• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase your Harvey comics here!
3 3

294 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

The great Warren Kremer, incredibly, drew most of the early covers for Harvey. The content was to teach children a sense of morality, a sense of right and wrong and lessons of friendship.

801774045_LITTLEAUDREY10.thumb.jpg.6c934a7433e6cf0703c38c8e3e35c6fd.jpg

That's weird Rick - two file copies!?

Capture.thumb.PNG.8d6d77a380fab80390eb6eec44b76831.PNG

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's weird Rick - two file copies!?

Capture.thumb.PNG.8d6d77a380fab80390eb6eec44b76831.PNG

Absolutely, the Harvey warehouse find back in the 80's had multiple copies of each issue from almost every title. Steve Geppi ,of Diamond Int. Dist., purchased and retailed these books for years. Here is a scan of the catalog and an example of one page of books being offered.

1096770759_HARVEYCATALOG.thumb.jpg.4d4cdf81300ecbf739a4fe68a84f5077.jpg

1652422842_HARVEYCAT2.thumb.jpg.7ecc957343c3a74314641cbacc7d4918.jpg

Just now, RICK STARR said:

Absolutely, the Harvey warehouse find back in the 80's had multiple copies of each issue from almost every title. Steve Geppi ,of Diamond Int. Dist., purchased and retailed these books for years. Here is a scan of the catalog and an example of one page of books being offered.

Cool, thanks Rick. 

This is one of my books that I've never listed for sale... hope I never do. I also like Casper, Little Lotta, Hot Stuff, Richie Rich, and, of course, Stumbo. Living here on the East Coast, I've seen a LOT of File Copies. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a mfriend of jesus)(thumbsu

WENDY 9 ... F ILE (2).jpg

On 4/20/2021 at 4:38 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I can't see a thread for SA Harvey on the boards anywhere. Is there one?

In the meantime, just a few examples from me to get started, all with a UK focus (that's where I'm based).

I have no recollection of seeing Harvey comics when I was a kid growing up. Maybe they were there in the shops and I wasn't interested - maybe they weren't. Regional perhaps. But I find them quite charming now that I have had cause to look into them via my UK distribution research.

There is an existing thread, though it hasn't seen much activity recently.  I don't think a new thread harms anything.

I got into Harvey comics (Richie Rich specifically) in 1977 thanks to my older brother who had been collecting them for several years already.  One of our local comic shops had long boxes full of Richies and lots of other stuff as well.  They'd call us whenever they got a new batch of back issues in so we could come up and try to fill holes in our collection.  I didn't really get as interested in the other Harvey characters until a few years later.  I wish that I had pursued them more then, though I was pretty young and didn't have as much money to spend as in later years.

32 minutes ago, kaculler said:

There is an existing thread, though it hasn't seen much activity recently.  I don't think a new thread harms anything.

I got into Harvey comics (Richie Rich specifically) in 1977 thanks to my older brother who had been collecting them for several years already.  One of our local comic shops had long boxes full of Richies and lots of other stuff as well.  They'd call us whenever they got a new batch of back issues in so we could come up and try to fill holes in our collection.  I didn't really get as interested in the other Harvey characters until a few years later.  I wish that I had pursued them more then, though I was pretty young and didn't have as much money to spend as in later years.

Thanks kaculler - I searched CGC and Google and couldn't find one.

@Hepcat apologies.

There's not a lot of participation here anyway, so if a mod or admin are reading this by all means merge the posts here into Hepcats. 

If anyone wants to post further Harvey images or recollections, please do so in the original thread. 

This is one that got away ... at least for a time. I just got this off of eBay for about 4 times what a raw was listed for on Payette's site a couple years ago.... but I had to "sleep on it" ... unfortunately, someone else didn't feel that need and snagged it while I was sleeping. I guess if I'm going to be a tightwad over 45 bucks, I deserve a little disappointment. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... not everyone grew up with Drive-Ins and may not love this cover like I do... you know, your mileage may vary.

S8iO8sC.jpg

Back when I was about 9-10 years old I started to pick up some Harvey titles, mainly Hot Stuff with a few Caspers and Sad Sacks. I still have a few of my original Hot Stuffs who was my favorite of the Harvey books.

I just went back and looked and was surprised to find Harvey was releasing 11-21 titles per month and found one month were 5 Sad Sack related titles were released (July 1969-cover date Oct. 1969). Looks like Harvey had it going there for a while.

On 12/18/2021 at 1:56 PM, Jaylam said:

Back when I was about 9-10 years old I started to pick up some Harvey titles, mainly Hot Stuff with a few Caspers and Sad Sacks. I still have a few of my original Hot Stuffs who was my favorite of the Harvey books.

I just went back and looked and was surprised to find Harvey was releasing 11-21 titles per month and found one month were 5 Sad Sack related titles were released (July 1969-cover date Oct. 1969). Looks like Harvey had it going there for a while.

1972 was a good year too:

Capture.PNG.a31d38b24404ba7f54721e04e48ef22e.PNG

It's a wonder they could come up with different stories for each title!

This thread brings back memories. As a little kid back in the 60s before I transitioned to Superhero comics, I read mostly Harvey books (and some Gold Key). Sad Sack was my favorite, but I read a fair amount of Richie Rich and Casper as well. I recall enjoying the Ghostly Trio stories the most in the Casper related titles. Gold Key faves were Super-Goof and anything with the Beagle Boys. 

My sister would pick out the Little Dot Uncles and Aunts Giants once in a while when my mother would treat us to comics, which I would read when no one was watching.

When I was 9 and 10 years old my favorite comics were Harvey's.  I didn't know what a DC or Marvel comic was.  Unfortunately, I sold all my Harvey's to a local dealer when I was in my early 20s.  I had outgrown them, and considered them worthless (they were pretty beat up).  :tonofbricks:  But, over the years I've picked up some just for nostalgia...Here's a few of them:

22579196669_517cc97021_c.jpg

22553049508_4c604bbc6c_c.jpg

22783328180_02327506d2_c.jpg

23659887244_4989c20d5b_c.jpg

23992516480_9cb1b778cf_c.jpg

45313983104_788c1671e1_c.jpg

23661282413_b8a9b6a654_c.jpg

24205573961_0d406b873e_c.jpg

24288098315_f7e2dbcf8b_c.jpg

24205586381_417726a616_c.jpg

22957942652_2a7c043965_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian