• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Version of Classics Illustrated

37 posts in this topic

I'm not sure how the original Classics worked out rights... most of what they published was public domain, but there were a few exceptions (Ox-Bow Incident, etc.). And there was one movie tie-in (Buccaneer).

I suspect if such a thing were resurrected, they would concentrate on early to mid 20th-century works whose rights might be cheaper... Hemingway, Steinbeck, Faulkner, Fitzgerald, Orwell, Chandler, Hammett, the Plumly-Thompsons, Christie, Stout, Asimov, etc. etc.

On the other hand, I doubt if much of that is being taught in high schools anymore... which was Classics' bread and butter. HS reading is probably focused on contemporary writing, whose rights would be more expensive.

The other trick would be obtaining good solid artists, but ones who weren't too idiosyncractic or flamboyant to overshadow the story-telling.

Dark Tower - Stephen King

Neuromancer - William Gibsonn (there was a graphic novel, and well.. the Matrix on film)

Snow Crash/Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson

Most of Phillip K. works (many of which have been on film)

1984 - George Orwell

Foucault's Pendulum -- Umberto Eco

Thanks for reminding me...I've been meaning to read that for a long time.

On another note to the Mods--

Isn't is about time a certain word was dropped from the language filter? Yeah... some might abuse it, but they can be suspended accordingly.

It seems a bit nasty that some of the world's major talents or famous characters must have their names shredded for the sake or trying to curb infantile behavior.

It's annoying enough in comics with:

Sprang

Tracy

Grayson

Cole

Giordano

and speaking of Classics --

Moby

Add to that references outside of the comics world and it becomes even worse--

Philip K.

Van Dyke

York

Miller

Powell

Andy

Francis

etc. etc.

Just saying...

On another note to the Mods--

Isn't is about time a certain word was dropped from the language filter? Yeah... some might abuse it, but they can be suspended accordingly.

It seems a bit nasty that some of the world's major talents or famous characters must have their names shredded for the sake or trying to curb infantile behavior.

It's annoying enough in comics with:

Sprang

Tracy

Grayson

Cole

Giordano

and speaking of Classics --

Moby

Add to that references outside of the comics world and it becomes even worse--

Philip K.

Van Dyke

York

Miller

Powell

Andy

Francis

etc. etc.

Just saying...

I'm not sure, but you might have broke the record of the most 's in one post.

Neuromancer - William Gibsonn (there was a graphic novel, and well.. the Matrix on film)

1984 - George Orwell

Good luck. I have tried a number of times to get through it and have failed. I cannot believe the same author wrote "In the Name of the Rose" which was great.

Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury

The Body - Stephen King

Dune - Frank Herbert

A Scanner Darkly - Philip K.

I believe I saw an adaptation of this at Borders before it closed. There are a few of his books in graphic novel format.

1984 - George Orwell

Good luck. I have tried a number of times to get through it and have failed. I cannot believe the same author wrote "In the Name of the Rose" which was great.

Foucalt's Pendulum was very, very difficult to get through. I wish I could say it was worth it.

It was a pretentious version of The Davinci Code.

I LOVE Eco's book of essays on literature, and he seems a fine fellow.

I'm not nearly the literati that his usual readers are.