• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

GPA reports the data submitted by the site/auction house.

Doug marks items as 'sold' that never were sold, but then reports the data, so that the book can be 'resold' shortly after at a higher price.

Oh, and it was Schmell himself who admitted to this little scheme right here on the boards.

So should Bob punch everyone in the nads who has set up shop in this thread? I find it very ironic the thread was about someone using his space in a rude way. Yet, here we are. Good stuff.

Possessions are fleeting.........

Enough of this silly love fest and philosophical mumbo jumbo. Let's get back on track with the violence. Knocking the stuffing out of someone, especially a piece of human debris, can be pretty satisfying. Rock on, Bob. :slapfight:

In before the lock.gif

Nice Flamefest!

I've done business with Pedigree comics and always been happy with the service.....is what Schemell (or whatever his name is) a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed for doing that at your booth, CERTAINLY!

Would I do biz with Pedigree again, I'm sure I will (service was above par) I've had no bad experiences with them.

I've also done business with Classics and WWcomics. Again, was very happy when dealing with both (in fact just received my beautiful WW 9.6 woohoo!). Matt has been super easy and nice over the phone and the services he provided me in pressing/slabbing were top notch. I would certainly do biz with again! would I bid on one of his auctions...NOT! That's okay with me, I gather the information here and it helps me to decide how I want to deal with each dealer/service provider.

Now, I have also had 3 experiences with other (praised or deemed exceptional) known dealers where I was very very unhappy (actually 2 unhappy and 1 I felt was very abrasive). One dealer actually said to my face, "well shouldnt you be driving a Bentley then?" when I was talking to him about what I collect and my collection(trying to see if he had anything I needed). Needless to say they wont receive a penny from me ever.

Anyways, it's great to read stuff on hear to educate but, I dont believe it should dictate. If it does for you great, I just like to make my own educated decisions and give people a chance.

Maybe if all the buyers in this hobby would stop buying from unethical like Schmell, there wouldn't be any unethical like Schmell in this hobby.

And by unethical, I mean disbarred as a lawyer for playing games with other people's money, trying to get a known Ewert trimmed book by CGC after he was informed that it was a Ewert book and of course the impetus for this thread.

I sure am glad that you have had no bad experiences with him though.

:eyeroll:

This.

Although you did forget falsifying sales data submitted to GPA in order to 'protect the market'. :/

Forgive me. :)

Doesn't he fart around with the auctions at his site as well or was that just hearsay?

Well, he does encourage consignors to have their friends shill bid on their items...this from Arex Crooke, who received the 'advice' directly.

Arex is as solid as they come, so no go on the hearsay.

Hmm, maybe I'll send him something for a grand auction and see what he says if I say I'm worried about what it will fetch.

How about sending it to Bob at High Grade Comics and seeing what he can do for you as he does consignments?

How about checking around with some other dealers on this Board that are reputable and that also take consignments?

There are other avenues that can still make you money and not reward the unethical dealers that should not be rewarded.

GPA reports the data submitted by the site/auction house.

Doug marks items as 'sold' that never were sold, but then reports the data, so that the book can be 'resold' shortly after at a higher price.

Oh, and it was Schmell himself who admitted to this little scheme right here on the boards.

I have a feeling this will happen more and more given the amount of people that have stopped doing business with him, myself included.

Well, he hasn't screwed me over, so I don't see what the problem is.

So what if he got disbarred for taking his clients' money and using it to front the purchase of inventory? It's not like ethics are really all that important when business is concerned. People bought from Al Capone, didn't they? Besides, it wasn't my money, and at any rate, disbarment isn't anything special, hell Fred Phelps got disbarred. I bet it's a badge of courage for some folk. Kind of like a Purple Heart.

Look, I think it's only fair to say that as long as someone else is getting screwed over - shucks, I'd bet most don't even know it's happening, and what they don't know can't hurt 'em, ain't I right? - and no laws are being broken, it's all good. And to clarify, I mean real laws, like treason and murder and stuff

Hmm, maybe I'll send him something for a grand auction and see what he says if I say I'm worried about what it will fetch.

How about sending it to Bob at High Grade Comics and seeing what he can do for you as he does consignments?

How about checking around with some other dealers on this Board that are reputable and that also take consignments?

There are other avenues that can still make you money and not reward the unethical dealers that should not be rewarded.

I think he meant he would do it as a test to see how Doug would respond so that Zushi would have coroborating evidence of Doug's shenanigans. At least that's how I read it (shrug)

So what if he got disbarred for taking his clients' money and using it to front the purchase of inventory? It's not like ethics are really all that important when business is concerned. People bought from Al Capone, didn't they? Besides, it wasn't my money, and at any rate, disbarment isn't anything special, hell Fred Phelps got disbarred. I bet it's a badge of courage for some folk. Kind of like a Purple Heart.

Look, I think it's only fair to say that as long as someone else is getting screwed over - shucks, I'd bet most don't even know it's happening, and what they don't know can't hurt 'em, ain't I right? - and no laws are being broken, it's all good. And to clarify, I mean real laws, like treason and murder and stuff

This is a brilliant post.

This is a brilliant post.

Sal is famous for brilliant posts.

Disbarment aside, he has screwed over every single person on this board that buys/sells high grade comics. By manipulating GPA info and shilling his auctions, he is influencing the market which in turn has an effect on those of us that either buy or sell high grade books. He wouldn't be doing it if it had no purpose. Although I suppose that it could be argued that he is influencing the market to the benefit of sellers, in which case I guess only the buyer side of the equation is getting screwed.

I think he meant he would do it as a test to see how Doug would respond so that Zushi would have coroborating evidence of Doug's shenanigans. At least that's how I read it (shrug)

I read it the other way. You might be right.

This post could be applied unilaterally and with a broad brush stroke.