• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2012, July 12-15, San Diego, CA

509 posts in this topic

I just read the helpful hints newsletter sent out by the con. Wow, that was a long read just explaining the ticketing process. It can be read on a PDF that can be downloaded on the Comic-con.org site.

Last year my friend and I stood in line to buy tix for next year (this year) starting at 4:00 am and were done with the process at 8:30 am. What a pain, but we do have our full memberships with preview night. For anyone that does not have tix, you can consider yourself in a lottery. There is no doubt that this entire show will sell out the first day, including individual days. Stay on top of it people! Online sales should start in a week or so and you will need to be registered with your membership ID in advance, just to buy the online tix. At that point, assuming you get online at THE VERY MOMENT that tix are available for purchase, you will still not be guaranteed a ticket, and certainly not the kind of ticket you want (full or specific days).

This upcoming show will be my 20th in a row, and if I want to make a 21st, we will go through the pain of standing in line in tjhe middle of the night again like last year. Or I may just bag it and hit WonderCon instead.

What a circus.

I just read the helpful hints newsletter sent out by the con. Wow, that was a long read just explaining the ticketing process. It can be read on a PDF that can be downloaded on the Comic-con.org site.

Last year my friend and I stood in line to buy tix for next year (this year) starting at 4:00 am and were done with the process at 8:30 am. What a pain, but we do have our full memberships with preview night. For anyone that does not have tix, you can consider yourself in a lottery. There is no doubt that this entire show will sell out the first day, including individual days. Stay on top of it people! Online sales should start in a week or so and you will need to be registered with your membership ID in advance, just to buy the online tix. At that point, assuming you get online at THE VERY MOMENT that tix are available for purchase, you will still not be guaranteed a ticket, and certainly not the kind of ticket you want (full or specific days).

This upcoming show will be my 20th in a row, and if I want to make a 21st, we will go through the pain of standing in line in tjhe middle of the night again like last year. Or I may just bag it and hit WonderCon instead.

What a circus.

I am hoping they leverage the member Id system to allow ticket holders to re-up at the show without standing in line. After all, with member Id they know exactly who is at the show. Should be easy for them to open the system for current attendees during the show.

This upcoming show will be my 20th in a row, and if I want to make a 21st, we will go through the pain of standing in line in tjhe middle of the night again like last year.

What a circus.

I don't think you're going to have that option this year.

What a circus.

I just read the newsletter also and need come guidance and clarification .. my first shot at trying to go to SDCC!

If I only want to go Friday and Saturday, does this count as a one badge or two - do I have to purchase them separately once I am in line ? Furthermore, if I'm purchasing for a different member ID, this will count towards the six (6) maximum allowable ?

Thanks for the help.

What a circus.

I just read the newsletter also and need come guidance and clarification .. my first shot at trying to go to SDCC!

If I only want to go Friday and Saturday, does this count as a one badge or two - do I have to purchase them separately once I am in line ? Furthermore, if I'm purchasing for a different member ID, this will count towards the six (6) maximum allowable ?

Thanks for the help.

When I did reg at the show last year, you could pick individual days or 4 day passes and it counted as 1 member ID. When they use the 6 they mean for 6 distinct member id's.

They are trying to structure it this year so there is no incentive if you plan on going for just 2 days to instead buy a 4 day pass 'just in case' or because it's easier. This is an attempt to get 4 day passes to the folks who really plan to be there 4 days.

What a circus.

Thanks for the help.

You should buy day passes for FRI and SAT at $40 each. The four-day pass would cost you twice as much at $175(with preview night) or $150(without preview night).

This upcoming show will be my 20th in a row, and if I want to make a 21st, we will go through the pain of standing in line in tjhe middle of the night again like last year.

What a circus.

I don't think you're going to have that option this year.

Good, because I don't want to have to go through THAT again. Waking up in the middle of the night, trying to catch a few winks on the cement while waiting hours just to get in to buy tix. Sheesh! Then being tired all that next day. I have no idea how they will do it this upcoming show for the 2013 SDCC, but I just hope I don't need to get out of my comfy hotel bed in the middle of the night or wait for hours again.

I tell ya', I love this con and I look forward to it every year, but when adding up all the hassles just to make it happen against the awesomeness of the whole show, well.... the hassles are starting to even themselves out when they used to be no big deal!

Anyone hear anything about hotels this year?

In the past, the con-sponsored hotels were usually listed around February for booking. Now all I see is the "early bird sale" for hotels a distance away. Just wondering about the regular nearby hotels that we can book through the Con website. No announcement yet as to when they become available.

Anyone hear anything about hotels this year?

In the past, the con-sponsored hotels were usually listed around February for booking. Now all I see is the "early bird sale" for hotels a distance away. Just wondering about the regular nearby hotels that we can book through the Con website. No announcement yet as to when they become available.

March 29th is the sale date for con hotels through travel planners. Assuming they can make ticket sales happen orderly and on time I suppose.

Thanks for the heads up. Those jack asses...so much for my pre-registration email link. I must be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not expecting them to screw it up.

Logged on right at 8 pacific. I started #3941 in line. The window refreshed every 2 minutes, each time I moved up 400-600 in line. Got to the buy window in about 15 minutes, they still had 4 day + preview night, so bought that. I think San Diego did an outstanding job, this was painless.