• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should EBay Start Reinstating Old IDs?

21 posts in this topic

Awhile back, I wanted to use the EBay ID, theprofessional, but found it was used. I tried a few more variations, along with some other nicks, but nada. I was forced to adlib a bit, but when I looked some of them up, I found stuff like this:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=theprofessional&sort=3&rows=25&since=-1&rd=1

IDs that hadn't been used since the late-90's, yet still active. At some point I hope EBay starts releasing these again, as there are a ton of cool ones taken by Zero Feedback bidders who haven't been active since EBay first started. foreheadslap.gif

I know exactly what you mean.

They should at least do it for ID's that have been NARU'd for a while.

I've been wanting this ID for several years, and it's been tied up in NARU since '99.

Link

Have you ever tried sending them an email and asking them to release the ID?

I wonder if they would. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

but if you reuse someones old ID, wouldnt you also inherit all their history, thats is, anyone who remembers that ID will not know its you and not them....

Not if it's zero feedback & no activity.

but if you reuse someones old ID, wouldnt you also inherit all their history, thats is, anyone who remembers that ID will not know its you and not them....

Actually, this happens all the time, and if an EBay user voluntarily changes their ID, let's say from MENOPAY to HAVENOMONEY, then MENOPAY becomes active again after 30 days.

This guy could be the biggest chump in the world, and there is no warning if you choose this ID later on. Of course, you don't have to worry about a Blocked Bidder list, as this is tied to your numeric ID, which is why ID-changers can't escape just by switching Names every month.

When you sign up for EBay, you get an specific ID for tracking, and the EBay name is just the Window Dressing.

What we really have here is just pure laziness, as it's easier for EBay to do nothing, than actually write a program to reinstate inactive Account Names.

What we really have here is just pure laziness, as it's easier for EBay to do nothing, than actually write a program to reinstate inactive Account Names.

You've got that right!

There has been a proponent of "user ID clean-up" in the Vendio eBay forums for quite a while. The suggestion has been sent to eBay for almost a year. No response.

For the most part, "data cleaning" is something that needs to be addressed before a system is built. If you do it after the fact, it will inevitably break something.

And with all of the "enhancements" eBay has introduced in the past few months - that have caused endless greif for sellers and buyers - I'm not so sure that they are capable of doing this correctly.

Larry