• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

closed

101 posts in this topic

I don't have interest in the book but the amount of thread carping here is ridiculous. Anyone with GPA could have looked up this book and saw the last sales and made their own opinion on the price.

If the price is too high...nobody will buy it. The market will have spoken.

Posting this BS in someone's thread isn't necessary. The price will speak for itself.

And, the omission of the lower price could have been PM'd to the seller to inform them about it instead of posting it like a "spoon" here with the intent to discredit the seller.

Good luck with the sale. It's a cool book!

I would say it is the job of the potential buyers to do the research of last sales prices, and not the job of the seller (shrug)

Or does anyone of you guys start with the lowest price to sell? Maybe with a 3 dollar book but not a book in this category. There should alway be room to lower a price and if somebody wants to buy it with the highest price, so be it.

with the intent to discredit the seller.

Hasn't he discredited himself by pretending not to know about his own deal? I admit (and was the first to point out) that all this speculation is in fact threadkrapping, but on a board that tends to police itself rather vigorously, don't you think he invited this kind of attention?

If he had simply said he was the one who got a sweet deal and was looking to turn a profit I don't think his thread would have become what it has. Honesty is never a bad idea.

Hasn't he discredited himself by pretending not to know about his own deal? I admit (and was the first to point out) that all this speculation is in fact threadkrapping, but on a board that tends to police itself rather vigorously, don't you think he invited this kind of attention?

If he had simply said he was the one who got a sweet deal and was looking to turn a profit I don't think his thread would have become what it has. Honesty is never a bad idea.

Exactly. No one complained about his price. They're complaining because he quoted the book's GPA history, in fact using the history as a selling tool, but left out the most recent/lowest realized price. You can't say "Hey, look how well my price compares to GPA history!", and then present an incomplete picture of GPA.

If he'd left GPA out of it, this thread would already be heading for page two.

Exactly. No one complained about his price. They're complaining because he quoted the book's GPA history, in fact using the history as a selling tool, but left out the most recent/lowest realized price. You can't say "Hey, look how well my price compares to GPA history!", and then present an incomplete picture of GPA.

If he'd left GPA out of it, this thread would already be heading for page two.

Completely agree...if what appeared to be a disingenuous sales pitch would not have been made, I believe serious shoppers would have checked GPA, heritage archives, etc. on their own and not said a word...either PMing interest or moving along.

Instead, there is a partial revealing of historical prices and discussion of pressing potential and profit for the potential buyer. Left me feeling as if an attempt had been made to take advantage of the shoppers here. Just my two cents, but I think it was absolutely appropriate to bring the recent sale to everyone's attention when he discussed the previous sales and was weighing whether to do so or not on my own.

Not withstanding that GPA sale that just barely showed up. Every CGC sale except that one went for well above my asking price and Several CGC sales in the same $3K range would give a lot more weight than 1 low sale that somehow fell through the cracks and sticks way out from the rest. Throw out the high and the low and you still get the same thing.

Please let me know if you ever sell your house. To be fair, I will also like to hijack your listing by doing extra research to inform buyers of that one low bank foreclosure fire sale for a similar house down the street, so why would anyone want to buy your house for anywhere near or even well below the average? Really, who does that??? Hey, if I actually misstate something by accident, by all means PM me, but everything detailed in my listing was 100% accurate. Its obvious some people have no life, but if you are not interested in the comic, keep moving on and make way for serious buyers. :makepoint:

Yeah, the old "you have no life" tactic always works like a charm around here :doh:

Why don't you just own up to the fact that you intentionally left out that last sale because it made your asking price look high?

Pretending that you weren't aware of the most recent sale of this book on Heritage when the HA book has the same serial number as the one you're selling is so ridiculous that it's almost insulting.

Good luck with the sale :thumbsup:

You must get around, sounds like you have had that no life statement thrown at you more than a few times. :insane: I guess the house sale example was still too complex for you to make any sense. A typical person would realize they were being an azz and maybe could have shown a bit more courtesy or etiquette on a sale that you have absolutely no interest in. With such a history of much higher prices being paid on a book that guides for over $4K, I am so glad you had to post like 20 times that 1 low price, your a real outstanding citizen! By that I mean someone who probably still lives in their moms basement playing world of warcraft 1/2 the day and flaming people on message boards the other 1/2 of the day to make you feel better about yourself.

Actually when that poster is not spending time with his lovely wife and charming daughter, he is a contributing member of this forum. He looks out for hucksterism about as well as anyone around here. If you don't like it, put that slab back on Heritage, and/or suck it.

I'm torn on this one.

I'm usually against threadcrapping but this does seem a little shady.

Either leave gpa out or put it in but dont pick and choose which sales to quote to make it seem like a great deal when it actually was bought less than 2 weeks ago for almost 33% less than the asking price.

Definitely strikes me as a little shady. Acting like he didnt know about the sale of this book 2 weeks ago is just the icing on the cake (tsk)

The omission of the most recent GPA is suspicious at best. If you site GPA to bolster an asking price, and not disclose the most recent sale of the very same book, it's pure and simple manipulation of the facts.

Next :/

I'm torn on this one.

Either leave gpa out or put it in but dont pick and choose which sales to quote to make it seem like a great deal when it actually was bought less than 2 weeks ago for almost 33% less than the asking price.

Definitely strikes me as a little shady. Acting like he didnt know about the sale of this book 2 weeks ago is just the icing on the cake (tsk)

I agree it's a bit shady to leave the bit out and then edit it back in. No doubt about it.

His mistake was including GPA in the first place...and not including all the info. Agreed

Although, the fact remains that if the price was too high...it wouldn't sell here. My opinion is that unless someone is breaking the rules in the forum I don't see the need to post about someone's price here. Again, a PM would have worked just fine to inform the seller first about the omission. If they didn't add it in after that...perhaps posting in here would be okay. Just my 2c

I'm torn on this one.

I agree it's a bit shady to leave the bit out and then edit it back in. No doubt about it.

His mistake was including GPA in the first place...and not including all the info. Agreed

Although, the fact remains that if the price was too high...it wouldn't sell here. My opinion is that unless someone is breaking the rules in the forum I don't see the need to post about someone's price here. Again, a PM would have worked just fine to inform the seller first about the omission. If they didn't add it in after that...perhaps posting in here would be okay. Just my 2c

Not everyone has GPA. Many people would have accepted the GPA history he quoted. Informing him of the omission via PM would make sense to me if it were possible that he wasn't already aware of it, but he was the buyer, so the omission was intentional.

And I live in Southern California. We don't have basements.

Moral of the story:

If you're buying a book at WELL below gpa and are going to try a quick flip either:

A) Sell it before the info hits gpa

or

B) Buy it from Comiclink (thumbs u

:baiting:

I have NEVER in my Lifetime seen a seller advertise, $XXX is the Price I paid on this book, but you can have it for just $XXX more because I got it at a wholesale steal! Especially on such a rare buying opportunity; really please point out 1 time EVER where you see a seller advertise the price he/she paid on a comic in a similar circumstance??? That is the one price nobody has any business being given unless the seller really wants to give it, or if an interested buyer has access to it themselves, but it should especially Not be given by anyone else that wants to hijack a thread and slowly destroy the sales forum in this way. :frustrated:

At least some people here appear reasonable, but lets review some logic here for the others and maybe turn on a light or two for the sake of common sense. I used every last bit of information I had in front of me when purchasing this book when I had come to the conclusion this is easily a $3,000 range book with a ton of potential and that is exactly the same information I shared with all other people on the board. I was ready to back that analysis up in the final auction a ton more, but I lucked out when the live auctioneer seemingly skipped right over it and hardly gave anyone time to bid up to the true market value. This is the first time in years I have had that happen to that extent to get such a low price below market on such a scarce key worth so much more.

I shared all the GPA information that I had at my disposal during the auction and I was surprised GPA had already factored my new sale in (I have only had GPA for a couple weeks myself), but I adjusted my original post this morning as soon as I found out it had already been updated. However, even if I had only shared a couple of the recent prices for reference, it is still the job of any interested buyer to search the guide, auction house, GPA and any other source THEY desire to decide if they want to move forward on a good deal or not. If someone wants to check out Heritage or GPA, by all means they should check it out, that is the buyers personal choice, but it should NOT be the choice of others who want to hijack your sales thread and tell other people what price a dealer just paid for something!! That just destroys the boards as a sales market! Now I see why I have been told by a couple other dealers why they will never sell on the boards and that is very unfortunate for all the great material that would otherwise be available if not for a few bad seeds that have to ruin it for everyone else.

I see there are a lot of good people here on the boards, that is why I decided to give it a try for some of my really nice books that I thought would be a welcome addition, even if only for just those who only like to see the scans of classics. Unfortunately my view of the sales board and a few of the people here that like to ruin it for everyone has taken a big crash. :tonofbricks:

I have NEVER in my Lifetime seen a seller advertise, $XXX is the Price I paid on this book, but you can have it for just $XXX more because I got it at a wholesale steal! Especially on such a rare buying opportunity; really please point out 1 time EVER where you see a seller advertise the price he/she paid on a comic in a similar circumstance??? That is the one price nobody has any business being given unless the seller really wants to give it, or if an interested buyer has access to it themselves, but it should especially Not be given by anyone else that wants to hijack a thread and slowly destroy the sales forum in this way. :frustrated:

At least some people here appear reasonable, but lets review some logic here for the others and maybe turn on a light or two for the sake of common sense. I used every last bit of information I had in front of me when purchasing this book when I had come to the conclusion this is easily a $3,000 range book with a ton of potential and that is exactly the same information I shared with all other people on the board. I was ready to back that analysis up in the final auction a ton more, but I lucked out when the live auctioneer seemingly skipped right over it and hardly gave anyone time to bid up to the true market value. This is the first time in years I have had that happen to that extent to get such a low price below market on such a scarce key worth so much more.

I shared all the GPA information that I had at my disposal during the auction and I was surprised GPA had already factored my new sale in (I have only had GPA for a couple weeks myself), but I adjusted my original post this morning as soon as I found out it had already been updated. However, even if I had only shared a couple of the recent prices for reference, it is still the job of any interested buyer to search the guide, auction house, GPA and any other source THEY desire to decide if they want to move forward on a good deal or not. If someone wants to check out Heritage or GPA, by all means they should check it out, that is the buyers personal choice, but it should NOT be the choice of others who want to hijack your sales thread and tell other people what price a dealer just paid for something!! That just destroys the boards as a sales market! Now I see why I have been told by a couple other dealers why they will never sell on the boards and that is very unfortunate for all the great material that would otherwise be available if not for a few bad seeds that have to ruin it for everyone else.

I see there are a lot of good people here on the boards, that is why I decided to give it a try for some of my really nice books that I thought would be a welcome addition, even if only for just those who only like to see the scans of classics. Unfortunately my view of the sales board and a few of the people here that like to ruin it for everyone has taken a big crash. :tonofbricks:

It does look bad when you put every possible GPA price except the one you purchased it at. GPA updates quickly, every time I go to check an ebay auction that ended if it made it to the GPA and its there every time. Next time just post the book and the price you're asking without the sale pitch. 2,800 is a solid price still but your sales pitch was a little shady and it bothered a lot of people.

It does look bad when you put every possible GPA price except the one you purchased it at. GPA updates quickly, every time I go to check an ebay auction that ended if it made it to the GPA and its there every time. Next time just post the book and the price you're asking without the sale pitch. 2,800 is a solid price still but your sales pitch was a little shady and it bothered a lot of people.

+1

If you had said "below gpa 12 month or 90 day average" or something like that, you would have been fine. To quote every single sale of this book except for your below gpa sale rubbed people the wrong way imo.

For the record also, i've seen people here on the board advertise books with something along the lines of " i got this book for a steal so i'll pass those savings along to the boards" MANY times (thumbs u

Whatever, you can ask whatever you want for your book. People will pay it if they want the book bad enough or pass if they dont. Like i said though, providing "selected" gpa info made it seem a little shady at least to me and apparently a bunch of other people (shrug)

I believe this has Jack Kirby art as well,

Actually, he drew Captain Marvel Adventures #1, not Special Edition Comics #1. Not trying to act like my namesake, just trying to keep the facts straight on the Information Superhighway.

Thanks *spoon* Pontoon. It was around 3 am when I was trolling this thread, and my bleary-eyed hand started typing on its own. I knew it was one of the very early Captain Marvel books, always thought it was cool that Kirby drew in the CC Beck style.

(and a No Prize for the Boardie who can identify when and in what context the term "bleary-eyed hand" was used in Stan's Soapbox... )

Btw,

IME, GPA has heritage sales on their site the NEXT day usually. The last 2 or 3 books i bought from them, gpa had the sales info on their site the next morning so you definitely shouldnt be surprised that they had your sales data available 2 weeks later (thumbs u