• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Geppi - Bob Montana

21 posts in this topic

It's hard to post comments on this here since the link is back to the post in Comics General - and that had a link to the source article.

But anyway...

On the Original Art forum, most of the posts complain that Weist's just released price guide (there is an active thread just on the art price guide) has most prices MUCH TO LOW. But the "root" problem in this deal gone bad is that Weist substantially over valued the collection in question.

I only purchase Origiinal Art via auctions. Many, many people in the hobby - dealers or collectors - seems to overvalue their stuff. At least that's my observation thus far. Obviously buying Bob Montana Archie originals was a lot cheaper at auction than in bulk from the family

The article linked to was a fascinating read - thanks for bringing this to the Original art thread rather than comics general. .

On the Original Art forum, most of the posts complain that Weist's just released price guide (there is an active thread just on the art price guide) has most prices MUCH TO LOW. But the "root" problem in this deal gone bad is that Weist substantially over valued the collection in question.

That may have been the problem. I believe this also contributed to the problem:

1 - Strip art used to be considered much "better" than comic art. Strip art values were much higher and came down quite a bit.

2 - Bob Montana Archie stuff was at a premium because it was scarce. If you asked everyone wanted a Bob Montana example because of the perceived rarity

3 - Heritage is pretty high profile but they are relatively new to the comic art market. There are still plenty of "old timers" that aren't internet savvy and don't go out of their way to look these things up. I think a decent number of collectors that would be interested in Montana art were missed.

4 - I think the market (number of buyers available) for Montana Archie art was way overestimated by both Geppi and Weiss. Probably because THEY liked it and THEY knew the importance of it. They assumed other collectors that spent "big money" were as educated or had the same taste they did. For the most part, especially when dealing with volume, if it don't have Superheroes, it don't sell as well.

I think Jerry may have had some prices in mind that were a little higher than what was current at the time because they WERE higher before. Add to that the fact that once scarce art was being dumped into the market and made easily available and you have the basis for items going cheaper than expected. Add the other two factors and it was almost inevitable.

20/20 hindsight is pretty cool isn't it?

I dont know the whole story, only part, will try to get more info, but it is not a good one, bought AR and did not pay in full or something like that, dont know how it settled out if it ever did, will let you know more as I find out about it but 4.6 million dollar purchase and H Hamilton sued geppi in Fed court after he stopped making payments according to april 10,2010 suit filed in Ariz. She says geppi owes her more than 3 million after not making payment for 2 years, found the lawsuit goggle helen hamilton trust vs steve geppi and look to pdf file that says kenneth...what a story over 3 million...movie posters, comic books, bruces collection....sued steve geppi and diamond..poor widow and bruce is gone and so is 6400 Carl barks autographs.

google.com has a search feature that works wonders for questions like this. I'd highly recommend it.

Another day, another lawsuit for Steve Geppi

Famed comics collector Steve Geppi seems to have moved up to collecting multi-million dollar lawsuits. News broke today of another pending suit with the widow of Bruce Hamilton filing a $3 million complaint in Prescott Arizona against Geppi and his defunct Diamond International Galleries.

Helen Ann Hamilton is claiming in Federal court that Diamond International Galleries bought the “Bruce Hamilton Collection” for $4.6 million in 2006, then stopped making payments on the debt a in 2008.

Courthouse News is reporting:

Bruce Hamilton produced a series of limited edition Carl Barks items in the 1980s and 1990s, including bone china figurines based on Barks’ designs. The collection includes nearly 6,700 “Carl Barks signatures,” along with vintage comics, books, movie posters and original art, according to court documents.

Steve Calrow, who helped broker the sale, said Barks has a worldwide following as the “No. 1 Donald Duck story writer and artist” and the creator of Scrooge McDuck.

Hamilton had a licensing agreement with Disney to create limited edition lithographs, figurines, books and other items, Calrow said.

The Helen Hamilton Revocable Trust is represented by Kenneth Peace of Braun Siler in Scottsdale.