• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote for your Favorite PCH Logo Design

102 posts in this topic

Does anyone think the LOGOS I've posted are COOL ?

If not, then I won't POST any more.

Would love to hear some FEEDBACK ?

Not wanting to SOUND like a WHINY Bee-)Otch....but I really spent some SERIOUS time KNOCKING out some , pretty cool LOGOS (I think) .

But my favorite will always be Weird Science Fantasy, not for the logo itself so much as the ever-present rocket ship ascending on the right side of it.

Absolutely, 100% agree. For me, the organization and content of some of these covers is second to none. Even the logo change for 29 is really cool. The graphic quality of the letters and the style of the rocket ship, distinctly '50s... just awesome.

WdScFa_23_90_cropped.jpg

That's just an all-around great cover.

Does anyone think the LOGOS I've posted are COOL ?

I absolutely think they are cool. And this one in particular is timely for me...

witchcraftdoublelogo.jpg

...as I just got this...

witchcraft5.jpg

But my favorite will always be Weird Science Fantasy, not for the logo itself so much as the ever-present rocket ship ascending on the right side of it.

Absolutely, 100% agree. For me, the organization and content of some of these covers is second to none. Even the logo change for 29 is really cool. The graphic quality of the letters and the style of the rocket ship, distinctly '50s... just awesome.

WdScFa_23_90_cropped.jpg

Love it (thumbs u

And another...

wsf27.jpg

Top 3 (just from a standpoint of logo design) from the list on page 1:

The Thing (the illustration inside the letters is really wonderful and incredibly evocative)

Weird Tales of the Future (the shape of the letters for Weird is just that... weird, and a little disturbing followed by the small print qualifier- Tales of the Future. Nice heirarchy)

Witchcraft (simple and bone chilling, Nice graceful, dynamic arc that says somebody's up to no good)

:gossip:what does PCH stand for (shrug)

Pre-Code Horror

doh! I should have been able to figure that out, but its an area of comics I have NO books in. Thx

:gossip:what does PCH stand for (shrug)

Pre-Code Horror

doh! I should have been able to figure that out, but its an area of comics I have NO books in. Thx

Then VOTE :sumo: I'd love to hear your take on these, given your fresh eyes on these books. :thumbsup:

You people are maniacs.

They are all great designs in their own way. But here are a few I like.

I know that you had to draw the line somewhere, but if you were including one shots, I'd like the one posted here.

Wouldn't it be great to walk into a comic store and be able to get great comics like this today?

116183.jpg.b64790d04df518f2ba98ee19ab62570c.jpg

116184.jpg.3d9060ec97b3c3ed0a47a5ed14660ad7.jpg

Seeing all of these together reminded me of titles I'd forgotten about when making my earlier replies in the PCH thread and made this a far easier task. I chose to consider both the words in the title and the graphics as a complete package and how they best represent pre-code horror.

My list, top to bottom:

Weird Terror - You have "weird" in the title and dripping blood. Lots of dripping blood!

Tales from the Crypt

Menace

Beware Terror Tales

Adventures into the Unknown - Old school, but still cool

Looking through the scans made me think of the documentary "Helvetica". The history of typefaces is actually quite interesting and the movie adds a layer of historical context to examples from this period. Would recommend it if you have Netflix.

Looking through the scans made me think of the documentary "Helvetica". The history of typefaces is actually quite interesting and the movie adds a layer of historical context to examples from this period. Would recommend it if you have Netflix.

I watched that about 6 months ago (?). To me the best part of the documentary was towards the end when recent and cool uses of fonts by designers were showcased. Hard to explain in word but I agree, well worth the watch :thumbsup:

I watched Helvetica and a friend asked for my thoughts. My impression differed just slightly. :sorry:

How exciting do you think it would be to design a font? The answer to that question should help gauge your interest. Hint: For 99.99% of us, not very. Actually, I'm exaggerating as that would indicate that .01% are, which is much too high of a number.

It is ubiquitous as the world's most popular font and once you have been clubbed by text and signage, set to a peppy techno beat, during the first 5 min of the documentary you realize that that is the case and you will forever after be observing, "They used Helvetica for that." Or you may, in surprise, at some socially awkward moment exclaim "Pity they didn't use Helvetica for that!"

I'm awaiting the sequel on Zapf Chancery Italic (you actually meet Herr Zapf in the Helvetica film). Who knew he was still alive? And that Zapf was not some variety of Slovenian rutabaga or one of the architectural elements of a Gothic cathedral.

:shrug: I do have a high tolerance for boring and I live in a world of details ...

Is it exciting? No. Is it interesting? Yes. Would I watch it again? No. Was there some cool spots? Yes. Am I part of the .01%? :acclaim:

I watched Helvetica and a friend asked for my thoughts. My impression differed just slightly. :sorry:

How exciting do you think it would be to design a font? The answer to that question should help gauge your interest. Hint: For 99.99% of us, not very. Actually, I'm exaggerating as that would indicate that .01% are, which is much too high of a number.

It is ubiquitous as the world's most popular font and once you have been clubbed by text and signage, set to a peppy techno beat, during the first 5 min of the documentary you realize that that is the case and you will forever after be observing, "They used Helvetica for that." Or you may, in surprise, at some socially awkward moment exclaim "Pity they didn't use Helvetica for that!"

I'm awaiting the sequel on Zapf Chancery Italic (you actually meet Herr Zapf in the Helvetica film). Who knew he was still alive? And that Zapf was not some variety of Slovenian rutabaga or one of the architectural elements of a Gothic cathedral.

....what, no love for Benguiat Bold ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:shrug: I do have a high tolerance for boring and I live in a world of details ...

Is it exciting? No. Is it interesting? Yes. Would I watch it again? No. Was there some cool spots? Yes. Am I part of the .01%? :acclaim:

I have a high tolerance for documentaries in general and I did watch Helvetica from beginning to end but I just didn't feel that they really gave insight that I was hoping for.

I actually think there could be an interesting movie about a font as there are stories everywhere. For example, I just read a fascinating article by Malcolm Gladwell on the advertising of the two major hair color lines for women, which is not something I'd normally spend my time on but almost anything by Gladwell is worth a read.