• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Iron Man 55 really Thanos true first appearance?

259 posts in this topic

Hulk #180 is NOT A CAMEO.

doh!

If ONE PANEL - the absolute minimum appearance in comics - isn't a cameo/brief appearance, I don't know what is.

Cameo is a movie term and shouldn't even be used in comics. A cameo is a first appearance. Even in movies.

No. In movie terms....a cameo can NEVER be a first appearance.

I didn't know that.

So what exact number of minutes screen time does hollywood consider a cameo?

doh!

If ONE PANEL - the absolute minimum appearance in comics - isn't a cameo/brief appearance, I don't know what is.

Cameo is a movie term and shouldn't even be used in comics. A cameo is a first appearance. Even in movies.

I didn't know that.

It could be a cameo and 1st film appearance as well. But I agree, a cameo can happen many times in many movies and so it might not always have the distinction of being a first appearance; just think of Stan Lee or Stephen King cameos (plenty). Although it's fuzzy, I also don't really agree that these cases are really first appearances, as we've obviously been acquainted with those characters and personas far before the films.

doh!

I didn't know that.

I could be a cameo and 1st film appearance as well. But I agree, a cameo can happen many times in many movies and so it might not always have the distinction of being a first appearance; just think of Stan Lee or Stephen King cameos (plenty).

So since Stan Lee has had only cameos and in film a cameo is not an appearance we can say Stan Lee has never appeared in movies?

doh!

I didn't know that.

I could be a cameo and 1st film appearance as well. But I agree, a cameo can happen many times in many movies and so it might not always have the distinction of being a first appearance; just think of Stan Lee or Stephen King cameos (plenty).

So since Stan Lee has had only cameos and in film a cameo is not an appearance we can say Stan Lee has never appeared in movies?

How did you arrive at that? Not making a first appearance does not equate to 'not' making an appearance at all. And who said a cameo is not an appearance?

doh!

I didn't know that.

How did you arrive at that? Not making a first appearance does not equate to 'not' making an appearance at all.

So Stan does have a 'first appearance'? And, it's a cameo?......hmmmmm

doh!

I didn't know that.

How did you arrive at that? Not making a first appearance does not equate to 'not' making an appearance at all.

So Stan does have a 'first appearance'? And, it's a cameo?......hmmmmm

Sure, his first appearance is somewhere in New York City. I didn't explicitly state Stan had a first appearance in movies (you could argue the first 'film' appearance was spider-man animation), but again, since their personas are already known and established prior to the films, I'd just call all of those individual appearances for Stan and Stephen, cameos.

Ok. I thought you said a cameo is not a first appearance in film.

a brief appearance or voice part of a KNOWN person

So since Wolverine in 180 was not a known person it was not a cameo.

It's his first appearance.

Bingo

Bingo

Exactly

Bingo

I argued it's his first appearance AND cameo. Not mutually exclusive in my eyes.

Reading the above, I see the semantic argument of using or not using the term cameo... maybe first and brief appearance is better. doh!

CGC: we've just eliminated the 'cameo' argument-please start labeling 180 correctly.

Bingo

I argued it's his first appearance AND cameo. Not mutually exclusive in my eyes.

It can't be a cameo if cameo is defined as a known person.

Bingo

It can't be a cameo if cameo is defined as a known person.

Bizzare - but yep, I commented on that in my edit to prior post.

I'm calling this the greatest controversy in comics.

By all standards of logic and with comparative studies eg Darkseid, 180 IS THE FIRST APPEARANCE OF WOLVERINE. PERIOD.

A cameo can be a first appearance in film, because they are real people.

With fictional characters, the first appearance cannot be a cameo, but just a first appearance.

That would work. I just hate how 180 has been basically ignored for what it is.

First minor appearance and introduction of Wolverine. He actually introduces himself.

True but we're not talking 'coolest appearance' here we're talking 'first appearance'-that should be all that matters...