• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clink Sept Auction buys- have them home by the holidays!

165 posts in this topic

:news: CGC makes mistakes sometimes...

If any of you were in the last grading contest, you'd remember that a lot of people had the same kinds of comments (OMG, I can't believe how many spine stresses that 9.4 has!), meanwhile in hand the books often looked different.

You guys need to keep this in perspective. We're all looking at a scan, not the book in hand.

And there is no way that 9.0 is a 7.0.

...I never said 7.0,..I said 7.5/8.0

It's useless to try and grade accurately from a scan. Books can look worse and better, depending on the colours and how it scans.

did the buyer have it hand prior to purchase?

If any of you were in the last grading contest, you'd remember that a lot of people had the same kinds of comments (OMG, I can't believe how many spine stresses that 9.4 has!), meanwhile in hand the books often looked different.

You guys need to keep this in perspective. We're all looking at a scan, not the book in hand.

...I never said 7.0,..I said 7.5/8.0

It's useless to try and grade accurately from a scan. Books can look worse and better, depending on the colours and how it scans.

did the buyer have it hand prior to purchase?

That depends on which buyer you are asking about?

:insane:

There's no way it's a 9.0 either.

..And I did say more like a 7.0.

Yes, scans are not like having the book in hand.

But, I'm sure the tics don't disappear when the book is in hand...

Hypothetically, if you were told you won a 9.0 book sight unseen, who here would be happy upon receiving the one in question?

Be honest. Hands.

There's no way it's a 9.0 either.

..And I did say more like a 7.0.

Yes, scans are not like having the book in hand.

But, I'm sure the tics don't disappear when the book is in hand...

Hypothetically, if you were told you won a 9.0 book sight unseen, who here would be happy upon receiving the one in question?

Be honest. Hands.

If I was selling it raw I wouldn't grade the book a 9.0 based on what I see but again, you are assuming it looks like that in hand.

Didn't win. Bid on only 1 book and not willing to pay more. I caved in and bid a little more than I wanted to over my $25k budget. Lost the 8.5 JIM 83. Jumped last minute. Oh well. Came in 2nd. Only if the seller was here on boards and sold to me on my WTB list. Would have saved $2675 in fees. Seller would have netted $1k more selling to me. My frustration. :(

If any of you have 6.5/7.0 with that appeals please sell them to me now. Look at the gloss,corners, and structure of that book. Obviously, the only thing really holding it down are the CB stresses. I definitely could see this book getting a 8.5/9.0(depending on the grading season and the appeal of the rest of the book) if it were raw and heading to be subbed.

...then please send me your name and address and every time I get a book with 9,...yes count them 9 color breaking stress lines on the spine I will sell them to you as a 9.0,...I don't care if the rest of this book kneels down and gives me head, you can't give a book with 9 frickin color beaking lines on the spine a 9.0

By the way, if anyone knows where I can get a book that does what this gentleman suggests, then please point me in that direction. I am in the market for one.

The book that keeps on giving! :devil:

Anyone know the lucky person that snagged this beaut???

st158.jpg

I really, REALLY wanted that dang book (although apparently not as much as someone else!!). I play BBall on Thursday night so i had to put my bid in early. Theres never been a 9.8 sale so i had no clue whatsoever what to bid. I thought i put in a pretty over the top bid but it wasnt to be :cry:

Congrats to whoever did get that sweet, SWEET book! (worship):applause:(worship)

WAYYYYYYY bummed about missing that ST158 but i did manage to win these :cloud9:

St137.jpg

ST147.jpg

TTA83.jpg

TTA91.jpg

And last, one for my son. His ALL-TIME personal grail, the 1st appearance of the massively popular M.O.D.O.K!!!! lol

TOS94.jpg

Thank you!

I've definitely caught the Pedigree bug the last couple months :eek:

Luckily, for whatever reason, most Pedigree books(unless the are monster keys or uber HG) have been going for pretty reasonable prices lately. Probably because of all the new Peds that hit the market this year but ive definitely been finding some good deals on Pedigrees. I probably did overpay a little bit for those Strange Tales though :blush:

"We should not forget a couple of key points:

1) Scans often highlight the defects due the the light."

IMHO, especially spine stress marks. They shine like an incendiary device at times. I have a handful of 9.4s (obviously, the majority of them are darker covers) that upon looking at their scans - you would wonder what the grader was smoking that day. But in hand, the tics are magically dilluted or disappear all together.

(they book in question, got a very nice grade)

Case in point. Here is one of my 9.4s I'm talking about.

Now granted, I'm showing you a dark cover compared to the book in question. But there is some green, kinda similar with a two tics in it.

The The scan (a very high res scan) makes this book look like one of my past DD #7 9.2s due to the spine stressers and corners looking like beacons. But in hand......poof!!

Nature of the scanning beast.

DD7cgc94oww50p.jpg

Good god!!! Where did you get that piece of ?!?

How in the hell did that get a 9.4?!? I have 4.0's that put that crappo book to shame!

lol:jokealert:

+1

I agree 100%. The GL may be a tad over graded but id bet if you got it in hand you wouldn't think it was some over graded, piece of 7.0 book.

Thank you!

I've definitely caught the Pedigree bug the last couple months :eek:

Luckily, for whatever reason, most Pedigree books(unless the are monster keys or uber HG) have been going for pretty reasonable prices lately. Probably because of all the new Peds that hit the market this year but ive definitely been finding some good deals on Pedigrees. I probably did overpay a little bit for those Strange Tales though :blush:

(thumbs u

It's a good thing and as you said a good time to buy.

Hey, those STs are nice!

Too bad pedigrees usually are way out of my price range. :cry: