• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote for your Favorite PCH Logo Design

102 posts in this topic

Top 8 Horror Logos (based upon their design, not upon how much I may or may not like a title. That would be a different list.) Conveyed alphabetically.

Chamber Of Chills

Crypt Of Terror

Ghostly Weird

Horrific

Nightmare

Tales From The Crypt (prefect customized original typography & design example)

Tomb Of Terror

Weird Mysteries

I want you to send me in a PM your list of your Top 10 Favorite Logos. I will then assign your Top Choice 10 points, Second Choice 9 Points, etc ... and collate all responses and issue a Podium of the Top 10 Board Favorite PCH Logos.

If you don't feel like ranking a Top 10, you can simply send a Top 5 or a Top 3 though a Top 10 is appreciated :) I'll let this run for a bit to collect the information.

I notice that the instructions were to "PM scrooge a list of your top 10 "....... not list them here. No wonder the world is so effed up :baiting:

Did anybody vote for Chilling Tales yet? The ones with the Matt Fox covers? I love those!

The final tally, in my understanding, does not take into ANY account cover art or interior art. But rather is more of a critique of the use of typography as part of ONLY the logo design.

This has nothing to do with which may or may not be the greatest pre-code golden age horror title, but rather is focused specifically on the Logo.

It would also be interesting research to discover which individual may have actually developed these logos, some of which are recognized as brands. Maybe anonymous house artists, or maybe someone we who may already be known to us. The results will reflect which logos covey frightful-fear most effectively (within the confines of creative typography),

Another interesting factor to this thread is, shouldn't proper credit be given to any artist or graphic designer who designed some of these iconic logos? I mean the Logotype from Tales From The Crypt seems a legit part of modern pop-culture as much as the ghastly stories they contained. Of related thought, wouldn't it be great to know who actually designed some of our favorite logos in the Golden Age, like Teen-Age Romances, Pep Comics, Fox's Phantom Lady etc?

Are all golden age logos, an attempt at branding a specific title/product? The more popular the product, the more it's logo serves to represent it. This poll will reflect the degree of success the selected PC logos have in conveying actual, legible horror. Based upon the majority consensus from those that have taken the time to participate in it. Who's better to vote in such a poll than PC Golden Age Comic Book Collectors?

I wonder if I should resign my vote for 'Fight Against Crime'? Though it may be considered PC horror, doesn't the actual word 'Crime' decrease it's effectiveness in conveying horror?

If Fight Against Crime had less horror and more Crime in it's contests, then it would not have made this list, right? Because the word 'Crime' does suggest the contents being Crime related. So perhaps in this poll, I should not have given it further consideration no matter how I much I do in-fact like the type and design of it's logo. So I will go back now, and edit Fight Against Crime off my list. Better late than never.

:bump:

At long last, here are the results and I'd like to thank the 17 of you who voted in this thread :hail:

I'm disappointed and surprised that the EC's faired so poorly. Some sort of weird backlash perhaps?

At long last, here are the results and I'd like to thank the 17 of you who voted in this thread :hail:

I'm disappointed and surprised that the EC's faired so poorly. Some sort of weird backlash perhaps?

Good question... I think it may have to do with the endless reprinting of the material which has led pre-code horror fans like myself to skip collecting the originals. I have a bunch of non-EC pre-code books and maybe 2 ECs.

Thanks for putting all this together, Scrooge! (worship)

That was my thought. Perhaps we all take them for granted since we're so used to them as classics.

In the end, I don't think anyone can argue against ECs are the king of precode horror, sci-fi, and crime.