• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard First Program - Not April's Fools

696 posts in this topic

Borock, I hope you have a plan for this.

How can you take this on when submissions are falling behind a little more every day?

Why take on something additional like this when you can't keep up with the volume you have?

Maybe Wizard made a typo, and they are sending them to CGG ?

confused-smiley-013.gif

In an ironic sorta way, they deserve each other. insane.gif

The grading scale for these books is a little odd. But I guess they can get through them faster at just 10, 9.5, 9.0 and so on. Don't have to examine each as thoroughly I imagine with much wider grading at the high end. ------Sid

Want to bet that even before familiar eBay sellers like smortensen or highgrade60s gets their books back, Wizard will have theirs out to market first. The only reason for the different grading system is (A) to speed up the grading of the books and (B) not to alienate the current high volume submitters with direct competition from Wizard, but still allow Wizard to sell on their own. Not sure I like what's going on.

This has to be a continued joke. I don't even know how to effectively articulate how bad of an idea this would be for Wizard and CGC to do this. Has anyone called Wizard to verify this and if it is a joke enough is enough.

Wow.

There's SO much wrong with this... I just don't even know where to start.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I have been kind of expecting such a thing. The Signature Series seems to be a prelude. Home Shopping Network seems to have a deal with CGC's coin counterpart - NGC. They apparantly send in a lot of coins and may be using a pre-grade system. At any rate, a slew of their coins are moderns - as in current year bought from the mint coins - that get MS 69 or MS 70 (the equivelant of CGC 9.9 or 10).

Just pondering aloud.

While I don't agree with the Signature Series line being such a bad idea, this Wizard First program is not a joke.

Nope - not a joke at all. frown.gif

What gets me about the Sig Series is that it is a "manufactured collectible". That is counter to what I understand CGC to be. And if you ask me about that will probably take a few to find the references where CGC says their goal is to not influence the market.

Handwriting/signature experts DO exist. CGC has decided to not seek their expertise but only allow signatures that were made in front of them. To me that is "plain vanilla". CGC depends on their staff to make, what essentialy are subjective opinions, on a book's grade. I say subjective because even CGC has stated that the grade gets looked at and discussed by a few graders before a final grade is assigned.

So I have to ask - why doesn't CGC seek outside experts in the signature realm? Why should a book I submit where *I* have written "Neal Adams" (btw - I never would but just using as an example) or whatever signature be handled in the same way that a book that actually WAS signed by Adams be handled? That is a notation with "Neal Adams" written on page one" or whatever. ???

Just because Adams didn't sign a book in front of CGC doesn't mean it is NOT an Adams signature. The fact that CGC has decided to acknowledge such a "didn't sign in front of us" book with a notation kind of gets to me. There ARE resources out there. I say to CGC either use the resources or start returning books ungraded because the signature verification is beyond their current resources.

sorry.gif Steve!

If the Wizard First program is real then what I want to know is how many books exactly are they sending over? Is it a small amount so they don't ruin other dealers or are they going to be the Wal-Mart of comics?

If it is real then I think there would be a serious exit of people submitting to CGC... Why send in books when they're going to sit on a shelf behind Wizard's stuff? How can CGC consider this when they aren't even within the ballpark of their estimated turn around times on everything else? sumo.gif

While I don't agree with the Signature Series line being such a bad idea, this Wizard First program is not a joke.

Yes it is a joke. It may also be "true," but it is most definitely a joke.

Steve B., what the hell are you guys thinking? I mean seriously. Aren't you guys behind enough on economy subs? And don't you think that MAYBE it might affect your appearance of impartiality for you to have this "special deal" with Wizard where Wizard gets its own "special Wizard grading scale" where everything we've been taught about the difference between a 10.0, 9.9, 9.8, 9.6, and 9.4 is effectively thrown out the window so that you can mass produce collectibles? Don't you guys have any kind of vision about where this thing is going to lead? What is it going to do to the rest of your regular customers, the comic store owners (which I am not), who send in dozens of new books each month? You are essentially telling them "screw you guys, we're in bed with Wizard now because the 10.0/9.5 thing is easier and we can grade more books and make more money this way." You're a nice guy, Steve, but this move really has me questioning CGC's business practices AND integrity. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

If the Wizard First program is real then what I want to know is how many books exactly are they sending over? Is it a small amount so they don't ruin other dealers or are they going to be the Wal-Mart of comics?

If it is real then I think there would be a serious exit of people submitting to CGC... Why send in books when they're going to sit on a shelf behind Wizard's stuff? How can CGC consider this when they aren't even within the ballpark of their estimated turn around times on everything else? sumo.gif

You be asking the wrong person there Tigger! grin.gif

Perchance someone in the know may reply! thumbsup2.gif

::Dag Nabbed typo edit - just one "n" - gyah!::