• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million
2 2

701 posts in this topic

I still don't get it. Appreciating Liechtenstein for highlighting one panel of another artist's work is comparable to an author taking out a single page of Hamlet and getting credit for isolating it from the larger body of work whence it came.

Hamlet flipped every page and said, "Words, words, words." He didn't get anything after his father died but his uncle took the kingdom.

Russ Heath did all the works. Liechtenstein swiped his panel and got recognized. Russ got nothing and Roy took his glory.

Edited by JollyComics

I wouldn't say Roy TOOK his glory, but rather the glory was given to Roy by the supporting system. I suppose someone could always buy Heath' s original for 35-45,000,000 and even the score.

I've got a page I can let go.

I wouldn't say Roy TOOK his glory, but rather the glory was given to Roy by the supporting system. I suppose someone could always buy Heath' s original for 35-45,000,000 and even the score.

I've got a page I can let go.

lol

Kind of tough to get into that one, Gene. Everyone you're debating with I already have on ignore.

:roflmao:

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Wait, I'm in there!! :sumo:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I shot my wad on the last Lichtenstein thread, screw it. Maybe this is what the internet is for: to just blast out all the arguments we used to keep in our head until one day we went postal, & everyone said "Gee, he seemed like a nice guy. Kept to himself a lot..."

Hate to say it but $80M for what? Pieces like this are all about billionaires one up-man ship and staking a claim as to who has the biggest yacht. Ridiculous.

Well yeah. But apart from scale its not much different than "thousandaires" one-upsmanship on cgc 9.8 new mutants 98s :) and staking a claim as to who has the most registry points. :ohnoez:

Warhol's Elvises are iconic pieces in the art world, only bested by maybe his Monroe's and his soup cans.

Just think, the Eight Elvises last sold for $100 million

Edited by Rip

Hate to say it but $80M for what? Pieces like this are all about billionaires one up-man ship and staking a claim as to who has the biggest yacht. Ridiculous.

Well yeah. But apart from scale its not much different than "thousandaires" one-upsmanship on cgc 9.8 new mutants 98s :) and staking a claim as to who has the most registry points. :ohnoez:

Well at least the registry is essentially free. However, New Mutants going for $800+ is equally ridiculous and another example of increasing value despite the lousy art work. :whistle: