• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 1

30 posts in this topic

Also, don't forget Superman 1 was the first comic book devoted to a single character superhero. It's a pretty important book.

Fixed.

lol What came first, Skippy's Own Book of Comics?

Yep. And, looking just at DC, the single character Mutt & Jeff 1 came out the same time as Superman 1.

Superman 1 is also not the first comic book devoted to a single superhero comprised of original material as it was reprints. I'm not sure what the first single superhero character all original comic book was -- maybe Superman 2?

Superman 1 has a few pages of new or re-worked material, but you're right, mostly it's reprints of the Superman stories from Action 1-4. Superman 3 has the Action 5-6 stories. I think Superman 2 consisted of newspaper strips re-worked to fit the comic book page.

Was the Skippy book newsstrip reprints?

I believe Skippy was newsstrip reprints. [so was Mutt & Jeff, I think.] Batman 1 was all original, did it come out before Superman started running all original material? Was there another all-original single superhero title before Batman 1?

Also, don't forget Superman 1 was the first comic book devoted to a single character superhero. It's a pretty important book.

Fixed.

lol What came first, Skippy's Own Book of Comics?

Yep. And, looking just at DC, the single character Mutt & Jeff 1 came out the same time as Superman 1.

Superman 1 is also not the first comic book devoted to a single superhero comprised of original material as it was reprints. I'm not sure what the first single superhero character all original comic book was -- maybe Superman 2?

Superman 1 has a few pages of new or re-worked material, but you're right, mostly it's reprints of the Superman stories from Action 1-4. Superman 3 has the Action 5-6 stories. I think Superman 2 consisted of newspaper strips re-worked to fit the comic book page.

Was the Skippy book newsstrip reprints?

I believe Skippy was newsstrip reprints. [so was Mutt & Jeff, I think.] Batman 1 was all original, did it come out before Superman started running all original material? Was there another all-original single superhero title before Batman 1?

Skippy and some other single-character books (Detective Dan, Red Eagle etc) were not superheroes.

It looks like Batman 1 (Spring 1940) is the best candidate for all original superhero material. Superman 1, 2 and 3 were daily strip reprint and Superman 4 (Spring 1940) was partial daily strip reprint. Wonder and Amazing Man were not single-character content books.

Based on the premise laid out in the beginning, this feels like a comics general thread. I get that all three books are GA... but it feels kind of comics general.

Snob :sumo:

lol Okay, fair enough. It's just not the sort of well thought out, educated discussion topic that I'm used to in GA. It's also kind of a ridiculous statement. I want this book but I don't like that it's more expensive than other books.

Does anyone really equate the importance of the first dedicated superhero comic(and also the most widely known by far) to Captain America 1 or even Bat-man 1? To say nothing of that fact that it's widely known to be scarce and even scarcer in high grade? I'm not even really a big fan of Superman comics, but it's pretty obvious why Superman 1 is so much more popular and in demand.

But yes, I am being kind of snobby today. Thanks for the reality check, Scrooge. ;)

To be fair to the OP, it took me a while to understand as well why Supes commands such a price. I've always come at the issue from the: "But, it's a reprint" side of the equation and did discount it as less important. Then, after hanging out around here, did I start to understand the significance and scarcity.

Still, like the OP, I sure wish these books were more affordable, I'd love to own a Cap # 1 ...

Still, like the OP, I sure wish these books were more affordable, I'd love to own a Cap # 1 ...

So would most of us :)

But hey, aren't Batman #1, Superman #1, and Action #1 affordable after today's releases?

:jokealert:

So would most of us :)

But hey, aren't Batman #1, Superman #1, and Action #1 affordable after today's releases?

:jokealert:

Can't beat restored prices (thumbs u

Does anyone know the print runs of Batman #1 and Captain America #1?

I've read that all three printings of Superman #1 added up to 900,000 copies, which seems like a lot, but I suppose the Bats and Cap runs might even have been higher given the exploding popularity of Superhero books in 1940/41.

I wouldn't read too much into the census numbers for deducing comparative scarcity.

Action #1 had a print run of 200,000 with sales of approximately 130,000, but has 50 graded copies compared to Supe's 91. It's possible that the survival rate for Action #1 was 2 to 3 ties higher than Superman #1 in relation to sales, but I'm not convinced that even with high dollar, high profile books that the census is a thoroughly accurate measure of relative scarcity.

One can argue the fine points of what specifically Superman #1 was a first of, but it was clearly a game changer in that publishers realized that a character original to comic books could succeed wildly outside an anthology format.