• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2012, July 12-15, San Diego, CA

509 posts in this topic

I started at 9 am with the e-mail link. Would not work. I tried to refresh a couple of times, Nothing. Went to the Comic Con site and had no trouble. Was hoping to get a Thursday - Friday ticket. I did get Thursday. :whee:

I went to my workolace to use multiple computers, to try and get as many spots in line as possible. Only one of the desktops worked (thankfully), and I got my tickets. The other computers may have been missing an updated JavaScript (?), maybe someone else can confirm ? My buddy had the same problem. There's actually a warning on the web page that mentions Java and cookies need to be properly configured for the website to function.

Couldn't get in with my link.

For the one that worked, I went though the e-mail link right at 11AM EST and got in, started refreshing at 10:58 .. and was done in 25 minutes.

Next year, they should have a module on the ticket site which allows you to test your computer beforehand to make sure it meets all of the requirements and compatibility issues, instead of having to find out when the line opens !!

THEY SUCK!!!! did the link they emailed and it didn't work. By chance went to the homepage and the way to get tix was a diff. link than what SDCC emailed. At 8:10am, got in que at 22k.

Only could get THURS and SUN TIX. When they gave updates. TX are low. Minutes later the update was they are sold out.

They also emailed a new ID# to me last night without telling me and my old ID didn't work trying to get Tix. By chance I looked at emails and they send a late email last night with new ID for me. THEY SUCK.

poor way they did it.

Now I need to get FRI and SAT fix. 4 TIX actually. If you have them I will buy them.

Nick

It is interesting, especially if you go to the con page on Facebook. Some people are congratulating SDCC for how well they managed this ticketing process (those that were able to buy their tix) and others were just person_without_enough_empathying about it because of the bad link or crashing or no notice or whatever. Always interesting to see how opinions play out based on each's personal experience.

I have my ticket, but I person_without_enough_empathyed too. Had to wait over four hours outside in line in the middle of the night at last year's con. Looking back, I'm glad I waited, but at the time it was horrible, then being tired all the next day.

But I do understand the problem. Hard to come up with the best solution for everyone. There are so many people that want to go and there just are not enough tickets.

Oh man. I got shut out. I feel like a doofus by following the instructions in the e-mail to the letter. I didn't even think of going to the website or refreshing my browser.

I have been going to SDCC every year since 1985. I guess I will start a streak of NOT going. Plane tickets to Chicago are $ 380 round trip for Wizard World Chicago (in August). I think the hotels are cheaper than San Diego too...

This way of registering does make me wonder if it hurts the high dollar dealers. How many people that can drop huge dollars on comics and art were sitting on their computer in "line" early this morning? It felt more like a fanboy thing to do then something that people with a large cash flow would do. If that's the case then they're not getting in and dealers for those items suffer. Seems like this could end up hurting SDCC in the future.

This way of registering does make me wonder if it hurts the high dollar dealers. How many people that can drop huge dollars on comics and art were sitting on their computer in "line" early this morning? It felt more like a fanboy thing to do then something that people with a large cash flow would do. If that's the case then they're not getting in and dealers for those items suffer. Seems like this could end up hurting SDCC in the future.

People should present their receipts from the previous year and whomever spent the most should get dibs of next year's tickets.

Got a 4-Day With Preview Night in less than 5 minutes.

This is the easiest SDCC badge purchase since they started the whole EPIC/Leap Frog system

That is awesome. Wish I had those. I had the opposite experience. THEY SUCK!!!

It hurts vintage comic book dealers because they are outnumbered by other exhibitors and fans. The numbers of dealers are diminishing at SD because they complain that they don't do the same numbers that they used to do in previous years. If you have 10,000's of rabid media fans all looking for tickets it makes passes that much more difficult to get for vintage comics buyers.

The organizers can only squeeze so much into a room (exhibitors and fans) and if it's a toss up between a major Hollywood studio and a few comic dealers, I'm betting they will gravitate towards the major Hollywood studio (or whatever other media giant is looking to find their way in).

It is ironic, because this con started out as a vintage comic book convention but that is the way it is. Reality evolves towards whatever has the strongest attraction.