• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Con this weekend, need modern advice

21 posts in this topic

It's a small local con, and there's usually a large amount of unpicked boxes with occasional finds. I don't know from moderns, so I thought I'd ask you guys if you had recommendations of things to look for. From lurking, I know enough to look for any WD, Grimm's, Locke & Key and Chew but I'd love pointers on anything else I should keep an eye out for.

Of course, feel free to recommend any good reads since 1994 or so, too. I've got a lot to catch up on. :)

I'm looking for both-reading and flipping. I had just come back to the hobby when I went to this con last time, and there were a few books I missed out on (some early WD's and Grimm's) that I would have taken if I knew what I was doing.

I would read them, then flip them and buy something in focus, or supplies (my original collection is a mess), but I'd rather not see some high-dollar book on here I had a chance to pull from a $1 or 50 cent box if I can help it. Of course, it is a lesson to me to lurk more before the next con :)

The Hellboy stuff is some of the best, if you don't want to commit to the story lines just buy the one-shots or a mini called Baltimore: The Plague Ships (It's not Hellboy but it's in the same world).

You can also look for Y the last man and pretty much all Hellblazer stuff.

Reminds me I owe you guys a report and at least some pics of books. I should have some time this weekend. Sadly, I didn't find anything really new and stunning. But, I did find some really weird stuff that I've never seen before that looks interesting, so I'd call that a success (not from a flipping perspective, though).

Thanks for the advice, and stay tuned!

Finally got some pics together. Dealer was selling you-pick-em's for $110 a long box. I pulled out two boxes. These are some of the runs. The rest is random--let me know if you want to see the strange stuff. Here are the contents of one of my boxes:

Con_10_1.jpg

Con_10_2.jpg

Con_10_3.jpg

Con_10_4.jpg

Con_10_5.jpg

Con_10_6.jpg