• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote for your Favorite PCH Logo Design

102 posts in this topic

:gossip:what does PCH stand for (shrug)

Pre-Code Horror

doh! I should have been able to figure that out, but its an area of comics I have NO books in. Thx

when I saw the thread title I said to myself "Why is Scrooge posting about Pacific Coast Hockey"?

I'd vote for any of the ACG titles, but that more from my familiarity with them (but maybe I started collecting them because of the logos (shrug)

Menace is nice, and Tales From the Crypt is classic. They weren't even trying with Amazing Mysteries or Sensation.

:gossip:what does PCH stand for (shrug)

Pre-Code Horror

doh! I should have been able to figure that out, but its an area of comics I have NO books in. Thx

Then VOTE :sumo: I'd love to hear your take on these, given your fresh eyes on these books. :thumbsup:

I've seen em, but I consider them distasteful. I'm just not a horror, torture, bondage, shock, or macabre kind of guy. I especially don't like ......heh heh.... L.B. Cole (:

I've give em another look.... cuz you asked :popcorn:

Heres a little story that happened to me that kind of nudged me away from these kinds of books when I was sort of getting interested....

Back in the late 80's maybe early 90's I had come across a few issues of the ACG title called Forbidden Worlds and really liked the Ogden Whitney covers. I had picked up about 6 of em at a store in town and even though the title kind of bothered me..... "Exploring the Supernatural : Forbidden Worlds" ..... the art drew me in....

So at SDCC only a week or two later, I was at some booth or other looking through long boxes and came across some issues of Forbidden Worlds, when I heard this kind of deep husky voice, of a person standing near me say..... "oh, do you like forbidden worlds ? " .... and I look up and see this woman, who was not a woman at all, but some dude in a light blue dress, standing there. The guy was thick....almost strong looking. Not effiminate at all. I mean he wasn't fooling anyone. He had (and it must have been a wig) kind of straight long reddish hair. He looked like he was trying to impersonate Dorothy from the OZ movie. I was kind of shocked ... but tried to take it in stride and not be offensive to the....uh....person.

And as I stood there I could hear my inner Jiminey Cricket saying..... "this is where Forbidden Worlds will take you" ....

I put them back in the box and have steered clear of the whole genre ever since.

I've always been partial to The Thing with the art in the logo, as well as Blue Bolt Weird issues with both of the bats. But my favorite will always be Weird Science Fantasy, not for the logo itself so much as the ever-present rocket ship ascending on the right side of it.

Some dislike the fact that the cover images are smaller since they are confined to the lower right hand corner but the rocket on the WSF and ship on Piracy make the covers winners to me. (thumbs u

PIRACYlogo.jpg

So at SDCC only a week or two later, I was at some booth or other looking through long boxes and came across some issues of Forbidden Worlds, when I heard this kind of deep husky voice, of a person standing near me say..... "oh, do you like forbidden worlds ? " .... and I look up and see this woman, who was not a woman at all, but some dude in a light blue dress, standing there. The guy was thick....almost strong looking. Not effiminate at all. I mean he wasn't fooling anyone. He had (and it must have been a wig) kind of straight long reddish hair

Am I the only one who thinks that Mike simply ran into Michelle Nolan at the show? The description is right on the mark and you should have stopped and talked to her. She's always good for a long chat and could have informed you more on all kinds of PCH goodness. Michelle's knowledge of story content in these books is vast.

So at SDCC only a week or two later, I was at some booth or other looking through long boxes and came across some issues of Forbidden Worlds, when I heard this kind of deep husky voice, of a person standing near me say..... "oh, do you like forbidden worlds ? " .... and I look up and see this woman, who was not a woman at all, but some dude in a light blue dress, standing there. The guy was thick....almost strong looking. Not effiminate at all. I mean he wasn't fooling anyone. He had (and it must have been a wig) kind of straight long reddish hair

Am I the only one who thinks that Mike simply ran into Michelle Nolan at the show? The description is right on the mark and you should have stopped and talked to her. She's always good for a long chat and could have informed you more on all kinds of PCH goodness. Michelle's knowledge of story content in these books is vast.

\

As an almost entirely isolated collector my whole life (until I discovered the CGC boards), I would love to talk to Ms. Nolan. I loved all of her aritcles that I read in the Comic's Buyer's Guide and the Comic BOok Marketplace.