• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does the Forum think about a Lawyer turning a collector away...

381 posts in this topic

Its warning other collectors away from him because you personally dont like him.

I don't really care, as I have no investment here other than the entertainment of this thread, but isn't that the very purpose of Cal's list that he would spout on about and actually have typed out in various threads over the years?

Including getting people banned for being shills when they actually weren't?

This isnt a matter of how you feel about Cal.Its warning other collectors away from him because you personally dont like him.

Im surprised that you of all people would take a swipe at Cal.

No, it is about paying it forward by letting a newbie know that the person someone else is telling him to do a deal with is, shall we say, quite prone to flying into raging rants with promises of revenge when someone displeases him. Or, to use my shorthand, "nuts."

It sounds like Cal has had a number of good dealings with people. I am sure his money is as green as anyone else's. But is it worth the potential headache that some aspect of the transaction may rub Cal the wrong way and turn into a life-long vendetta? I guess that depends on the individual. For me, it's an easy "no."

You shouldnt deal with him then.

How would you like it if someone said avoid ffb hes a laywer.Its the same thing.And yes you owe Cal an apology.

I'm not worried about what people say about me as a lawyer. My results speak for themselves.

And no, I don't owe Cal an apology.

If he had even taken the time to say something like "Cal is an odd duck around these parts sometimes but his money's good",

Instead, the intended phrasing makes it sound petty and personal and not an actual warning to anyone.

^^

I didn't find FFB's comment funny. It didn't appear to be a joke. It was simply out of line IMO.

And frankly, I'm fairly certain that just about everybody here with a reputation in good standing would be miffed if somebody said something like this about them.

Just to be clear - I wasn't trying to be funny and it wasn't a joke. I really do think Cal has a screw loose and for that reason, I would never deal with him. This is not an opinion I have formed lightly, and I ordinarily like odd ducks. (I live in San Francisco after all.)

Its warning other collectors away from him because you personally dont like him.

I don't really care, as I have no investment here other than the entertainment of this thread, but isn't that the very purpose of Cal's list that he would spout on about and actually have typed out in various threads over the years?

^^

Guess Cal doesn't like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Is this a competition? So let me get this straight, you have a low opinion of Cal and so you think its in your best interest to act like him.

I'm not sure winning is how I would describe this behavior. More like petty, juvenile, childish and inappropriate.

^^

Is this a competition? So let me get this straight, you have a low opinion of Cal and so you think its in your best interest to act like him.

I'm not sure winning is how I would describe this behavior. More like petty, juvenile, childish and inappropriate.

Thanks for your valued opinion! (thumbs u

If he had even taken the time to say something like "Cal is an odd duck around these parts sometimes but his money's good",

Instead, the intended phrasing makes it sound petty and personal and not an actual warning to anyone.

^^

I didn't find FFB's comment funny. It didn't appear to be a joke. It was simply out of line IMO.

And frankly, I'm fairly certain that just about everybody here with a reputation in good standing would be miffed if somebody said something like this about them.

Just to be clear - I wasn't trying to be funny and it wasn't a joke. I really do think Cal has a screw loose and for that reason, I would never deal with him. This is not an opinion I have formed lightly, and I ordinarily like odd ducks. (I live in San Francisco after all.)

Just to help frame discussion a bit, have you ever had a transaction with Cal?

^^

The difference is that Cal added each person to that list because of a specific, personal problem that he had with them.

You, on the other hand added Cal to someone else's list for them.

Your last explanation was in much better form than just posting that Cal is "nuts" out of left field. At the very least he's not painted as a dishonest buyer.

It sounds like Cal has had a number of good dealings with people. I am sure his money is as green as anyone else's. But is it worth the potential headache that some aspect of the transaction may rub Cal the wrong way and turn into a life-long vendetta? I guess that depends on the individual. For me, it's an easy "no."

Yes, you still owe Cal an apology for what you said in the other thread.

:grin:

^^

I understand that. Clearly you think he's a bit :screwy:. I just don't see why you would take it upon yourself to steer people away from dealing with him. It's one thing to to tell people not to deal with Robojo. It's another to say what you said about a fellow forum member who, at least with regards to board transactions, appears to be in good standing. (shrug)

If we all made a point of telling others not to deal with so and so based simply on our opinion that that person has a screw loose, we'd all be dealing with ourselves from now on.

^^

Just to help frame discussion a bit, have you ever had a transaction with Cal?

I can't remember, but probably not. His personality was, shall we say, pretty apparent right away when I started posting here.

My views on him have nothing to do with whether he grades accurately, ships promptly, pays on time, or any of that. He might do all of those things and I still would not want to deal with him. My views have everything to do with the fact that, in my experience, when you deal with people like Cal, there is little you can do to prevent them from spiraling out of control and making you miserable for some real or perceived slight.

Keep in mind that this multi-hundred-post thread wasn't something I created to make Cal's life miserable. I made one comment to a newbie in the resto forum and Cal is the one who decided to make this front page Comics General news by starting this thread and asking for all of your opinions.

Thanks for your valued opinion! (thumbs u

I'm not sure how valued it is.

Here's another opinion. You were wrong to say what you said. You owe the man an apology for what you said. You don't have to like it but it doesn't speak well of you.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't appreciate it if somebody started taking pot shots at you and telling noobs not to deal with you simply b/c they feel you display a petty and childish demeanor on the boards. I'm sure you also wouldn't take kindly to somebody jumping into a thread and telling people "don't deal with FFB, he's got a pizz poor memory and isn't an honest seller.....if you want more details....PM Pov"

I'm pretty sure you'd not appreciate comments like that.

Actually, I am a bit surprised that a lawyer would say something like this in an open forum. Is that slander or liable? hm

Libel. The printed word.

FFB thinks that I can't do anything about it, or won't.

Made a mistake.

CAL who needed to be perfect in real life to get to where he is today...

out of curiosity, can you prove whether you are or are not nuts?

My views on him have nothing to do with whether he grades accurately, ships promptly, pays on time, or any of that. He might do all of those things and I still would not want to deal with him. My views have everything to do with the fact that, in my experience, when you deal with people like Cal, there is little you can do to prevent them from spiraling out of control and making you miserable for some real or perceived slight.

Keep in mind that this multi-hundred-post thread wasn't something I created to make Cal's life miserable. I made one comment to a newbie in the resto forum and Cal is the one who decided to make this front page Comics General news by starting this thread and asking for all of your opinions.

You feel you have a right to tell others not to deal with Cal DESPITE not really having any legit basis for it. Ok, so he's screwy in your opinion. Do you not think that if you take the time to point that out to others, you ought to at least point out that he pays on time, ships on time, isn't on the probie list, seems to have a reputation in good standing? You're putting an opinion out there that can negatively impact Cal without providing an accurate picture.

You've also never dealt with Cal. But you've "dealt with people like him". HTF do you know what he's like to deal with if you haven't dealt with him personally? It's been my experience that despite any similarities, every person is different from every other person and i'm not sure how you could lump people together so easily, least of all somebody you've no personal experience dealing with.

Yes, you made one comment. Woe is you. Your comment was inappropriate and anybody would be well within their right to point out your comment to the rest of the board. IMO, this comment says a lot about you as a man " I made one comment to a newbie in the resto forum and Cal is the one who decided to make this front page Comics General news by starting this thread and asking for all of your opinions."

How about a little ownership of your own actions. Is this your typical MO? You insult somebody and then point your finger at them for being insulted? Be a man, own up to your mistakes. You shouldn't have said what you did without at least giving the noob a clearer picture.

Let me put it this way. There are a few individuals in the WC that I think are azzholes. These people all have good reputations though as far as dealing with. Would it be fair for me to tell some noob not to deal with them simply b/c I think they're azzholes? Is that a fair portrait to paint?

Guys, these responses should be in a PM.

Yep.

I disagree.

This became an open conversation when Scott called Cal nuts and told somebody not to deal with him.

If he had even taken the time to say something like "Cal is an odd duck around these parts sometimes but his money's good", which is what I would expect from someone who practices the legal word for a living it would have been an entirely different matter.

It's a shame how quickly things devolve around here.

There's going to be multiple perspectives here. That's just mine.

I was talking about the exchange between POV and FFB.

So was I, and my response was to one of them, Roy.

I know you both were and I disagree.

This was a pivotal statement by POV that segued into their current conversation:

My personal philosophy has been altered thanks to you.

Again:

There's going to be multiple perspectives here. That's just mine.

I have no clue what you're talking about. :baiting:

POV and FFB obviously have some personal history which this thread will not resolve. Not sure what this has to do with having "multiple perspectives".

out of curiosity, can you prove whether you are or are not nuts?

Can you? Could I? What standard should be set? I think it only fair to ask of yourself what you'd ask of someone else.

It's a question for Cal, not you or I. Please get off the soapbox and let the man answer.

I'm pretty effing nuts. I engage in arguments on a comic book message board about stuff that has nothing to do with comics.

It's a question for Cal, not you or I. Please get off the soapbox and let the man answer.

And how exactly is he supposed to answer?

You're just trolling.

Grow up.

You seem to be the only adult here. Do you charge for babysitting?

POV and FFB obviously have some personal history which this thread will not resolve. Not sure what this has to do with having "multiple perspectives".

POV, who I think is a pretty level headed, well experience, well rounded board member feels that his experience with FFB has something to add to the conversation.

I agree if POV came out with fists swinging that it should be kept in private, but if he feels that it relates to this conversation and FFB's behaviour then it might be beneficial.

I'm outta this thread.

I'm not trying to stir the pot.

;)