• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

John 5 is totally the next gen guitar god.....he is soooo not one dimensional. He can shred a freakin' banjo, he can out chickin' pick country shredders, he can bust out Segovia like its his forte, he is just simply adaptable and at a higher level than most people are at their own particular styles. He is simply the ONE of the very BEST at this moment in time.

While John 5 is a technical monster...i'd like to see these technicians learn how to write a good song.

Same with Steve Vai and Bumblefoot, etc...they can all shred to the nth degree but they have no idea how to write a good song. Sorry.

EVH was the great innovator of modern hard rock shredding. He started the great virtuosity that really kick started the 80's metal movement.

Plus, EVH could write amazing songs to match DLRs energy and melodies.

Jimmy Page was also an amazing song writer and while he was a sloppy player live, his studio work is quite legendary.

David Gilmore was the master of mood and tasty playing and again...great song writing.

There are so many guitarists that can play lightning speed but if they can't write a good song...what does it really matter?

For my money, one of the best bands today and guitarists is Dave Grohl. He isn't some super fast player but he writes great music.

Another fantasitc player today is Joe Bonamassa. Check him out on youtube. He is mainly known for blues playing but he can play any style.

I'm a guitarist/drummer and have been for many years. My favorites include Page, Iommi, Randy Rhoads, EVH, Gilmore and ALex Lifeson.

Ohio native Phil Keaggy needs a mention. Although not known like, say, an Eddie Van Halen or Jimmy Page, he's been recognized in some of those guitarist polls over the years (if I'm not mistaken).

Incidentally, Keaggy has faithfully been the punchline of what is one of those false urban legends; it goes something like this: that Hendrix was once asked what it felt like to be the world's greatest guitarist to which he responded, "I don't know, you'll have to ask Phil Keaggy that." There are variations of this myth and different sources cited, but it has no validity. But it may have got started since Keaggy's first album with his band Glass Harp was recorded in Electric Ladyland Studios. And this was only two weeks after Hendrix's death (Keaggy was 19 at the time).

Did you mean could they write a good riff?

Keith Richards isn't what I would call a great guitar player but he could write riffs that a song could be written around. Gimme shelter always comes to mind for me as far as a great riff goes.

The same goes for great guitar players. They come up with something catchy that in great bands great songs get written around. The same goes for great singers, they can come up with the words that evokes a sound, a feeling and the rest is history.

By the way, I play a mean air guitar.

And for me the thing I always notice about great guitar plays is their hands. It's as if they are genetically born to play the guiter.

Did you mean could they write a good riff?

Keith Richards isn't what I would call a great guitar player but he could write riffs that a song could be written around. Gimme shelter always comes to mind for me as far as a great riff goes.

The same goes for great guitar players. They come up with something catchy that in great bands great songs get written around. The same goes for great singers, they can come up with the words that evokes a sound, a feeling and the rest is history.

By the way, I play a mean air guitar.

And for me the thing I always notice about great guitar plays is their hands. It's as if they are genetically born to play the guiter.

I'd like to think I played a mean air guitar too--as a senior in high school in 1985 when I entered a contest with two others as the Jimi Hendrix Experience. But we placed 8th out of 10 bands (:tonofbricks:); however, we did defeat Klymaxx (spelling?) and Ratt. :banana:

While John 5 is a technical monster...i'd like to see these technicians learn how to write a good song.

Same with Steve Vai and Bumblefoot, etc...they can all shred to the nth degree but they have no idea how to write a good song. Sorry.

EVH was the great innovator of modern hard rock shredding. He started the great virtuosity that really kick started the 80's metal movement.

Plus, EVH could write amazing songs to match DLRs energy and melodies.

Jimmy Page was also an amazing song writer and while he was a sloppy player live, his studio work is quite legendary.

David Gilmore was the master of mood and tasty playing and again...great song writing.

There are so many guitarists that can play lightning speed but if they can't write a good song...what does it really matter?

For my money, one of the best bands today and guitarists is Dave Grohl. He isn't some super fast player but he writes great music.

Another fantasitc player today is Joe Bonamassa. Check him out on youtube. He is mainly known for blues playing but he can play any style.

I'm a guitarist/drummer and have been for many years. My favorites include Page, Iommi, Randy Rhoads, EVH, Gilmore and ALex Lifeson.

Mark, if you get a chance check out more of John 5's work.

I'm somewhat spoiled by the verse-chorus-verse ability of some of the people you've listed, but really the compositional skills and the versatility of John 5 are superb.

Joe Satriani may never write a 3 1/2 minute diddy, but I can listen to a guitar composition put together by him like most people listen to classical music.

And more shout out's to Alex Lifeson!

The guitarists being mentioned here are pioneers, but are they STILL the heavyweights.

Kirk Hammett - Shredder. Riff Master. Someone who should never be overlooked.

Tom Morello - (rage against the machine) I dont even like the band, but the guy is amazing.

Kerry King/ Jeff Hannaman - (slayer) Seriously, just seriously.

Lamb of Gods guitarists - The current state and progression of Metal.

Dave Matthews - I hate his music, but you have to respect his ability to play.