• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would AF15 surpass Action 1?

24 posts in this topic

Supply and demand of course, but is the demand for Amazing Fantasy 15 higher than the grail of grails?

Census numbers show a total of 1071 CGC copies of Amazing Fantasy 15 (between Universal and SS).

For Action Comics 1 there is 28 total certified copies.

The price difference between the two becomes much more pronounced in the lower grades, and those are also grades where the bulk of AF 15's supply can be found.

No doubt Action 1 is the comic with much greater significance. Still, how would the prices compare if they both were equally scarce?

I don't think the highest graded Action 1 will ever be surpassed by the highest graded AF15. Remember, the two copies of Action 1 that sold for $1M and 1.5M respectively, aren't even the best known copies (Dentist copy). If the Dentist were to sell his copy today, it wouldn't surprise me if someone paid $5-8 mill for it.

Even if a 9.8 AF15 surfaced today, I don't think it would sniff the same amount of money as the Dentist's Action 1.

Man, hang around here long enough, everything really does repeat itself!

Last time we discussed this, after it turned ugly for a while ( :whee: ), someone made an awesome analogy:

Action 1 is like the debut of Elvis; AF 15 is like the debut of the Beatles.

Or something like that.

EDIT: It was mikeyriffhard, and I was close.

Well Nic Cage's recovered Action 1 is coming to auction soon - its a 9.0.

This will surely beat the 8.5 and leave the 9.6 AF15 way behind!

Who is selling it??? Probably Metro

Is the grade confirmed?

I would think that a for sure fixed price sale would do better than an auction format, maybe I am wrong

If a 9.8 AF 15 surfaced it would get exponentialy more than the 9.6. You couldnt even fathom the amount of money it would bring...I would say much more than 5 to 8 mil.

You might be right. Realistically, I feel it would go at a multiple of 3 or 4X the 9.6, which would be 3.3 - 4.4 mill.

The question may also be would someone have the guts (or stupidy !?) to get a 9.4 and then PRESS it in hopes that it becomes the lone 9.8 ?!!

I can see that as the only way a 9.8 could surface, can't imagine an original owner collection having a 9.6 or 9.8 anymore....

The question may also be would someone have the guts (or stupidy !?) to get a 9.4 and then PRESS it in hopes that it becomes the lone 9.8 ?!!

I can see that as the only way a 9.8 could surface, can't imagine an original owner collection having a 9.6 or 9.8 anymore....

Why would that be gutsy or stupid?

Because it could get damaged.

The demand for a copy of Action 1, at least from my perspective, is that it is simply out of reach and therefore I don't demand it at all. The Toyota Camery will always and forever out sell any Porsche of Lamborghini even though most would demand the later two.

I disagree. I'm sure there are at least a few OO's out there that have an unread or a once read copy. Why would they slab it unless they were to sell it?

In the next 10 years, I have a feeling there will be a few more 9.2's+ making their way to the census.

Because it could get damaged.

Is that a legitimate risk if you go to someone reputable?

Well Nic Cage's recovered Action 1 is coming to auction soon - its a 9.0.

This will surely beat the 8.5 and leave the 9.6 AF15 way behind!

Who is selling it??? Probably Metro

Is the grade confirmed?

I would think that a for sure fixed price sale would do better than an auction format, maybe I am wrong

i would be utterly shocked if this book was put in an auction. like the two Action #1's from last year, this sale will be to a private buyer and the world will find out the price when Metro announces it.

Another good "what if" question though is:

What if both comics came out on the same time and they are of almost equal scarcity today. Which would you value more? What would sell higher in your opinion?

Hard to say, really.

The origin of Superman is huge because he jump started the world of superheroes. It's arguably the one that started it all. His main powers are very rudimentary, and vanilla for a superhero. Super strength, durability and he can fly. When most people think of a superhero those are the things that come to mind.

Spider-man is also iconic and today he's way more popular than Superman.