• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about the Sketch Cover Community

29 posts in this topic

I'm interested in your own choices, but also the community as a whole.

There are a lot of great artists who have never worked on a "real" comic, and by that I mean they've never worked for Marvel, DC or any comic book publisher. No doubt there are some great artists who haven't even made a name for themselves in the sketch comic world.

Obviously great art sells, but how much of a factor is the name of the artist? Will a big name with mediocre art (they can have a lazy day) sell quicker and at a higher price then a no-name with great art?

For me then name matters a lot but the odd time I will jump in with someone i don't know if I like what art is posted in the sketch op this though matters as well with how much free spare cash I have on me as well... If I don't have lot to go around I won't jump on with a "no name" if you will ... if just because I will want to save my cash for an op that pops up with someone who name matters more to me

For me then name matters a lot but the odd time I will jump in with someone i don't know if I like what art is posted in the sketch op

Why is that? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I just like to see where people are coming from.

I can see how it would be similar to wanting a signature from someone you know and like in the business, only much more significant.

For me it is 100% about the art. Like Adonis's opp now I really like those covers.

Everyone has certain 'names' that matter, though they might not be the same for every person.

I would venture to say the name affects price more than anything, but if there is a guy with great art he will sell his just fine at a lower price.

In the end its a time thing, guys who work at the big two have tight deadlines, real lives and everything else. So, if they want to cut out a chunk of time for sketch covers they charge more because they could make more money doing something else. For new guys they can do more work for less cause there not under constant deadlines from a publisher.

IMO it is a tradeoff. And the name doesn't dictate whether I will want the art, but it will decide the price I am willing to pay.

For me it's mostly about the art, although having a known name in the business would have a certain cool factor. I guess it's much the same as owning an original Bob Ross oil painting. ;)

I've just seen people post covers from well known artists and on occasion the art is meh... I don't doubt they're capable of much better, but it's like they just whipped something together real quick, signed their famous name and then sold it for a three digit price tag. It reminds me of something a great artist might doodle while they spend 30 minutes on the telephone.

I hope this doesn't come across like I'm hating on anyone. Art is an individual taste, though apparently Mr. Slay doesn't agree with the adage, beauty is the eye of the beholder.

I like this question.

I can only speak for my self, however I hope others agree with my point of view. My sketch cover collection is based on two separate criteria

1) artists that can produce detailed artwork on a small "canvas" for lack of a better work like i.e. sketch covers.

2) Artists who I respect based on there body of work in this industry. As a comic book reader and collector, I usually go with artists whose books I have read and appreciated over the years.

When it comes to the second criteria, Some of these artist are legends in this business some of them are not. but the deciding factor is if I like their artwork, or a comic series they did work in. If not, I am not interesting in a cover from them unless it is free, no matter how famous they are.

When I Purchase a sketch from an unpublished (non mainstream) artist I expect a more artwork to cash ratio then compared to a legend.

For example When I got a Headsketch from Neal Adams I would have been satisfied with a doodle because it was coming from a person who has given me 30 years of great artwork in books that I love. With that being said you can imagine how I felt when he handed me my Doom headsketch which took about 20 mins but in my eyes is differentily not a doodle. ( I was thru the Roof). but I would have still been happy with it, if it did look like a doodle, because it was coming from him.

I think each collector has their reasons has to why they do or do not purchase from a artist. I for one look forward to reading other different points of view or the same if you agree with me :)

either way post. this is a good question.

For me right now I go for the art, I have gotten quite a few lately by artist I have never heard of before, but their art just amazes me. Although I would have to agree on one term with C-raider1 about is getting a doodle sketch from someone like a Neal Adams or anybody else thats been in the business for a long time I would appreciate just as much as the art from a none known name right now. And who knows, all these sweet sketch covers that we get now from the person nobody knows becomes something from a superstar later which just adds to awesomeness of it all.

By the way C-raider1 I kneel before your Dr Doom sig line [hail] that is just badass!

Yeah! Similar to what C-raider1 said.

1. It's mostly about the art on the blanks and..

2. Legends or people I like / respect in the industry.

I mean I'd mostly take in good looking artworks only but I will make exceptions from legends or people I like. I mean I'd take a Thanos doodle from Jim Starlin, a smiley spidey from Stan, and so on.

For me then name matters a lot but the odd time I will jump in with someone i don't know if I like what art is posted in the sketch op

Why is that? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I just like to see where people are coming from.

I can see how it would be similar to wanting a signature from someone you know and like in the business, only much more significant.

Because I'd rather have something from someone who I already follow if you will or am already a fan of :) Someone I have already invested my cash in if you will buying said books & art

Its the same reason I don't jump on every SS op that comes up sometimes I simply don't know the name & don't own anything they have done...

You have to remember though that everybody got their start somewhere. Who's to say that one of the no names you get a sketch from here on these very boards doesn't become the next Neal Adams or Todd McFarlane?

I get most of mine based on price, then the art, then the name. That might sound strange but it is ultimately true. I don't have my sights set on something from either of those two mentioned above because I know that somebody just getting started will cost a lot less and more than likely spend a lot more time on the art giving me better detail and what I did get would be pricy. Right now I have a total of 11 (I think) sketch covers. 7 of them are off at CGC right now. Of those I did get one because of the name, one because I talk back and forth on fb with the artist frequently, three because I got a great deal, one I liked his stuff I saw on Deviantart and had never heard of him prior to that, and the last one I picked up as a favor to another boardie. I basically got 6 of the 7 for a combined total less than what Neal was charging at the last show I went to and I can't wait to get them back.

I think there is a great blend of both ends of the spectrum that is evidenced on the Boards. I am a big fan of both. I love when people on on here take a chance on a non-big name artist. Then that person will just blow up. Stuart Saygar is a perfect example. Even though he was working on a comic with a larger print run than almost anything else in the market at the time (Bionicles) hardly anyone knew who he was. HIs work has made him a sketch cover legend.

But I also love my Neal Adams, John Cassaday, Doug Mahnke and Jae lee sketches. You can't always spend 300-500 bucks on a sketch cover. Here are some examples of mine where I am less than $100 all in grading shipping and everything.

IMG00254-20110119-2224.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMzAtMjAwOTA4MTMtMjE1N.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjYtMjAwOTA4MTMtMjE0M.jpg

Front:

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjctMjAwOTA4MTMtMjE0M.jpg

Back

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjgtMjAwOTA4MTMtMjE0M.jpg

IMG00011-20100822-2357.jpg

Just chiming in here....

guys we as a community have power over setting the trends and making an artist more popular.

Look at Danny Cruz; he drew video game/fantasy stuff before sketch covers. Since the sketch covers that the community made him popular for, he's gotten offers from Zenescope, IDW, and other publishers. The consumer has the power to set the market imo

Same thing with Dexter...since dealing with you guys and having a sketch opp, this has drew him international attention. I'm getting orders for commission requests from him in my email constantly. This is because the sketch opp put his name out there and boosted him up somewhat 2c

I can't speak on published artists, but sketch opps for no-names should be a no-brainer. If I was an artist my first priority is to do as many art jobs as I can to get recognized. Sketch covers are doing this for many artists, so we as a community have more power than we give ourselves credit for (thumbs u

Just chiming in here....

guys we as a community have power over setting the trends and making an artist more popular.

Look at Danny Cruz; he drew video game/fantasy stuff before sketch covers. Since the sketch covers that the community made him popular for, he's gotten offers from Zenescope, IDW, and other publishers. The consumer has the power to set the market imo

Same thing with Dexter...since dealing with you guys and having a sketch opp, this has drew him international attention. I'm getting orders for commission requests from him in my email constantly. This is because the sketch opp put his name out there and boosted him up somewhat 2c

I can't speak on published artists, but sketch opps for no-names should be a no-brainer. If I was an artist my first priority is to do as many art jobs as I can to get recognized. Sketch covers are doing this for many artists, so we as a community have more power than we give ourselves credit for (thumbs u

Fantastic post. Here is one of my D. Cruz sketches courtesy of Danny and MJ. It is not hard to see why he is in demand.

IMG00250-20110119-2222.jpg

Just chiming in here....

Fantastic post. Here is one of my D. Cruz sketches courtesy of Danny and MJ. It is not hard to see why he is in demand.

IMG00250-20110119-2222.jpg

I still love that book Sean! No doubt one of my favorites that he did! :cloud9:

The art is what will get me in the door. There are some artists that just don't do it for me and that's fine. I think what will keep me there and coming back is the person's attitude. I think that might be why I like a lot of the smaller artists.

I'm drawn to a lot of the fun quirky artists. Right now Sara Richard is on the top of my list. Secret Son had the first sketch cover of hers that I saw and I was hooked. Now I've got four sketch covers of hers including the one that started it off for me. And she is very cool to talk to and work with. That easy to approach attitude is what will keep me coming back and getting more art.