• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: While I fully support Free Speech...

36 posts in this topic

The author sounds like someone who is resentful/jealous and judgemental toward athletes or people who are successful/well-known ("I could tell he was that type of macho guy, from his scowling, beefy face on the CNN pictures.").

I don't think Tillman should be worshipped (dying doesn't make you a saint unless you were one in life), and I don't think his death was more important than any other person's who has died fighting for his/her country. But because he was more of a public figure and gave up the kind of life that is envied in America to join the armed services, his death was publicized more (partially because his story would sell more papers and get higher ratings - not trying to be cynical, but it's true).

I also think it's very poor taste to use someone's death as a platform to spout your agenda. The author is just showing his own ignorance and prejudice.

This is a situation where I think the kid spoke (or wrote) before thinking about what he was saying. Of course he is entitled to his opinion... but to me, this is a disgrace. I think the author lacks the EQ necessary to process the situation and that people, even those that may agree with his underlying point, will be even more predisposed to disagree with his article and more apt to ignore it.

Typical college newspaper dreg....

He's probably the same type of folks we had at my college paper...the kind that become journalism majors just so they'll have a forum to spout some attention getting garbage once a week and then hide behind cries of 'free speech! free speech!'

We had the same kind of outcasts...the kind that would write stuff just to get the faculty, staff and students in an uproar just so they could be 'famous' for a week or two...

I agree with everything you said.

The author sounds like someone who is resentful/jealous and judgemental toward athletes or people who are successful/well-known ("I could tell he was that type of macho guy, from his scowling, beefy face on the CNN pictures.").

I don't think Tillman should be worshipped (dying doesn't make you a saint unless you were one in life), and I don't think his death was more important than any other person's who has died fighting for his/her country. But because he was more of a public figure and gave up the kind of life that is envied in America to join the armed services, his death was publicized more (partially because his story would sell more papers and get higher ratings - not trying to be cynical, but it's true).

I also think it's very poor taste to use someone's death as a platform to spout your agenda. The author is just showing his own ignorance and prejudice.

The "reporter" writes: ""I could tell he was that type of macho guy, from his scowling, beefy face on the CNN pictures."

Reporting at its finest!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Say - he would fit right in with the Wizard First debacle going on here! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifgrin.gif

He got what he wanted. Bash a Great US Army Ranger, get all over the net and fell like a really BIG MAN. This is just like the collage that had a Knock a Jew in a oven cartoon for Holocaust week. Just another case of attention whore syndrome. Too much reality tv every a-hole wants his or hers 15 minutes.

Just another U-Mass donkey looking for his 2 minutes of fame boo.gif

we call 'em, Mindividual_without_enough_empathys down in Jersey............. grin.gif

but doesn't zoo york call jersey their ugly red headed stepsister? blush.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif