• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Art Collector Needs Advice Re: Restoration/Conservation

14 posts in this topic

Hi folks --

I posted the note below on comicart-l last week and got replies from three folks (and very kind thanks to those three guys!) However I was sort of hoping for some online 'converation' to start as this really is new for me.

I read both boards, but the other one has really morphed into a 'check out my ebay auction' and movie comments -- not that this is a bad thing, just an observation.

Thart said, I could sure use some feedback from this board if anyone has some stories to share

SDCC saw me realize a life-long dream of acquiring a Silver Age Twice Up cover

that I have been looking for, for over 20 years!

I will have it in my hands shortly and long story short, the art needs some

help. I only want the BEST for this gem. There are some glue stains and stat

issues that need to be addressed along with some other assorted small age

related (no artist related -- those stay!) issues.

Frankly, I need advise on WHO to use and WHAT to expect cost and time wise --

Guys I have never had a piece like this one and I look for the guidance of those

who walked this path before me.

Please email me at Mess3499 'at' yahoo.com

many, and sincere thx

LJ

Hi Guys -- thanks for all the feedback both in thge list here and via the private messages

You guys are a helpful bunch and honestly, it is exactly the feedback I was hoping for.

I will share what the cover is once the deal is finalized (I have a few more time payments left) but it is a VERY old Avengers cover :)

thanks!

Hi Guys -- thanks for all the feedback both in thge list here and via the private messages

You guys are a helpful bunch and honestly, it is exactly the feedback I was hoping for.

I will share what the cover is once the deal is finalized (I have a few more time payments left) but it is a VERY old Avengers cover :)

thanks!

Kirby . . . Heck . . . John Buscema . . . hm

I was searching for info on OA restoration / conservation and found this thread. A few questions:

• Does anyone have the contact info for Gordon Christman, or could anyone recommend a restorer on the east coast (or in Canada)?

• Messier3499: did you ever get your cover restored and did you post the before/after pics? Which Avengers issue was it?

Thx!

Andrew

Just for the record since I know Andrew has this information.

In the many threads on paper conservation, the names that recur the most were:

Gordon doesn't seem to have a web presence, but his snail mail address and phone number are:

GORDON G. CHRISTMAN

RESTORATION & CONSERVATION

330 SOUTH HORNE STREET #L

OCEANSIDE CA 92054

TEL: 760 439 7970

CEL: 760 458 2290

I also had one recommendation for:

I would add that most major museums know of paper conservators. You might want to contact someone at a local museum and see if there is a conservator close to you.