• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To my East Coast comic buddies...

144 posts in this topic

Pretty sure I'm safe from flooding where I am in Brooklyn (slap dab in the middle) but there are some 100+ year old trees near me that are going to do some serious damage if they go down.

Flips - get your parents out of their apartment in Coney. Be firm with them. When Gloria hit a while back water came all he way up to Avenue X, which I'm pretty sure is further away from the water than most/all of Coney. If they're afraid of getting robbed/looting, if the power goes out the 22nd floor is probably one of the last floors burglars are going to hit. Being stuck on the 22nd floor, potentially with no running water, is a recipe for disaster.

Im here for the duration. My family lives a block over..

Be safe Pat and stay indoors!

I got out of that area this afternoon around 12:30 and things seemed 'normal'... but as I was heading back north I was hearing all these reports on CNN that people were being told to evacuate.

They're predicting massive power outage in the area... :eek:

I wish I could do something for you and your family to get you out of there!

We don't get anything of the sort over here but my best wishes to everyone in this community who will be going to have to face the storm. :wishluck:

Best wishes from Portugal. Stay safe, stay alive.

Watched the outer bands of the hurricane go by this morning at Cocoa Beach.

I think every surfer in the state was out there trying their best to get out to where

the huge waves were. As someone who has been through many storms, don't

get hung up on what category it is. You may not have any damage to your

dwelling, but you need to be prepared for your infrastructure to be down for awhile.

You may be without electricity, gasoline, basic foodstuffs.

One of the best things you can do is to stuff as many bottled waters that you can

into your freezer and let them freeze solid. This will help your refrigerated foods

last longer in the event of a power outage. Have candles or glow sticks around so

you can see at night. Make sure you have a good supply of any prescription

meds that you need. Truckstops by the interstates usually have meals that

can heat themselves up. They are also a good place to find 12Volt appliances

like coffee makers, fans, skillets that can be run off car batteries.

This has been a public service announcement from Flee in Florida. :)

Just got word that my parents got a "mandatory evacuation" in Coney Island. Leaving work early to go get them to leave. They are stubborn and dont want to leave because they are 22 flights up. Im probably gonna just stay there with them.

Why would you compound one bad choice with another? Either go get them or stay away, but don't go stay with them. :screwy:

Cause they are my parents and im not leaving them alone. Its like saying New Mexico is not a state so i cant ship there. :screwy:

Jeff, get them the heck out of there (lure them w/ the promise of a sweet Polish buffet). Even if their apt. is OK, there's a good chance they're going to be stuck there for a few days, or more, w/out phone access or electricity. Not a situation you want to be in, especially if they have some kind of emergency. And Mon. looks like it will be nice and hot--hate to not have A/C.

Good luck to everyone along the coast.

Watched the outer bands of the hurricane go by this morning at Cocoa Beach.

I think every surfer in the state was out there trying their best to get out to where

the huge waves were. As someone who has been through many storms, don't

get hung up on what category it is. You may not have any damage to your

dwelling, but you need to be prepared for your infrastructure to be down for awhile.

You may be without electricity, gasoline, basic foodstuffs.

One of the best things you can do is to stuff as many bottled waters that you can

into your freezer and let them freeze solid. This will help your refrigerated foods

last longer in the event of a power outage. Have candles or glow sticks around so

you can see at night. Make sure you have a good supply of any prescription

meds that you need. Truckstops by the interstates usually have meals that

can heat themselves up. They are also a good place to find 12Volt appliances

like coffee makers, fans, skillets that can be run off car batteries.

Been through many hurricanes in my day :preach: the worst being the category 5 monster called Andrew back in the 90s. :ohnoez::o I totally agree with Flee. Be safe everyone. Don't under estimate any category of hurricane, a hurricane can spawn funnel clouds on land and sea without warning. That's where the really bad damage can occur. And remember stay away from windows!!!

be careful everyone. (tsk)

This has been a public service announcement from Newt in Florida.

I sure hope this turns out to be all hype :wishluck:

Yea I think the National Media as per usual is blowing this a little too out of portion.

Of course be cautious, but for people to go out and spend money on extra food/water is just over doing it.

When my Philly friends called me after the 5.8 earthquake hit NC, and ran up the coastline to Philly and asked me what they should do for their safety.

I replied to them stop being and go back inside.

I have had girls rock me harder in bed causing greater shaking than the 5.8 earthquake. :luhv:

sheeesshhhh

Take caution my friends, especially on the coastline, but don't think it is going to be the next Katrina for goodness sakes. The storm will pass......

Be safe! (thumbs u

Just got word that my parents got a "mandatory evacuation" in Coney Island. Leaving work early to go get them to leave. They are stubborn and dont want to leave because they are 22 flights up. Im probably gonna just stay there with them.

Why would you compound one bad choice with another? Either go get them or stay away, but don't go stay with them. :screwy:

Cause they are my parents and im not leaving them alone. Its like saying New Mexico is not a state so i cant ship there. :screwy:

Saying that would just make you twice as crazy.

:insane: Then im crazy. But i do know New Mexico is a state.

That, and the quality of your service, is why you get my business. (thumbs u

Good luck man. :wishluck:

Thanks pal. (thumbs u

Truckstops by the interstates usually have meals that

can heat themselves up.

Living near the Gulf, I see plenty of hurricanes. I recommend purchasing MREs, because they have a good shelf life and really aren't too bad. I have a week's worth in a closet, so whenever a hurricane is threatening to hit I don't have to fight crowds for non-perishable food.

Also, fill up your bathtub(s) with water, especially if you're using a well. If your water service is interrupted, that toilet has one flush.

One more day and I'll be getting it. I have one house down by the ocean and I wish I was staying there. It might get some wind damage, but should be okay. I live about 10 miles inland on a pond and I face East with about 5 huge diseased trees only a few feet away. After what should be about 15 hours of tropical storm winds and rain at least one will probably fall into the house. Another huge dead tree at the end of my neighbors driveway should be the first to take out the powerlines. If by some miracle that doesn't happen my run from the street to the pond is about 100 yards through trees and brush. So I expect to not have any power or more importantly INTERNET for a few days. lol

I sure hope this turns out to be all hype :wishluck:

Yea I think the National Media as per usual is blowing this a little too out of portion.

Of course be cautious, but for people to go out and spend money on extra food/water is just over doing it.

When my Philly friends called me after the 5.8 earthquake hit NC, and ran up the coastline to Philly and asked me what they should do for their safety.

I replied to them stop being and go back inside.

I have had girls rock me harder in bed causing greater shaking than the 5.8 earthquake. :luhv:I call BS

sheeesshhhh

Take caution my friends, especially on the coastline, but don't think it is going to be the next Katrina for goodness sakes. The storm will pass......

Be safe! (thumbs u

Thanks dude (thumbs u

Evacuate if you are on the coast, but by all means stay safe. I wish you guys the best. :foryou:

+1

Haven't been on here much or listened to the news but my kids told me about it.

Stay safe, guys!

Evacuate if you are on the coast, but by all means stay safe. I wish you guys the best. :foryou:

+1

Haven't been on here much or listened to the news but my kids told me about it.

Stay safe, guys!

thanks.

I just came back from the supermarkets and it was hard to find a place to park, D batteries are already sold out at the local Wal-mart. I stocked up on water. Well now off to duct tape my windows.

last longer in the event of a power outage.

This is actually great advice. Did it last night. I never even thought of that. doh!

Personally, I think the media is blowing it way out of proportion for us here in the NY area. We had a pretty bad storm a few years back that I remember. Knocked out some power and had some crazy winds, which knocked down a piece of my parent's fence in their backyard. However, I don't remember this much media coverage happening then. I'm expecting something similar. I guess we'll see later on if the meteorologists are right or wrong. Hopefully, they'll be the latter. Everyone stay safe.