• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Iron Man 55 really Thanos true first appearance?

259 posts in this topic

Hulk 180 should be the book of choice for Wolverine fans,clearly the 1st app. of wolvie.

If it's mandatory, then how is it a choice? Is your address 600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

Is that the ramada Inn down the street from the white house?

What about 1st apocalypse, 1st taskmaster and 1st archangel ? All appear very briefly in their first appearance ( two on the last page , I'm not sure how many panels for archangel) I'm on board with these being considered true 1st appearances. Who decides what defines a cameo or full appearance? I know it's common sense to call a 1 panel appearance a cameo but there are always exceptions. For example , X factor 5 has apocalypse cast in shadow only showing his outline, while hulk 180 and avengers 195 show full color depictions of wolverine and taskmaster. And in the xmen annual with gambit I believe it's 7 pages or panels, these examples all vary but are still considered cameos.

Also what about the first boba fett and Harley Quinn, those tend to stir up some debate.

The first Boba Fett is the Marvel Comics Illustrated Version of Empire Strikes Back paperback (1st printing.) I wasn't aware of a debate concerning this.

Well I'll fill you in. The first true " comic book" appearance of boba fett is argued to be SW #42. There's the debate. I have made you aware! :D

I think all the "cameo" books are a great buy on speculation. They are cheaper, tend to track percentage gains with the "First Full Appearance" and have the upshot that 30 years from now collectors may changes their minds and want the first time the character appeared in a story. There is also the added scarcity bonus is some situations. For instance the last panel of 180 caused a ton of hype for 181 and higher print orders. Both of these books are good to own, but I bet you see a better return on 180 over the next 10-20 years. I don't think 180 will supplant 181, but I think it will pull closer in value.

And I really don't think there is any questions that Thanos' first appearance is IM 55.

Not sure this happened sir.

These books had monthly cover dates that were like two months ahead to insure longer shelf life (if the book had a "Sept" cover date, then it really was on the stands in like July).

Don't really think they could have uped the print runs as easily back in '74 like they can now with instant sales tracking via the internet, etc.

Boscoe is an expert on print runs and sales data... lets ask him hm

Hulk 180 should be the book of choice for Wolverine fans,clearly the 1st app. of wolvie.

If it's mandatory, then how is it a choice? Is your address 600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

What about 1st apocalypse, 1st taskmaster and 1st archangel ? All appear very briefly in their first appearance ( two on the last page , I'm not sure how many panels for archangel) I'm on board with these being considered true 1st appearances. Who decides what defines a cameo or full appearance? I know it's common sense to call a 1 panel appearance a cameo but there are always exceptions. For example , X factor 5 has apocalypse cast in shadow only showing his outline, while hulk 180 and avengers 195 show full color depictions of wolverine and taskmaster. And in the xmen annual with gambit I believe it's 7 pages or panels, these examples all vary but are still considered cameos.

Also what about the first boba fett and Harley Quinn, those tend to stir up some debate.

The first Boba Fett is the Marvel Comics Illustrated Version of Empire Strikes Back paperback (1st printing.) I wasn't aware of a debate concerning this.

Well I'll fill you in. The first true " comic book" appearance of boba fett is argued to be SW #42. There's the debate. I have made you aware! :D

So the argument is about whether or not the paperback should be considered a "comic book"? Do people also argue about the first appearance of Rocket Raccoon because it was in a magazine? How about the first appearance of Doctor Spektor since it came in a paperback (digest) as well?

Star Wars 42 is the 4th printing of those ESB pages. Three other printings of those pages came before that comic even came about, some of which could maybe be considered "comic books" despite their larger size. (Do people consider Marvel Treasuries "comic books"?) That would make Star Wars 42 a reprint technically. I don't know how anyone could argue Star Wars 42 being the the first appearance. But, since you brought it up, I guess there are some people out there who are debating it. :shrug: I'm guessing if those people were aware of the other printings (which all came first) this wouldn't be debated.

Are these debates occurring with the entire knowledge of what was published regarding ESB? Or are people just ignorantly calling Star Wars 42 the first appearance of Boba Fett because they are unaware of the existence of the other 3 published material?

I

OSo the argument is about whether or not the paperback should be considered a "comic book"? Do people also argue about the first appearance of Rocket Raccoon because it was in a magazine? How about the first appearance of Doctor Spektor since it came in a paperback (digest) as well?

Star Wars 42 is the 4th printing of those ESB pages. Three other printings of those pages came before that comic even came about, some of which could maybe be considered "comic books" despite their larger size. (Do people consider Marvel Treasuries "comic books"?) That would make Star Wars 42 a reprint technically. I don't know how anyone could argue Star Wars 42 being the the first appearance. But, since you brought it up, I guess there are some people out there who are debating it. :shrug: I'm guessing if those people were aware of the other printings (which all came first) this wouldn't be debated.

Are these debates occurring with the entire knowledge of what was published regarding ESB? (shrug) Or are people just ignorantly calling Star Wars 42 the first appearance of Boba Fett because they are unaware of the existence of the other 3 published material?

Yeah the argument is his first appearance in a normal comic book format. But I beleive they are aware of previous appearances in larger formats. I'm indifferent, but am aware of discussions on the topic.

Harley quinns first appearance is argued as well since it was in batman adventures and technically not the actual dcu.

I seriously doubt the last panel of Hulk 180 caused any hype whatsoever. Even reading the Hulk Letter columns a few months after 181 appeared, there was little interest in the new Wolverine character.

In fact, many people who bought GS X-Men #1 didn't even realize it was the same guy.

I seriously doubt the last panel of Hulk 180 caused any hype whatsoever. Hulk was not all that great a seller back then, and there was next to no fan press. Even reading the Hulk Letter columns a few months after 181 appeared, there was little interest in the new Wolverine character.

In fact, many people who bought GS X-Men #1 didn't even realize it was the same guy.

This came from a man whose name yall shall not get out of me, so dont ask! and that aint a joke.

back in the early 90's i started work at a LCS, not long after starting me and the owner went to his hometown to "get his books" when we got there, he rented the biggest U-Haul they make, we got to his store house, and he had millions of comics, and old ones, westerns, monsters, couple whiz comics 1's, action comics 1's, detective 27, books i had heard of but never ever seen.

anyway, we moved his books, he told me that day, how a few people made a lot of money in the world of comics.

im not going to name any names, but imagine putting out a price guide, and just a year or 2 after putting out the first one, all of a sudden folks are looking to you cause they wanna know how much to sell a Detective comic 50 for.

and imagine if that price guide "writer" isnt the most honest of all people. and that "writer" owns and buys alot of new books and when something like hulk 180/181 happens, and the first appearance of wolverine should be 180, but due to the fact that this "writer" has a whole lot more of 181 in better shape, somehow the first appearacne becomes the second appearance? HUH

if you cant figure out the inference here, then im sorry for you, but if you do get it, Everything i just now stated is heresay and not admissable in court.

and like i said, i was told this by a man who knew all this like it happened to him "personally"

last-panel-180.jpg

Now we all know Wolvie is awesome, but that's hindsight. Who would have though from this one panel what would come later....'The worlds first and greatest Canadian superhero'

CanadaFlagSunset.jpg

last-panel-180.jpg

Now we all know Wolvie is awesome, but that's hindsight. Who would have though from this one panel what would come later....'The worlds first and greatest Canadian superhero'

CanadaFlagSunset.jpg

Incorrect good sir. Wolverine was NOT the first Canadian super hero. From Wikipedia...

Nelvana of the Northern Lights is a Canadian comic book character and the first Canadian national superhero, debuting in Hillborough Studios' Triumph-Adventure Comics #1 (Aug. 1941). She is also one of the first female superheroes, debuting before Wonder Woman but after Fantomah, the Golden Age Black Widow, Invisible Scarlet O'Neil and others introduced in 1940. Nelvana of the Northern Lights is Canada’s first distinctly Canadian female superhero.

So, Wolvie is the MOST POPULAR Canadian Superhero, just not our first...Well, first MARVEL probably...

last-panel-180.jpg

CanadaFlagSunset.jpg

Wolverine in costume,looks like a 1st appearance to me. (shrug)

last-panel-180.jpg

CanadaFlagSunset.jpg

Incorrect good sir. Wolverine was NOT the first Canadian super hero. From Wikipedia...

Nelvana of the Northern Lights is a Canadian comic book character and the first Canadian national superhero, debuting in Hillborough Studios' Triumph-Adventure Comics #1 (Aug. 1941). She is also one of the first female superheroes, debuting before Wonder Woman but after Fantomah, the Golden Age Black Widow, Invisible Scarlet O'Neil and others introduced in 1940. Nelvana of the Northern Lights is Canada’s first distinctly Canadian female superhero.

So, Wolvie is the MOST POPULAR Canadian Superhero, just not our first...Well, first MARVEL probably...

lol I was quoting the cover of Hulk 181

I seriously doubt the last panel of Hulk 180 caused any hype whatsoever. Hulk was not all that great a seller back then, and there was next to no fan press. Even reading the Hulk Letter columns a few months after 181 appeared, there was little interest in the new Wolverine character.

It wasn't just the last panel. They advertised the hell out of wolverine. They used 180 to essentially announce he was the main event in 181. That's the reason there are so many 181s out there. They overprinted that one since they put some time into advertising the new character. Marvel wanted him to be the big anti-hero in the franchise. I can't find any links to prove this, but this is what I've been told. It seems to make sense since 181 is one of the easiest books in the bronze age to find.

That's called a cameo. It's only a first appearance if he's on the cover. :baiting:

If that's the case TTA 27 and Strange Tales 110 should be alot cheaper than they are. lol

That's called a cameo. It's only a first appearance if he's on the cover. :baiting:

If that's the case TTA 27 and Strange Tales 110 should be alot cheaper than they are. lol

hm time to go lowball people on eBay

last-panel-180.jpg

CanadaFlagSunset.jpg

lol I was quoting the cover of Hulk 181

Time to sue Marvel for false advertising then...

It wasn't just the last panel. They advertised the hell out of wolverine. They used 180 to essentially announce he was the main event in 181. That's the reason there are so many 181s out there. They overprinted that one since they put some time into advertising the new character. Marvel wanted him to be the big anti-hero in the franchise. I can't find any links to prove this, but this is what I've been told. It seems to make sense since 181 is one of the easiest books in the bronze age to find.

Marvel, Len Wein, John Romita, Herb Trimpe and even Flo Steinburg had no idea that Wolverine would be anything other than a villain for a couple of issues. I don't have any links to prove this either, but I would imagine that if they had that big of a game plan for him, they wouldn't have waited almost a year to make his next appearance.

And there would've been no way for that panel to have an effect on 181's print total because newsstand was still the largest part of sales for Marvel at the time and those decisions would've been made before the book was ever released.

Marvel, Len Wein, John Romita, Herb Trimpe and even Flo Steinburg had no idea that Wolverine would be anything other than a villain for a couple of issues. I don't have any links to prove this either, but I would imagine that if they had that big of a game plan for him, they wouldn't have waited almost a year to make his next appearance.

And there would've been no way for that panel to have an effect on 181's print total because newsstand was still the largest part of sales for Marvel at the time and those decisions would've been made before the book was ever released.

I agree, it makes absolutely no sense. If Marvel planned on making him this big character, why were Claremont and Cockrum so anxious to write him out of the X-MEN? If it wasn't for John Byrne insisting he stay in as the only Canadian ( Byrne being Canadian at the time ) he might have been just another character.