• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's The Next Logical Step?

49 posts in this topic

Okay, from a consumer perspective I was at a Toys R Us buying stuff for the kiddo recently and I see these little cards for $9.99 each that will allow me to get all the digital comics I want from Marvel for one full month. That's substantially lower than what I spend on Marvels at the LCS in the same given time frame.

I fully want to support my LCS, I will often sell books there on consignment instead of posting them on ebay...or here on the boards. However, the guy running the shop and I don't blame him at all, sees no upside for him on this digital format. Says it's pretty much cutting his own throat by supporting the digital format.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, especially with 52 new number 1's coming from DC. I think it might be just another way to sell the product and not necessarily cutting one's own throat. Same store sells TPBs, so why not sell the $9.99 digital cards?

I would think that this might actually be a good time to evolve a little, sell the digiital product. Even if the LCS's do not get on board with the digital offerings, people that want the digital books are still going to buy them.

I'm thinking the purist collectors are still going to want floppies. The floppy is the first print original and everything else is just a reprint right?

I mean it's not going cause the publishers (key word being they are in the business to publish) to stop publishing floppies.

I don't know...anyone else want to chime in on this topic. I'm sure I'm not exactly cohesive in my presentation, but I think you kind of get my argument.

Now keep in mind, every month I read The Walking Dead preview online and still buy 3-5 copies of the floppy. (depending on my mood)

In the past year i've bought a few digital comics of SA keys just to have on my iPad.

I will also never buy new comics in the digital comic format. If I want new comics...I will buy hardcopy.

I just don't see many LCS doing anything to support digital comics.

In the past year i've bought a few digital comics of SA keys just to have on my iPad.

I will also never buy new comics in the digital comic format. If I want new comics...I will buy hardcopy.

Do you think they're excluding themselves from making $9.99 per sale on those little cards?

To me, logically you'd want to have everything that the industry is offering if you're going to be a specialized retail outlet like a comic shop.

At this point in time, with all the various formats available, just buy the medium you enjoy. It may be floppies for one title, digital for another, or a sweet hardcover for something you want on your bookshelf.

I can't remember. Was there a lot of angst about visiting new LCS's and abandoning the local 5 & dime? (shrug) Eventually the market will sort itself out and evolve to serve the most customers.

Do you think they're excluding themselves from making $9.99 per sale on those little cards?

To me, logically you'd want to have everything that the industry is offering if you're going to be a specialized retail outlet like a comic shop.

I agree it would seem to make sense to offer the cards for sale but some thoughts come to mind:

1. They might be afraid to offer these digital cards as it can lead to more digital sales (if people like them) that will ultimiately erode their business over time.

2. It depends on the profit margin on the digital cards. If there isn't much profitability in selling the cards...does it really make sense to carry them?

I agree it would seem to make sense to offer the cards for sale but some thoughts come to mind:

1. They might be afraid to offer these digital cards as it can lead to more digital sales (if people like them) that will ultimiately erode their business over time.

2. It depends on the profit margin on the digital cards. If there isn't much profitability in selling the cards...does it really make sense to carry them?

Both are valid points. However, I left the hobby in 2005 and only made my way back in after I started picking up TPBs of The Walking Dead, ultimately I do not collect TPBs even though I primarily bought TPBs to begin with when I got back in a couple of years ago, I eventually migrated towards floppies.

So I'm thinking that by not promoting the digital they are also missing an opportunity to promote the floppy.

People wanting to buy digital comics are used to get access and pay for the content online. There is no way that they would: 1) get into their car and drive to the store to 2) buy a digital access code card so that 3) they can download content into their machines. And I am sure that publishers know that. In order to satisfy this market, access has to be instant and I am afraid that it will mostly leave the retailer out. Given this, there is no reason why they shouldn't offer those cards as a small wait to participate in the new channel but I fear they are not going to see any of the benefits.

hate to say it but... LCS are a dying bussiness. with all the on-line issues and cheap prices ($9.99 for a whole month) those are just another nail in the coffin

i think 99.5% of people that does visit a LCS are the hardcore collectors and kid/parents that just wants to kill some time in the mall.

Some here have been making the argument that actual paper comics are doomed.

Some here have been making the argument that paper comics will live forever.

As usual, the truth is most likely somewhere in the middle.

IMO, there will always be a hard core following of the paper products. But it seems to me that more and more people just want more "space". Files are being kept in digital format. Books are being read in digital format. Students are being taught with digital formats.

I think that the actual reading of new comic books will become almost entirely digital, whereas the collecting of comics will involve those books already produced in paper, that will be traded, bought, sold and cherished. The new books will slowly fade away, as a paper product.

Heck. Some schools don't even teach cursive writing anymore. The old ways are disappearing.

I heard a rumor just last week, that there are even people living together, and having children out of wedlock! I know, I know. Probably just an oddball and surely not pervasive.

But it saddened me when I heard it.

Same store sells TPBs, so why not sell the $9.99 digital cards?

----------

TPBs cost almost as much as the original issues would.

They're more profitable than floppies for the comic shop because (1) they don't damage on the rack so easily and (2) they practically have an unlimited shelf life.

The drawback for the shop with TPBs is that you may be able to get them from amazon, et al. for 25-50% off, which kills his profit margin.

I liked my local shop, but when buying WD TPBs, they didn't come close to competing with a 30-40% off coupon from the now defunct Borders.

Okay, from a consumer perspective I was at a Toys R Us buying stuff for the kiddo recently and I see these little cards for $9.99 each that will allow me to get all the digital comics I want from Marvel for one full month. That's substantially lower than what I spend on Marvels at the LCS in the same given time frame.

I fully want to support my LCS, I will often sell books there on consignment instead of posting them on ebay...or here on the boards. However, the guy running the shop and I don't blame him at all, sees no upside for him on this digital format. Says it's pretty much cutting his own throat by supporting the digital format.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, especially with 52 new number 1's coming from DC. I think it might be just another way to sell the product and not necessarily cutting one's own throat. Same store sells TPBs, so why not sell the $9.99 digital cards?

I would think that this might actually be a good time to evolve a little, sell the digiital product. Even if the LCS's do not get on board with the digital offerings, people that want the digital books are still going to buy them.

I'm thinking the purist collectors are still going to want floppies. The floppy is the first print original and everything else is just a reprint right?

I mean it's not going cause the publishers (key word being they are in the business to publish) to stop publishing floppies.

I don't know...anyone else want to chime in on this topic. I'm sure I'm not exactly cohesive in my presentation, but I think you kind of get my argument.

Now keep in mind, every month I read The Walking Dead preview online and still buy 3-5 copies of the floppy. (depending on my mood)

If monthly floppy readers switch to digital comic shops will go out of business en masse. Why would Marvel, et al. pay a middleman to distribute digital when they can sell the downloads directly or maybe through amazon and give amazon a smaller % of the price than a shop gets. the % of monthly buyers who really care about "1st print" or 9.8s on what is likely to be worth less as a back issue in 6 months is pretty small nowadays. I see folks picking up their monthly pile and they don't care about condition...I've seen plenty of people turn down the free bag and board my shops give with each book...they're going to read them and toss them in a box. they aren't collectors looking for re-sale. some of these people will want to stick with the 'feel" of comics, but some just want the stories, and if they can pay $9.99 for a month of marvel vs. $300 for Marvel's floppies, they will do it in a heartbeat. Unless readership goes up 3000% there is no way the comic shops can break even under that scenario.

i will never buy a digital download of a comic book. never.

Would you read it for free?

no. if floppies go away there's a back issue library of thousands and thousands of terrific comics, more than i'd ever be able to read in this lifetime, availabe for dirt cheap; that's how i'd get my fix. won't be of much help to my LCS tho. a digital comic and I will never become acquainted.

i will never buy a digital download of a comic book. never.

Would you read it for free?

no. if floppies go away there's a back issue library of thousands and thousands of terrific comics, more than i'd ever be able to read in this lifetime, availabe for dirt cheap; that's how i'd get my fix. won't be of much help to my LCS tho. a digital comic and I will never become acquainted.

I think I'm pretty much the same. I've tried to read comics on my computer but I don't like it...I like the way comics look printed on paper, I like the way they smell and feel. My wife on the other hand absolutely LOVES reading Manga on her Kindle (shrug)