• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To buy or not to buy...

14 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I live right near the antique capital of the world, Adamstown, PA. As a result, I get to see lots of great antiques and collectibles every weekend. I am a collector and 'picker' at heart. That being said, while at an Antique Mall this past weekend, I encountered a copy of Hulk #1. It was sitting in a very humid, non-climate controlled environment; not well protected, which shocked me. The buyer wants 'around' $3,000 for this comic. Now I have no idea what to do, as I know very little on grading. I offered to pay all grading fees and if the comic comes back from CGC unrestored and at a decent grade, I would offer to buy the comic at a fair price. The buyer refused, which again, shocked me...

The antique dealer did state that this comic was hs son's. This is not uncommon to hear in this area, as a lot of antiques and collectibles are held in families and passed between them. I am looking fir advice. What is a low grade copy of Hulk 1 worth, assuming it is unrestored? I wish I could describe it better, or post a scan, but I was barely allowed to handle the comic...

Any advice...?

Please be respectful, as I am a newbie...and I normally only collect CGC graded comics. I have little experience in this area. Thank you for any and all constructive advice.

Sincerely,

'mint'

Big books mean big differences in value for small differences in condition.

Perhaps you might wish to visit the Heritage Auctions Archives (HA.com) and save scans of the book in different states and the prices they realised. This might allow you to better judge the condition of the book you are interested in.

and I normally only collect CGC graded comics. I have little experience in this area. Thank you for any and all constructive advice.

You should walk away.

$3k is a lot of money and if you can't be confident of your ability to grade and verify that it is not color-touched, trimmed or otherwise restored then you should only buy CGC books.

and I normally only collect CGC graded comics. I have little experience in this area. Thank you for any and all constructive advice.

You should walk away.

$3k is a lot of money and if you can't be confident of your ability to grade and verify that it is not color-touched, trimmed or otherwise restored then you should only buy CGC books.

Wiser words could not be said. :applause:

I am more of a high grade chaser...er, collector. Therefore, I would be buying it to flip. I thank you for the advice, but I don't know if this is 3.5 or not. Guess I need to study the Overstreet Grading Guide some more...

Can 't believe the seller won't work with me at all, however, I am starting to wonder why this book hasn't sold yet...

I am more of a high grade chaser...er, collector. Therefore, I would be buying it to flip. I thank you for the advice, but I don't know if this is 3.5 or not. Guess I need to study the Overstreet Grading Guide some more...

Can 't believe the seller won't work with me at all, however, I am starting to wonder why this book hasn't sold yet...

Bingo! Your spidey sense is tingling. :cool:

If you are not sure what a VG should look like or how to spot basic restoration, you should probably not risk $3K unless you can really afford to loose it. Perhaps if you can do a little more research to see that perhaps the book looks more like a Fine? If so, you should at least look inside the cover for color touch bleed through and probably check out the "how to spot restoration" forum on this CGC board for other hints. Just remember, if you are unsure about grading and restoration, you might be taking as much risk as putting $3K down on black in Vegas. :gossip:

Hello all,

I live right near the antique capital of the world, Adamstown, PA. As a result, I get to see lots of great antiques and collectibles every weekend. I am a collector and 'picker' at heart. That being said, while at an Antique Mall this past weekend, I encountered a copy of Hulk #1. It was sitting in a very humid, non-climate controlled environment; not well protected, which shocked me. The buyer wants 'around' $3,000 for this comic. Now I have no idea what to do, as I know very little on grading. I offered to pay all grading fees and if the comic comes back from CGC unrestored and at a decent grade, I would offer to buy the comic at a fair price. The buyer refused, which again, shocked me...

The antique dealer did state that this comic was hs son's. This is not uncommon to hear in this area, as a lot of antiques and collectibles are held in families and passed between them. I am looking fir advice. What is a low grade copy of Hulk 1 worth, assuming it is unrestored? I wish I could describe it better, or post a scan, but I was barely allowed to handle the comic...

Any advice...?

Please be respectful, as I am a newbie...and I normally only collect CGC graded comics. I have little experience in this area. Thank you for any and all constructive advice.

Sincerely,

'mint'

I've been going to Adamstown for over 25 years, and although the comic deals aren't as great as they used to be, sometimes deals can be found.

However, that Hulk 1 has been sitting there for at least two years. It's just another case of a non-comic old-timer thinking he has something worth much more than it really is. The book is a 2.0 if I remember correctly. There's nothing anyone can tell that guy that will make him believe he's asking too much. He'll probably still have it in another few years.

It's just another case of a non-comic old-timer thinking he has something worth much more than it really is.

That's a very common scenario. Everybody thinks they've lucked into a treasure because of TV shows such as Antique Roadshow or because they can read price guides, but they can't grade.

:eyeroll:

Would you spend $3k on a used car where the seller wouldn't let you have a mechanic look at it?

This is a good point. The problem is though that a lot of sellers (especially 'old school antique dealers') are very overprotective of their items. This happens even more if they have an emotional attachment to the items at hand.

Why this seller doesn't just CGC the book and sell it is anyone's guess, but just from talking to him I know he doesn't understand the market or anything about comic books. How else can you justify leaving a book like that in this horrid conditions (I.e. high humidity)?