• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fake Amazing Fantasy 15?

46 posts in this topic

As MastrCntrlProgram stated this is probably one of the fakes sold on ebay a bit back. They were suppose to be exact copies. They had this (AF 15), FF1, ASM 129, X-Men 94, ASM 1. and a couple others I can't remember at this time.

I thought someone from Europe (Chromium or someone) had a pile of these a while back. I thought I remembered seeing it being torn in half for some prank post.

I have one fake one that was given to me by Osborn_fr (it's always the French isn't it) who made a pile of these on some industrial press at his work.

The fact he bought a Ferrari in the later months is pure coincidence (as is his address change and his now unlisted number)

The really troubling thing here would be that if it is indeed fake and offset printed...because then they would probably have to print at least a few of these to break even, as that is no cheap thing to do (plates, press time, etc). Caveat: I'm a few years removed from intimate knowledge of the printing industry, maybe it is cheaper to offset print things now, but that might be an even worse scenario...

Digital printing resembles offset very closely now - the dot pattern is super tight under the loop, but there is still a pattern. We use this process quite a bit for short run and proofing (I work at an ad agency) and it's quite amazing, especially when you compare it to offset.

If you were going to replicate an old comic (as a one-off, not mass produced), you could feasibly run newsprint through a large format laser printer, adjusting the dot pattern to an 85 line screen and give it the same feel. You would not be able to do that with an inkjet printer because of the bleed-through.

In the terms of this book being a "fake", it's actually quite interesting to figure out the process - you'd have to have some advanced knowledge to make this and pull it off.

It's too bad that the builder of this book didn't figure out a way to fade out the ink saturation to give it that 50-year-old-book look. That could have been the major step from fake to counterfeit.

How much would it cost to produce one comic with this setup?

If you gave the printer all the proper files, backed up so they assemble correctly (so they didn't have to do it) by the time you had printing and saddle stitching, you're probably looking at around $30 total. However, you'd probably have to do some looking around to find a printer that would run newsprint through their digital press. Otherwise you'd have to explore ways to age the document using the standard papers they run.

I thought someone from Europe (Chromium or someone) had a pile of these a while back. I thought I remembered seeing it being torn in half for some prank post.

I have one fake one that was given to me by Osborn_fr (it's always the French isn't it) who made a pile of these on some industrial press at his work.

The fact he bought a Ferrari in the later months is pure coincidence (as is his address change and his now unlisted number)

If only it was true :cloud9:

Yeah. Chrom doesn't rip them in half, he just pulls the covers apart.

This is payback for "Christine" right ?

15 minutes in the penalty box for Pontoon for hitting below the belt.

(tsk)

Do you really have some fake AF#15s??

PM answered (thumbs u

And i just found the thread where i used one copy for experimental purpose:

Pressing experiment #7523651

PM answered (thumbs u

Classic :applause:

PM answered (thumbs u

lol

Physical evidence such as the staple holes are already pretty damning, but I would suggest taking this to a commercial printer (not A Kinkos or anything like that) and asking them to look at the pages and tell you if they are offset printed or xeroxed.

The really troubling thing here would be that if it is indeed fake and offset printed...because then they would probably have to print at least a few of these to break even, as that is no cheap thing to do (plates, press time, etc). Caveat: I'm a few years removed from intimate knowledge of the printing industry, maybe it is cheaper to offset print things now, but that might be an even worse scenario...

I'm an offset printer and there is one full proof way to tell if something has been printed or copied.. Look at the pages through a magnifying glass and looks for dots. If you see tiny dots it has been offset printed on a printing press. A copied book will look "flatter"

Digital printing resembles offset very closely now - the dot pattern is super tight under the loop, but there is still a pattern. We use this process quite a bit for short run and proofing (I work at an ad agency) and it's quite amazing, especially when you compare it to offset.

If you were going to replicate an old comic (as a one-off, not mass produced), you could feasibly run newsprint through a large format laser printer, adjusting the dot pattern to an 85 line screen and give it the same feel. You would not be able to do that with an inkjet printer because of the bleed-through.

In the terms of this book being a "fake", it's actually quite interesting to figure out the process - you'd have to have some advanced knowledge to make this and pull it off.

It's too bad that the builder of this book didn't figure out a way to fade out the ink saturation to give it that 50-year-old-book look. That could have been the major step from fake to counterfeit.

How much would it cost to produce one comic with this setup?

To do It properly at least a couple hundred... it can't be done with color copying IMO