• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this make sense to anyone else? Comic Shop To Boycott Action Comics

140 posts in this topic

This week, DC Comics published a new first issue of Action Comics, the series that introduced Superman to the world back in the nineteen thirties.

In doing so, writer Grant Morrison, who had already written the insanely successful All Star Superman comic, took the character back to his original roots. Reinvented as a social crusader, targeting big businesses that exploit their workers, the comic instantly sold out, expected to be the best selling comic in September, and has received critical acclaim from all sides.

Almost all sides.

One comic shop is North Carolina, The Comics Conspiracy, has decided enough is enough. Because of this panel.

To see panel and the full story...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/08/north-carolina-comic-shop-to-boycott-action-comics/

This guy is a real Maroon! doh!

This is a problem for the guy yet he'll still carry books like ''The Boys''?

:screwy:

And Supes doesn't even say Go**amn he just grunts ''gd''.

This week, DC Comics published a new first issue of Action Comics, the series that introduced Superman to the world back in the nineteen thirties.

In doing so, writer Grant Morrison, who had already written the insanely successful All Star Superman comic, took the character back to his original roots. Reinvented as a social crusader, targeting big businesses that exploit their workers, the comic instantly sold out, expected to be the best selling comic in September, and has received critical acclaim from all sides.

Almost all sides.

One comic shop is North Carolina, The Comics Conspiracy, has decided enough is enough. Because of this panel.

To see panel and the full story...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/08/north-carolina-comic-shop-to-boycott-action-comics/

This guy is a real Maroon! doh!

This is a problem for the guy yet he'll still carry books like ''The Boys''?

And Supes doesn't even say Go**amn he just grunts ''gd''.

Dude needs to grow up...

How does anyone get "" out of that panel? It looks to me more like a phonetic representation of getting the wind knocked out of you.

The guy might have a point if Superman had actually cursed...but that's clearly not the case.

I can't see what the big fuss is about. It makes him seem more human, less alien / Kryptonian. I'm sure people raised in the Midwest use expletives 'occasionally'? (shrug)

It's funny -- when I first saw this (before I read the article), I figured that the reason that a comic shop owner would boycott this book is because DC decided to reboot a title as iconic as Action Comics. Now that would be a boycott I could get behind!

It's a shame that DC finally caved to the premier issue "Heroes Reborn" mentality and shut down their long running numerical series... Marvel eventually reconsidered this decision (and reestablished their original numbering) and I expect DC will eventually do the same.

I'm more offended that people are offended than that he's offended, but I shouldn't be offended because everyone is allowed to be offended except the guy in the news story who is offended.