• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Version of Classics Illustrated

37 posts in this topic

Dark Tower - Stephen King

Neuromancer - William Gibsonn (there was a graphic novel, and well.. the Matrix on film)

Snow Crash/Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson

Most of Phillip K. works (many of which have been on film)

1984 - George Orwell

Foucault's Pendulum -- Umberto Eco

Thanks for reminding me...I've been meaning to read that for a long time.

Good luck. I have tried a number of times to get through it and have failed. I cannot believe the same author wrote "In the Name of the Rose" which was great.

Foucalt's Pendulum was very, very difficult to get through. I wish I could say it was worth it.

It was a pretentious version of The Davinci Code.

I LOVE Eco's book of essays on literature, and he seems a fine fellow.

I'm not nearly the literati that his usual readers are.

I've heard that it's a difficult read...I think that's why I've put it off for so long. But it's one of those books that so many others have read that I feel I should subject myself to it so I can at least formulate an opinion.

Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury

The Body - Stephen King

Dune - Frank Herbert

A Scanner Darkly - Philip K.

I believe I saw an adaptation of this at Borders before it closed. There are a few of his books in graphic novel format.

Really? I'll look for that. It's one of my all-time favorites, and one of the few that have held up from childhood to adulthood that I repeatedly read every few years (usually around Halloween). Stephen King mentions it in his Danse Macabre (I think that's the name) as being beautifully written, but that sometimes the prose seems a little too poetic and overbearing. Probably right, but I love it anyway.

When I was president of Classics International Entertainment in the mid-90s, we considered publishing a line of modern classics. The major problem was the cost of the rights. When you added the cost of big-time talent it was cost prohibitive based on sales projections.

We had approached a librarian's group to give us a list of "modern" classics and many were indeed from the 30's thru 50's. To Kill A Mockingbird, This Good Earth, etc.

The most profitable books we published were old Gilberton reprints!

Foucalt's Pendulum was very, very difficult to get through. I wish I could say it was worth it.

That's funny because I often say the opposite---that Da Vinci Code is just a dumbed down version of Foucalt's pendulum. hm

I just looked this quote up.

I have always recalled it as 'wolves cull their own' but here is the real thing per Wiki --

'Wolves cull themselves, man.'

That's funny because I often say the opposite---that Da Vinci Code is just a dumbed down version of Foucalt's pendulum. hm

Inversely true!

Haven't read that.

Read Foucault's. And the aforementioned book of essays. And saw the movie, "In the Name of the Rose" which was great.

Do you have any suggestions for South American Magical Realism authors?

Neuromancer - William Gibsonn (there was a graphic novel, and well.. the Matrix on film)

1984 - George Orwell

Good luck. I have tried a number of times to get through it and have failed. I cannot believe the same author wrote "In the Name of the Rose" which was great.

I've heard that it's a difficult read...I think that's why I've put it off for so long. But it's one of those books that so many others have read that I feel I should subject myself to it so I can at least formulate an opinion.

Ugh. I'm assuming it's referring to Michel Foucault? No thanks. He is NOT an easy read. If you're ever in the mood to mentally punish yourself, try "The Order of Things." Simply atrocious. :sick:

1984 - George Orwell

Ugh. I'm assuming it's referring to Michel Foucault? No thanks. He is NOT an easy read. If you're ever in the mood to mentally punish yourself, try "The Order of Things." Simply atrocious. :sick:

I looked it up. Yeah, that sounds like a really tough read. I like the premise of the book though. But the original reference was to Umberto Eco's book.