Marvel Comics #1 came out in 1939 and Cap #1 came out much later in 1941 when comic books were already well established. That difference in time is much much more than a simple 2 years from a collecting point of view.

I don't follow your thinking on this one. During the 1940's, Cap obviously out sold Sub-Mariner & Human Torch.Look at how far their solo titles went compared to Cap's. Secondly, Cap as a 2nd tier character?!? He was one of three main characters (Human Torch, Subby & Cap). Thirdly, Fantastic Four came out well before Amazing Fantasy #15, but look which book sells for more.

I can see Cap #1 over taking Marvel #1, by shear popularity.

This is my line of thinking. It was not that long ago when older school SA collectors were arguing that FF would not be overtaken by AF #15, but it happened. As a kid that started reading comics in the mid to late 80s I did not get why the FF had the "World's Greatest Comic" tagline when it sucked big time compared to the X-Men and ASM.

As a collector who grew up reading comics during the SA, I can tell you that Fantastic Four was during the 1960's Marvel's flagship title; Every book in the Marvel universe rotated around the Fantastic Four. More cross-overs, more villains, more heroes debuted in that title than any other magazine (Amazing Spider-man is the next closest to this title in this respect.) Unfortunately, the writing and art started a slow decline late in the 1960's and never really stopped. Kirby leaving was a big disappointment, Buscema did well, but the stories themselves suffered. After Buscema, the art suffered again. By the 1980's, Marvel's were just a shadow of what they were in the 1960's. Sadly, the Fantastic Four just became another super-hero group. Byrne bumped the interest, but that didn't last either.

I understand how the FF are viewed today, but at one time they really deserved the "World's Greatest Comic Magazine" title.

+1

totally agree (thumbs u

You are correct; for a unrestored book at that price range, it is silly to not have it graded and maximize the sell price (just by assuring the book is unrestored & the given grade.) For a restored book, all you'd be doing is putting a huge purple stop sign over it; better to just list it as restored raw.

IMHO i still believe it best to cgc.

even for a restored book.

only then can you truely know to what extent the book has been restored.

purple is the the sign of true disclosure :cloud9:

2c

+1

totally agree (thumbs u

IMHO i still believe it best to cgc.

even for a restored book.

only then can you truely know to what extent the book has been restored.

purple is the the sign of true disclosure :cloud9:

2c

I agree,

I bought my Tec 36 raw off ebay knowing it had something done to it, but no clue what or how much work. Once it was in hand I had a better idea, but until it came back from CGC I really didn't have a clue.

That Cap 1 looks to have some paper issues and I think the seller is a bit generous with the minor water stain. That being said it is what it is and a solid key.

There is no doubt in my mind the Cap 1 is the GS Marvel key hands down. Although I under why Marvel 1 is important I have no desire to own the book and I think it will continue to decline. The characters are not popular nor relevant in today's market and that pushes demand with all books these days.

I see a huge upswing on this book over the next few years and hope to upgrade my copy at some point.

James G

What Marvel needs is a G.A. Human Torch/G.A. Subbie movie that culminates with a battle ala Marvel 9.

I would hope for a more spectacular ending.......that battle just kind of fizzled out. :P

What Marvel needs is a G.A. Human Torch/G.A. Subbie movie that culminates with a battle ala Marvel 9.

I would hope for a more spectacular ending.......that battle just kind of fizzled out. :P

It's perfect for a movie. The battle would culminate in their joining forces to battle the evil of the Axis in WWII. Maybe with these two going at it we'd finally get some of that over-the-top Schomburg visual mayhem on the silver screen.

:banana:

The HT (an android) and the Sub-Mariner (a hybrid) would then be able to transition into the modern world seamlessly, much like Cap. (thumbs u

By drawing in the superhero crowd as well as the war film enthusiast,

WW2 superhero films can be very profitable like the Cap movie and the 1991 Rocketeer. You got the fantasy of the superhero as well as the fantasy setting of a bygone past...as long as they handle it properly and with respect, it shouldn't miss. I hope they're thinking about a Torch/Sub-Mariner battle as well and they can throw in some of the other Timely characters as cameos.

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/07/24/box-office-report-july-22-24/

By drawing in the superhero crowd as well as the war film enthusiast,

WW2 superhero films can be very profitable like the Cap movie and the 1991 Rocketeer. You got the fantasy of the superhero as well as the fantasy setting of a bygone past...as long as they handle it properly and with respect, it shouldn't miss. I hope they're thinking about a Torch/Sub-Mariner battle as well and they can throw in some of the other Timely characters as cameos.

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/07/24/box-office-report-july-22-24/

Well put! I'm in!