• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lurker-Man No More: A not-so newbies first post

49 posts in this topic

Now I've done it. After years of hiding as an anonymous user, I've taken the plunge and joined the boards. Be gentle.

Although I am new to the boards, I'm not new to collecting. I bought my first comic in 1964. Originally I was a DC guy. Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Superman and the Atom were part of the only superhero universe I knew existed. That all changed a few years later when a friend handed me a pile of comics from an unknown publisher with heroes I never heard of and said "you've gotta read these". I did and was an immediate convert. "Make Mine Marvel" became my mantra.

By the late 60's my interest in comics had begun to wane. When the cover price was raised from 12 to 15 cents I decided to stop collecting. I think my last purchase was ASM #78. In the few years I collected I had been fortunate to obtain a significant number of Marvel back issues. The books I carefully packed away included complete runs of Daredevil, X-Men, every Spidey except for AF15, and #'s 3 and 5. I had a significant percentage of all the other Marvel titles.

In the mid-70's I met Gene Carpenter (All American Comics) and he has remained a close friend since that time. When I showed him my collection I was surprised to learn that my ASM #1 was worth $50. I was devastated to find out that Gwen Stacy was dead. I began collecting again. Gene and I teamed up for a few years and supported our comic buying habit by setting up at shows in Wheaton, MD and Richmond, VA. In a classic case of "it seemed like a good idea at the time", in the late 70's I decided to sell my collection. A couple of shows later all my books were gone. Spidey 1 sold for $125. Trust me, I remember.

Junp ahead to the mid-90's. I'm now a Dad and my son is beginning to read. I start thinking I should introduce him to comics so we begin attending shows and buying new issues at a LCS. He likes them and I am hooked again. By the late 90's I am growing tired of escalating prices and gimmicky covers. The Clone Saga pushes me over the edge. I decided that my limited comic buying funds will only be spent on the comics I am really interested in, those from the Silver and Bronze ages. That is where my collecting focus remains today.

I've been fortunate to have met and gotten to know a number of boardies by attending the Olney Swap meets organized by Cave Carson. I've been known there as "Jeff the Lurker" but that is all changed now. A special thanks to Cave, Chrisco37, gregreece, Foolkiller, Timmay, esquirecomics, Zuckuss, Rich Henn, PeasofCrap, BaltimoreLauren and Rob (sorry, I forget your board name) for the always interesting conversations.

I've learned a lot while lurking on these boards and hope that I can make positive contributions to this community.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I hope to meet many more of you and thanks for listening.

Now I've done it. After years of hiding as an anonymous user, I've taken the plunge and joined the boards. Be gentle.

Although I am new to the boards, I'm not new to collecting. I bought my first comic in 1964. Originally I was a DC guy. Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Superman and the Atom were part of the only superhero universe I knew existed. That all changed a few years later when a friend handed me a pile of comics from an unknown publisher with heroes I never heard of and said "you've gotta read these". I did and was an immediate convert. "Make Mine Marvel" became my mantra.

By the late 60's my interest in comics had begun to wane. When the cover price was raised from 12 to 15 cents I decided to stop collecting. I think my last purchase was ASM #78. In the few years I collected I had been fortunate to obtain a significant number of Marvel back issues. The books I carefully packed away included complete runs of Daredevil, X-Men, every Spidey except for AF15, and #'s 3 and 5. I had a significant percentage of all the other Marvel titles.

In the mid-70's I met Gene Carpenter (All American Comics) and he has remained a close friend since that time. When I showed him my collection I was surprised to learn that my ASM #1 was worth $50. I was devastated to find out that Gwen Stacy was dead. I began collecting again. Gene and I teamed up for a few years and supported our comic buying habit by setting up at shows in Wheaton, MD and Richmond, VA. In a classic case of "it seemed like a good idea at the time", in the late 70's I decided to sell my collection. A couple of shows later all my books were gone. Spidey 1 sold for $125. Trust me, I remember.

Junp ahead to the mid-90's. I'm now a Dad and my son is beginning to read. I start thinking I should introduce him to comics so we begin attending shows and buying new issues at a LCS. He likes them and I am hooked again. By the late 90's I am growing tired of escalating prices and gimmicky covers. The Clone Saga pushes me over the edge. I decided that my limited comic buying funds will only be spent on the comics I am really interested in, those from the Silver and Bronze ages. That is where my collecting focus remains today.

I've been fortunate to have met and gotten to know a number of boardies by attending the Olney Swap meets organized by Cave Carson. I've been known there as "Jeff the Lurker" but that is all changed now. A special thanks to Cave, Chrisco37, gregreece, Foolkiller, Timmay, esquirecomics, Zuckuss, Rich Henn, PeasofCrap, BaltimoreLauren and Rob (sorry, I forget your board name) for the always interesting conversations.

I've learned a lot while lurking on these boards and hope that I can make positive contributions to this community.

Hey, we all need friends in here. I could be a friend to you. hm

:signfunny: WTTB :hi:

This type of friend Dice... hm

superman2.jpg

This type of friend Dice... hm

superman2.jpg

:lol:

I was thinking the kind of friend that trades his friends for cigarettes.