• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Believe it or not, the Comiclink August focused auction has begun!

233 posts in this topic

well, I accidentally won a book tonight...

this afternoon, we were so busy in the store that I didn't get a chance to even get to my computer, so I had to bid via my phone...

I got the email that I was outbid, so I logged on, and bid what I thought was 1,777 for a book... was high bidder, went to dinner, got home to check on the auction to see that it had closed at over 2K, and I figured I had lost...

checked my email and low and behold I got a winning notice email on the book! :o I was like must be a mistake...

logged onto clink to find out that I entered via my phone, 17,777...

thank God no one else made a similar mistake on their bid lol

Yikes! That was a close one. :eek:

That could have gone very poor for you Rick :baiting:

Eyesight is going :preach:

had my glasses on, but dern iphones are sensitive!
Technology can be rough on seniors..
:sumo:

well, I accidentally won a book tonight...

this afternoon, we were so busy in the store that I didn't get a chance to even get to my computer, so I had to bid via my phone...

I got the email that I was outbid, so I logged on, and bid what I thought was 1,777 for a book... was high bidder, went to dinner, got home to check on the auction to see that it had closed at over 2K, and I figured I had lost...

checked my email and low and behold I got a winning notice email on the book! :o I was like must be a mistake...

logged onto clink to find out that I entered via my phone, 17,777...

thank God no one else made a similar mistake on their bid lol

Yikes! That was a close one. :eek:

obviously someone valued the book at 40% more than me, but really no concern as NO ONE would bid even close to my accidental bid on purpose...that said, yikes is appropriate

Picked my first significant Duck in awhile. Prices have definitely dropped.

e47d6e3a.jpg

What's the terror in the river? I must know. :popcorn:

Wow, you got a great buy at less than half guide. Demand for GA duck books has not been very high lately.

You are joking about "What's the terror in the river?" ..Sea serpent with a typical Barks twist. I'm a newbie, so I sometimes can't tell if you guys are joking.

Congratulations, Transplant. It's great that prices have been dropping. It was a nightmare 5 years or so ago when many high grade Disney books suddenly shot through the roof. I find it even more enjoyable to get a great deal today after surviving that bubble.

Btw., that's one book I'd be tempted to crack out of the slab myself. I never liked the cover particularly, but the interior is incredible. The second story, "The Firebug", is just surreal.

my pre hero New Adventure Comics are ending soon guys.

grab em while you can!

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/search.asp?FocusedOnly=1&where=auctions&title=new+adventure+comics&x=0&y=0&ItemType=CB

:whistle:

Unfortunately, it looks like the pre-hero DC books are following the same downward path as the early strip reprint books. :cry:

This is really unfortunate as these early rare books are an important part of comic book history and paved the way for the super-hero books that were to come. These books are definitely under-appreciated in today's super-hero focused market. :(

Great books. I was surprised as well about the downward path. It seems like if the characters didn`t have some other kinda of mainstream exposure then the juice just isn`t there. A real shame as these have a lot of importance and history to them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "downward path". The only books that came in below guide were the ones with unattractive covers, and even those got close to guide. The ones with the better covers, on the other hand, got multiples of guide (e.g., NA 27 and Adv 31). And most of the best covers (e.g., # 26, 28, 29, 32, 36 and 37) were not in the auction.

I have to agree with RHG on this one. I wish they were on a "downward" path so I could pick some up cheap. As it stands I pay way over guide for most of my pre hero stuff (especially anything with a Flessel/classic cover)

I was going after the Whiz #4(3), but without knowing the extent of the glue, I don't think I can bid any higher.
doh! I was there til close to the end. I didn't much care about the glue. I priced it as a great looking copy with a detached centerfold. 60% of Guide is strong for a PLOD, but I can see why it went this high. Somebody MANNEDUP on a PLOD?

Wow, you got a great buy at less than half guide. Demand for GA duck books has not been very high lately.

You are joking about "What's the terror in the river?" ..Sea serpent with a typical Barks twist. I'm a newbie, so I sometimes can't tell if you guys are joking.

Congratulations, Transplant. It's great that prices have been dropping. It was a nightmare 5 years or so ago when many high grade Disney books suddenly shot through the roof. I find it even more enjoyable to get a great deal today after surviving that bubble.

Btw., that's one book I'd be tempted to crack out of the slab myself. I never liked the cover particularly, but the interior is incredible. The second story, "The Firebug", is just surreal.

I'm very happy with the price I paid. Especially since a sold an 8.5 for more than double and been looking for a good replacement since then.

tb, I'm pretty sure this is headed for a Mylar. I like the cover, but you're right that the interior art is classic.

I was going after the Whiz #4(3), but without knowing the extent of the glue, I don't think I can bid any higher.
doh! I was there til close to the end. I didn't much care about the glue. I priced it as a great looking copy with a detached centerfold. 60% of Guide is strong for a PLOD, but I can see why it went this high. Somebody MANNEDUP on a PLOD?

They're gambling that they'll be able to have the glue removed and get a blue label out of it. I called CGC, but their notes on the book didn't specify the extent of the glue. They did call it amateur, though, so I'm guessing the glue is more than a few drops.

They're gambling that they'll be able to have the glue removed and get a blue label out of it. I called CGC, but their notes on the book didn't specify the extent of the glue. They did call it amateur, though, so I'm guessing the glue is more than a few drops.

Maybe somebody realized the book was good enough that people would pay several times that much for the exact same book -- or, that people would pay several times as much for book with MORE damage -- if only it had a blue label instead of a purple one, and then he MANNEDUP by deciding to buy a book instead of a label color.