• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA bidders, help please

36 posts in this topic

Hey guys, was wondering if some of you Heritage vets could help me out here.

I bid on a book that i thought ended tonight. Apparently though, the internet bidding ends tonight and there is live bidding tomorrow?

How exactly does this work? My bid is winning right now but i wont be bidding live or by phone. I cant even figure out what time my lot actually goes up for live bidding tomorrow. All i can find is that its in session 1 tomorrow which says that it starts at 1pm central time but doesnt say an end time or what time my actual lot goes off.

Can someone help me out and explain this to me please?

I probably should have done this BEFORE bidding huh? doh!

Live bidding starts tomorrow to phone, live (at Heritage) and mail bidders.

You can still be outbid.

Either throw in your max internet bid before internet bidding expires and just ride it out (win or lose), or log into your Heritage account and watch bidding live to make sure you don't get outbid tomorrow.

This is standard bidding procedure with Heritage on their larger auctions.

Hey guys, was wondering if some of you Heritage vets could help me out here.

I bid on a book that i thought ended tonight. Apparently though, the internet bidding ends tonight and there is live bidding tomorrow?

How exactly does this work? My bid is winning right now but i wont be bidding live or by phone. I cant even figure out what time my lot actually goes up for live bidding tomorrow. All i can find is that its in session 1 tomorrow which says that it starts at 1pm central time but doesnt say an end time or what time my actual lot goes off.

Can someone help me out and explain this to me please?

I probably should have done this BEFORE bidding huh? doh!

I have bought many comics from Heritage throughout the years.

Your bid is called a "internet" bid and will compete with those other bids if any on the lot tomorrow in the live auction. If no one else bids you win. If someone else bids but it doesn't exceed your max proxy you win. If someone else bids above your max proxy then they win.

I always bid in the live auctions and never put in a max proxy beforehand.

It isn't like an eBay auction where there is a set end time and high bidder at that moment wins. They take live bids on lots as long as there is active bidding. Therefore, there is no way to know in advance when each item will come up for sale. You can tune in online at heritage's website and continue bidding during the live auction in that manner the same as if you were present or on the phone.

Cool, thanks guys but what is this about calling me? The email says they will "try" to call me 5 minutes before the bidding starts. Is that just to see if i want to raise my max bid or can i actually stay on the phone and see how the bidding goes and possibly raise my bid?

Also, once the bidding starts on my lot, how long does it last for? If noone wants to outbid me, is it just literally like 1 minute and then i win?

btw, NO ONE bid on my damn lot tomorrow PLEASE!!! :baiting:

lol

lol

good luck with that.

Hey, a man can dream can't he?!? :cloud9:

Based on the price now(+BP), I'd say there is a decnt chance bidding is done on my lot although that's probably being VERY naive. Like I said, I can dream at least! :wishluck:

Cool, thanks guys but what is this about calling me? The email says they will "try" to call me 5 minutes before the bidding starts. Is that just to see if i want to raise my max bid or can i actually stay on the phone and see how the bidding goes and possibly raise my bid?

Also, once the bidding starts on my lot, how long does it last for? If noone wants to outbid me, is it just literally like 1 minute and then i win?

lol

If you bid by phone then it's just as if you are there on the floor. Your Heritage employee is raising a bidder card on your behalf during the auctioning of your lot -- when you instruct them to bid. If you hesitate then the lot will go to someone else and the HA employee will say "Goodbye" to call the next person.

lol

good luck with that.

exactly, i'm alive on 3 and expect to win ZERO

Yeah, I'm with you!

I won't be upset if I don't win though. It's a book I REALLY want(those who know me can probably figure out which book pretty easily!) but I went a little overboard with my bid in my excitement last night. If I get outbid, I won't be too upset.

Probably actually more relieved than upset! lol

lol

If you bid by phone then it's just as if you are there on the floor. Your Heritage employee is raising a bidder card on your behalf during the auctioning of your lot -- when you instruct them to bid. If you hesitate then the lot will go to someone else and the HA employee will say "Goodbye" to call the next person.

Cool, thanks!

So if noone or just a few people bid, it will be over REAL fast then?

lol

Cool, thanks!

It's over pretty fast even with other bidders bidding.

It moves at a decent clip.

If you watch it live tomorrow, you'll get a feel for how it works.

When you are bidding on the phone, you have to turn your computer off and listen to the phone assistant as there is a lag between video and phone and it can throw you off.

Its pretty simple, they give you the option to raise or hold and you tell them what to do.

Just be prepared with a final high bid prepared before hand (with and without BP), as the math is tough to do on the fly and if you get too excited you could end up winning the book when you actually didn't want to (ie. bid too much).

lol

lol

Cool, thanks!

It's over pretty fast even with other bidders bidding.

It moves at a decent clip.

If you watch it live tomorrow, you'll get a feel for how it works.

When you are bidding on the phone, you have to turn your computer off and listen to the phone assistant as there is a lag between video and phone and it can throw you off.

Its pretty simple, they give you the option to raise or hold and you tell them what to do.

Just be prepared with a final high bid prepared before hand (with and without BP), as the math is tough to do on the fly and if you get too excited you could end up winning the book when you actually didn't want to (ie. bid too much).

lol

One thing to add on your question about when the book will be up for auction - the lot number of the books you're bidding on should be a good estimate of that. One of their customer service people told me one time that they average 80-100 lots per hour. Someone with some more HA experience could probably validate that, or you could take Roy's advice and log in to see how the flow goes. That will give you a good idea on when to be ready for their call.

Or you could just sit in front of the computer and watch the entire auction like most of us comic nerds do.

:takeit:

They usually call you a few lots well before bidding starts to make sure you have time to prepare.

The live bidding really sux if you have any internet lag during that time. I was bidding on a book a couple of months ago and as bidding got heavy, so did the lag. I even timed out towards the end and when I was finally able to log back in, the auction closed. They were really pushing all the auctions out the door as soon as possible and were shutting them down if they didn't see another bid within seconds.

If you are getting a lot of lag or disruption in your on-line program, hit F5 to refresh. It takes 20 seconds or so but fixes most problems.

the 80-100 lots an hours is very rough. With a lot of HG ASM and Twin Cities copies in this auction, you can expect it to be slower.

If an item receives no live bids, it's over and done with in about 15 seconds. A really active item may take a couple of minutes.

You snooze, you lose. You can't hesitate hitting the big red button.

Sometimes you get late bids due to internet lag and they will re-open an auction. I lost a book once that I thought I had won because I was busy celebrating and missed the reopening.

Phone bidding is cool and they will sometimes delay the auction for a minute getting a phone bidder on the call. That may only be for their Legacy clients, though.