• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clink Sept Auction buys- have them home by the holidays!

165 posts in this topic

...Did anyone here buy the Green Lantern #76 9.0?......I just cant believe the grade on that book...look at the color breaks on that spine,...it's horrible,...I have 6.0's that look better than that,...

RAD937342011825_17216.jpg

No you don't. :screwy:

Book is a solid 8.5 or 9.0.

+1

Other than a couple books that have pristine covers but maybe a hidden defect or back cover issue, you do NOT have 6.0's that look better than that book. It may be over graded a tad but that does NOT look like 99.9% of the 6.0-7.0's that ive ever seen (thumbs u

...don't put words in my mouth,...I did not say it looked better than 99.9% of 6.0-7.0's,...I said I've had 6.0's and 7.0's that look better than that book,... THAT MAY NOT BE AS STRUCTURALLY SOUND as that book,..but with much better eye appeal,...

...Did anyone here buy the Green Lantern #76 9.0?......I just cant believe the grade on that book...look at the color breaks on that spine,...it's horrible,...I have 6.0's that look better than that,...

+1

Other than a couple books that have pristine covers but maybe a hidden defect or back cover issue, you do NOT have 6.0's that look better than that book. It may be over graded a tad but that does NOT look like 99.9% of the 6.0-7.0's that ive ever seen (thumbs u

...don't put words in my mouth,...I did not say it looked better than 99.9% of 6.0-7.0's,...I said I've had 6.0's and 7.0's that look better than that book,... THAT MAY NOT BE AS STRUCTURALLY SOUND as that book,..but with much better eye appeal,...

Wow. No way that book is a 9.0.

7.0 is more like it.

+1

Dude, take a couple deep breaths and try reading what i wrote (thumbs u

How the hell am i putting words in your mouth? You said you have multiple 6.0's that look better than that book and i said unless they have a hidden defect or back cover problem, a 6.0 will NOT look better than that book.

I'd like to see scans of multiple 6.0's that look better than that book because i can count on 1 hand how many ive ever seen.

+1

7.0 is more like it.

You guys are off your freaking rocker if you think that is a 7.0! :screwy:

Just off the 1st page of the clink auction they have this 7.0

ST86.jpg

You're saying the GL76 is comparable to the ST86?!? No way!

The ST86 looks like 99% of the 7.0's i see. The GL 87 looks like 99% of the 8.5-9.0 books i see (thumbs u

+1

7.0 is more like it.

We should not forget a couple of key points:

1) Scans often highlight the defects due the the light.

2) A grade an average numerical representation of the entire book. CGC often gives such grades if the rest of the book is essentially flawless. I've seen this case many times. Recently, there was a debate about a bats 227.

3) Don't we need a back scan before we hammer the given grade? (shrug)

If any of you have 6.5/7.0 with that similar appeal please sell them to me now. Look at the gloss,corners, and structure of that book. Obviously, the only thing really holding it down are the CB stresses. I definitely could see this book getting a 8.5/9.0(depending on the grading season and the appeal of the rest of the book) if it were raw and heading to be subbed.

If any of you have 6.5/7.0 with that appeals please sell them to me now. Look at the gloss,corners, and structure of that book. Obviously, the only thing really holding it down are the CB stresses. I definitely could see this book getting a 8.5/9.0(depending on the grading season and the appeal of the rest of the book) if it were raw and heading to be subbed.

...then please send me your name and address and every time I get a book with 9,...yes count them 9 color breaking stress lines on the spine I will sell them to you as a 9.0,...I don't care if the rest of this book kneels down and gives me head, you can't give a book with 9 frickin color beaking lines on the spine a 9.0

If any of you have 6.5/7.0 with that appeals please sell them to me now. Look at the gloss,corners, and structure of that book. Obviously, the only thing really holding it down are the CB stresses. I definitely could see this book getting a 8.5/9.0(depending on the grading season and the appeal of the rest of the book) if it were raw and heading to be subbed.

...then please send me your name and address and every time I get a book with 9,...yes count them 9 color breaking stress lines on the spine I will sell them to you as a 9.0,...I don't care if the rest of this book kneels down and gives me head, you can't give a book with 9 frickin color beaking lines on the spine a 9.0

By the way, if anyone knows where I can get a book that does what this gentleman suggests, then please point me in that direction. I am in the market for one.

By the way, if anyone knows where I can get a book that does what this gentlemen suggests, then please point me in that direction. I am in the market for one.

i agree with most of this besides "gentlemen"

By the way, if anyone knows where I can get a book that does what this gentlemen suggests, then please point me in that direction. I am in the market for one.

...yeah that kind of threw me off balance too,... ;)

+1

7.0 is more like it.

You guys are off your freaking rocker if you think that is a 7.0! :screwy:

Just off the 1st page of the clink auction they have this 7.0

ST86.jpg

You're saying the GL76 is comparable to the ST86?!? No way!

The ST86 looks like 99% of the 7.0's i see. The GL 87 looks like 99% of the 8.5-9.0 books i see (thumbs u

Looks like there might be fewer spine tics on that 7.0.

Yes, it appears not as glossy and not as well centered...

I would not buy that book as a 9.0.

No book in my collection VF or better has that many spine tics on it, and so pronounced.

:news: CGC makes mistakes sometimes...

...yeah that kind of threw me off balance too,... ;)

Ah, yes. I meant "gentleman". You disagree? I was only trying to be nice. ;)

If any of you were in the last grading contest, you'd remember that a lot of people had the same kinds of comments (OMG, I can't believe how many spine stresses that 9.4 has!), meanwhile in hand the books often looked different.

You guys need to keep this in perspective. We're all looking at a scan, not the book in hand.

And there is no way that 9.0 is a 7.0.

I would not buy that book as a 9.0.

No book in my collection VF or better has that many spine tics on it, and so pronounced.

...plus no one even mentioned the big honking black smootz over the "n" in the word "new",...are we supposed to overlook that for the gloss too?

If any of you were in the last grading contest, you'd remember that a lot of people had the same kinds of comments (OMG, I can't believe how many spine stresses that 9.4 has!), meanwhile in hand the books often looked different.

You guys need to keep this in perspective. We're all looking at a scan, not the book in hand.

...I never said 7.0,..I said 7.5/8.0

...I never said 7.0,..I said 7.5/8.0

It's useless to try and grade accurately from a scan. Books can look worse and better, depending on the colours and how it scans.

Sigh. :makepoint:

It definitely isn't an ideal 9.0. I would pass and wait for a better purchase.

My point is, in any case, we should take in account that there to the book then meets the eye.

Did you see the thread about Cerberus the Aardvark? It was a similar case.

:golfclap:

My point precisely.