• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2012, July 12-15, San Diego, CA

509 posts in this topic

Since there were rumors of SDCC moving to either LA or Vegas, maybe check out the SDCC sister show, Wonder Con in Anaheim coming up this month instead, since that's more of a comic book convention, as opposed to a multi-media entertainment and pop culture event known as Comic Con which is becoming less about comics.

If you like comic books and comic book art, there's also a show coming up in Las Vegas that's getting a lot of attention on Sept 29-30, 2012, The Las Vegas Comic Expo:

http://lasvegascomicexpo.com/

It's much easier and cheaper to get hotels in Las Vegas, and quite frankly, there's more social things to do there as well as finer dining too.

This way of registering does make me wonder if it hurts the high dollar dealers. How many people that can drop huge dollars on comics and art were sitting on their computer in "line" early this morning? It felt more like a fanboy thing to do then something that people with a large cash flow would do. If that's the case then they're not getting in and dealers for those items suffer. Seems like this could end up hurting SDCC in the future.

It hurts vintage comic book dealers because they are outnumbered by other exhibitors and fans. The numbers of dealers are diminishing at SD because they complain that they don't do the same numbers that they used to do in previous years. If you have 10,000's of rabid media fans all looking for tickets it makes passes that much more difficult to get for vintage comics buyers.

The organizers can only squeeze so much into a room (exhibitors and fans) and if it's a toss up between a major Hollywood studio and a few comic dealers, I'm betting they will gravitate towards the major Hollywood studio (or whatever other media giant is looking to find their way in).

It is ironic, because this con started out as a vintage comic book convention but that is the way it is. Reality evolves towards whatever has the strongest attraction.

I was wondering about this too. If the bigger spenders don't get tickets, how long will it take for the negative ripple effect to be noticed amongst the comic book dealers? I guess it has already started and will possibly accelerate.

You know, there are a couple of items in Hake's auction that I like and a few other movie posters that in Heritage's auction that I can blow my money on. Maybe I have to shift my tastes just a bit.

This way of registering does make me wonder if it hurts the high dollar dealers. How many people that can drop huge dollars on comics and art were sitting on their computer in "line" early this morning? It felt more like a fanboy thing to do then something that people with a large cash flow would do. If that's the case then they're not getting in and dealers for those items suffer. Seems like this could end up hurting SDCC in the future.

People should present their receipts from the previous year and whomever spent the most should get dibs of next year's tickets.

Wasn't quite what I meant since I myself was one of those "fanboys" this morning and definitely don't fall into the category of big spenders. I meant it more as an observation that they're sacrificing an important and possibly influential segment of their fan base. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that they have choice since they don't have room to grow the con any further and something has to fall by the way side. Just sad to see that it seems to be the comic side of the comic convention.

You're going to get screwed, Brad. :baiting:

Yeah... I'm getting that feeling and it isn't comfortable.

I'll be there enjoying the con. :luhv:

Has anyone else still not received their ticket confirmation? I got through the sales process at 8:05 pst, but still haven't gotten an email about it.

I got mine. Don't worry. You'll get yours. They asking for a waiting span of 72 hours. I'd be more worried if I dont get my bar codes instead.

I got mine. Don't worry. You'll get yours. They asking for a waiting span of 72 hours. I'd be more worried if I dont get my bar codes instead.

My confirmations just game in... now I can truly look forward to the trip!

I got my tickets in 20 minutes, thought it was very easy. For those "high end" spenders, I don't think it would be too much trouble to log on a computer at 8am (11am for east coast people), assuming you wanted to go to Comic-con.

They should really consider doing a segmented ticketing scheme that addresses the various attendees. Since there is such demand and a limit to how many folks can fit in the hall they really need to think out of the box to stay in San Diego. Why not segregate the comic book folks from the media over at the Marriot and sell seperate tickets for that show? That might keep the folks who can't get in to the major part of the show happy. I spend most of my time in that area anyway; although my kids enjoy going to the larger exhibits. I know it is a compromise but no one seems happy this way.

Otherwise, take this puppy to Vegas call it a day and bring on the crowds. That should kill it in its current guise and then it can land back in San Diego as a smaller show again!

Dealers remember who they give passes to and whether they buy anything or not.

So do dealer's helpers.

:baiting: