• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man Has Over $5000 Worth Of Superman Comics And Memorabilia Stolen

89 posts in this topic

Update:

According to Mike’s family, they have a solid lead on the guy– he’s actually named Gerry, not Gary– and the Granite City cops are on it. Still no word on whether or not they’ve actually got him or if the stuff is intact (I’m hoping that the internet furor hasn’t caused Gerry to dump it all in a panic) but I’ll put up an update when I hear something.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2011/09/07/a-chance-to-do-something-nice-for-a-comics-fan-who-could-use-a-little-niceness/

Look for Greg Hatcher's post.

Theft is bad, but theft from a special person is so much worse.

+1000000000000000000

I loathe people who take advantage of the disabled and animals. Not only are they gobes, but they're also totally ballless. :mad:

:golfclap:

hear hear

So I attended a local comic club meeting last week. The guy who was hosting has been accepting lots of the donations for Mike Meyer over the past weeks. As many of you know, Mike has recovered much of what was taken from his home and I think all the comics/Superman memorabilia. In fact, when I entered this collector's home, there were boxes and boxes of donations in the foyer. What, you may ask, is Mike going to do with all this stuff?

Superman fan shares his bounty with kids at St. Louis hospital

Thanks to everyone who donated.

So I attended a local comic club meeting last week. The guy who was hosting has been accepting lots of the donations for Mike Meyer over the past weeks. As many of you know, Mike has recovered much of what was taken from his home and I think all the comics/Superman memorabilia. In fact, when I entered this collector's home, there were boxes and boxes of donations in the foyer. What, you may ask, is Mike going to do with all this stuff?

FREAKING AWESOME!!

People helping another person out: check

That person in turn doing something nice for other people: check

Scumbag thief caught: check

Putting a smile on some sick kids faces: check

This is the kind of stuff makes me have hope for mankind. What a great ending for this story. :applause:

:cloud9:

4e9609369e3d8_image.jpg

"Left, Mike Meyer (left) reads off a Bingo card with Keith Howard dressed as Superman during Bingo in the Childlife Playroom at St. Louis Children's Hospital on Oct. 12, 2011. Meyer donated Superman memorabilia that was given to him after his Superman collection was stolen."

I wanted to reopen this thread because I just received a thank you card from Mike. I had as many others sent some Superman books to him after his loss. I thought this was very nice to send a hand written note with a Superman image on the reverse. I had not enclosed my address inside the package of comics that I sent so he must have saved the package to get the return address. Many would have just thrown that away.

Never met Mike Meyer nor had any other contact with him but this gives me even more respect for the man.

Great story guys, thanks for sharing it. Only a low life piece of ****ing **** would take advantage of a mentally disabled man by "befriending" him and then robbing him like that.

Mike Meyer sounds like a class act, what a great guy. :thumbsup: Kudos to you guys who donated too, it speaks a lot about your character that you'd donate stuff after hearing his story. (worship)