• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Always check the dollar bins...

35 posts in this topic

***Mistakenly posted in Bronze originally by mistake - mods, please delete that thread if possible!***

...you never know what may be lurking within. Today's take from the dollar bins at the So Cal Comic Con:

gr93.th.jpg

gr92.th.jpg

dddpannual.th.jpg

Rai #0 "glossy" - I think...

rai0.th.jpg

...and this one, which I had never seen before today:

motau.th.jpg

***Mistakenly posted in Bronze originally by mistake - mods, please delete that thread if possible!***

...you never know what may be lurking within. Today's take from the dollar bins at the So Cal Comic Con:

gr93.th.jpg

I found one of those for a buck @ WWChicago last year. Sure, I had already purchased one off of someone's wall at C2E2 a few months earlier :pullhair:, but still nice.

My friend found 7 uncirculated copies of GI Joe 21 1st prints at Baltimore last weekend on Sunday morning. All in 9.0-9.4 shape in a guys dollar box. The guy had multiple long boxes of 80's Fantastic four, they were a pinch of G.I. Joes books in that FF inventory. I went through those boxes on Friday and went to fast as the FF were not of any interest to me. I did pull out several copies of ASM 431, single copies of X-Men 266, Teen Titans 1 and 2 from that collection.

how hard is it to just pull a stack out of the box, to make room enough to go through the box? (shrug)

Then leave the stack on top of the boxes as a hint.

lol

Sadly, what usually happens is the stack gets jammed back into the box with great force, bending spines, and disordering the books... :(

how hard is it to just pull a stack out of the box, to make room enough to go through the box? (shrug)

Then leave the stack on top of the boxes as a hint.

lol

Sadly, what usually happens is the stack gets jammed back into the box with great force, bending spines, and disordering the books... :(

I have ruined probably 30-40 books over the years doing this myself. Always greatly frustrates me. I even did it to a gorgeous Kid Colt #103.

Back when I lived in Midlesbrough there was an old second hand bookstore (Near to MacDonalds and opposite the post office for the other Boro boardies).

The old bloke who owned it also had about three dozen long boxes worth of comics (Mostly grading about 7.5ish).

I spent an afternoon going through his stock and pulled almost entire runs of

Daredevil 101 - 250

Fantastic Four 250 - 350

New Mutants 1 - 20

Ka-Zar the Savage 1-21 (Entire run)

Micronauts vol 1

ROM 1-10

Plus a host of other random pulls. All in all about 400 books.

He'd priced his entire stock at 50p per issue (About 80c these days).

If I remember rightly, I managed to negotiate him down to about £180 (About $300 current rate).

I went back a few weeks later to find he'd realised his pricing mistake and invested in an Overstreet. His entire stock suddenly jumped to guide price.

I visited a comic book store in Colorado Springs last month where the guy's backstock consisted of 60 or so long boxes with every book either marked at $1 or $2.

I pulled Punisher War Journal 6-7, Preacher 2, New Mutants 1, and Stranger in Paradise vol. 2 # 1 (first) along with some McFarlane Hulks in the 330s before putting them all back--I realized the 8-10 books weren't worth the hassle to securely pack into an otherwise-full carry-on to fly back across country.

Instead, I bought another Fables trade.

Still, it was a thrill to see basically a whole comic book store made entirely of dollar issues.

Back when I lived in Midlesbrough there was an old second hand bookstore (Near to MacDonalds and opposite the post office for the other Boro boardies).

The old bloke who owned it also had about three dozen long boxes worth of comics (Mostly grading about 7.5ish).

I spent an afternoon going through his stock and pulled almost entire runs of

Daredevil 101 - 250

Fantastic Four 250 - 350

New Mutants 1 - 20

Ka-Zar the Savage 1-21 (Entire run)

Micronauts vol 1

ROM 1-10

Plus a host of other random pulls. All in all about 400 books.

He'd priced his entire stock at 50p per issue (About 80c these days).

If I remember rightly, I managed to negotiate him down to about £180 (About $300 current rate).

I went back a few weeks later to find he'd realised his pricing mistake and invested in an Overstreet. His entire stock suddenly jumped to guide price.

:shrug:

Other than the Miller DDs and #131, those prices are pretty much spot on for what you were buying.