• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Article on Investing in Comic Books

101 posts in this topic

nope on the beanies.... its too bad, they were actually kind of cute (yes I said it), but the stench of a market crash is an extraordinarily foul odor that is next to impossible to dissipate

I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. You can probably get some of the ones that were uber hot (the camel(?) one maybe) for 1/50th of what they went for 10-15 years ago. If they double again, you're in clover.

I don't consider doubling over the say medium term to be good enough personally. I think one can do better.

The future is in Legos my friends. My son spends hours with those things and he worships the mini-figures. Check the going rate for Jango Fett on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Jango-Fett-LEGO-Star-Figure/dp/B001BMM482/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1318998100&sr=8-14

That's not a set, it's one figure.

There is a flaw with your logic. This figure and set it came from, has never been re-released by Lego. All the other sets that receive re-releases; the value has dropped significantly, unless it has a variant figure that is in demand.

Number two; this is mainly due to the fact that Lego is still producing Star Wars sets. Let's see what happens after the license expires; that will be the true test.

In conclusion, many people are stock piling new sets like extra food. This doesn't bode well for a collectible that few people are supposed to 'invest in' or know about. How long has the new death star been out now? It will rise in value, but not by much, and once you open it, the value has dropped significantly...

The same can be said for video games. I am a major part time dealer of video games on eBay and I do 'dabble' in Lego Star Wars...

I have written many guides and articles on all these issues. If anyone would like more info, rather than derail this thread; just PM me...

I enjoy the collectibles hobby and business and have been active within them for many years.

The future is in Legos my friends. My son spends hours with those things and he worships the mini-figures. Check the going rate for Jango Fett on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Jango-Fett-LEGO-Star-Figure/dp/B001BMM482/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1318998100&sr=8-14

That's not a set, it's one figure.

There is a flaw with your logic. This figure and set it came from, has never been re-released by Lego. All the other sets that receive re-releases; the value has dropped significantly, unless it has a variant figure that is in demand.

Number two; this is mainly due to the fact that Lego is still producing Star Wars sets. Let's see what happens after the license expires; that will be the true test.

In conclusion, many people are stock piling new sets like extra food. This doesn't bode well for a collectible that few people are supposed to 'invest in' or know about. How long has the new death star been out now? It will rise in value, but not by much, and once you open it, the value has dropped significantly...

The same can be said for video games. I am a major part time dealer of video games on eBay and I do 'dabble' in Lego Star Wars...

I have written many guides and articles on all these issues. If anyone would like more info, rather than derail this thread; just PM me...

I enjoy the collectibles hobby and business and have been active within them for many years.

Yes you make good points, but I think your underestimating short-term investing. With videogames and legos if your not into this short-term than your leaving a lot of money on the table now. Your right that most of the legos will end up like 1990s comic and baseball cards,but right now they are huge cash cows. I would say you probally could make more money flipping Legos and videogames over the next 5 years than if you decided to purchase a few keys(pressed or non-pressed) now then decided to flip in the same period. An example is the new death star. With this you can make some cash now by flipping it,and use the profits on that to invest for something else. So in conclusion the legos will not be a great long term investment, but right now they are liquid as it can be for a collectable. 2c

Speculate by nostalgia: For those on a tight budget, Barry Sandoval, the director of operations at Heritage, recommends forecasting what today's youth will be nostalgic for when they turn 40. Case in point for this generation of 40-somethings: A near-mint 1984-hatched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 fetched $22,752 at an auction in June.

This is the Rule of 25. Which has ALWAYS held. ALWAYS.

Simpsons comics.....

Rules always do... until they don't. ;)

The only key book from the 90s I would even consider investing in is Bone #1. A million kids are reading color reprints in school. Sounds like a lot of future demand to me. :D

Rules always do... until they don't. ;)

The only key book from the 90s I would even consider investing in is Bone #1. A million kids are reading color reprints in school. Sounds like a lot of future demand to me. :D

What was super hot in 1991? That's what you should be buying now as an "investment" in collectibles. Look to sell that in 5-8 years and you will - without a doubt - increase your initial investment higher than any "normal" investment. It may not be comics. It might be Pogs. It might be beanie babies. Whatever. The rule of 25 always holds.

I believe this article as comparing to the stock market. It's exaclty why I invested in comics the past year or so. If I can hold onto them long enough i'm willing to bet they will outperform the market.

I could be wrong. It all involves a level of risk and every investor/collector should know the risks involved. Don't get into it if you can't take the losses.

My bet is on SA books. The keys and select non-keys should continue to rise.

Let's rephrase.

---------------

Oh, agree 100%. You should be buying what was hot in 1991 that was any good and that anyone gives a spoon about and that has some semblance of rarity either absolute or in condition

reproduction_valiant_comics_by_dhlarson-d41w59p.png

:whistle:

I'm sure there are other examples in other collectings areas from that time period.

Magic the Gathering cards, circa '93-'94 (first year). This would include Limited Edition release (better known as Alpha & Beta), Unlimited (same as Alpha/Beta with white borders), plus the earliest expansions - Arabian Knights, Antiquities & Legends. All very under printed for the demand, there were different rarity levels (further reducing the availability of the best cards), and were mostly heavily played with in the first few years (small numbers remain in vf-nm), This all adds up to strong demand for the classic cards, especially the Power Nine: Black Lotus, the 5 Moxen, Ancestral Recall, Timetwister, Time Walk, and even the Dual lands... Prices are up over $1k for several cards (5 figures for some Alpha, like a mint Black Lotus).... And with 6 million active players world wide, these cards look to be in demand for many years.

i sell last month my collection :) I have a lot of stuff and a value of 15 000 $$$$ in these cards , and with the money, i bought my superman 1 copy !!

The rule of 25 always holds.

That means my Booster Gold, The Dark Knight Returns and The Punisher limited series books are going to get me that yacht I've been dreaming about?

I think the Rule of 25 is sound - however, that rule gets diluted with the amount of print runs/production runs of the product or item you are comparing it to. Stuff popular in 1986 is not as valuable 25 years later because there is more of it, thereby being less valuable - and those quantities rise the later it gets, and lessen the older it gets.

Let's rephrase.

---------------

Oh, agree 100%. You should be buying what was hot in 1991 that was any good and that anyone gives a spoon about and that has some semblance of rarity either absolute or in condition

Point is. Of course it doesn't always hold, an item having a certain # of years of age won't by itself make it worth a spoon. But pick the right item from that era and you can do well

why the doubt?

I don't have GPA but IIRC you can get a very low end supes 1 for that, can't you?

and it certainly wouldn't be the first magic collection sold for 15k

Is there a price guide or GPA equivalent for MTG?