• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Golden Age Sci-Fi covers!
2 2

591 posts in this topic

A diverse set of books! :applause:

6495899249_9c9bbd66fd_z.jpg

Here are some scifi comics I like and some EC scifi comics I like.

Love the Cole covers and the "Destination Moon" movie issue.

I also have a "When Worlds Collide" movie issue in NM but forgot to dig it out.

Just got this one. Wally Wood's first EC cover. As much as I like his artwork, some of the drawing is a bit stiff (Weird Science 13, for example). For this freshman effort there's no such problem - it has a 'Mars Attacks' sort of frenzy about it that I really like.

WS_09.jpg

Just got this one. Wally Wood's first EC cover. As much as I like his artwork, some of the drawing is a bit stiff (Weird Science 13, for example). For this freshman effort there's no such problem - it has a 'Mars Attacks' sort of frenzy about it that I really like.

WS_09.jpg

That issue has to be on my Want LIst. Terrific colors on that copy. (worship)

I agree. Great book!

WS_09.jpg

Gorgeous! (worship)

WS_09.jpg

One of my favorites. Underbidder on a Gaines copy in the last C-Link auction. It went for a big price.

WS_09.jpg

:cloud9:

WS_09.jpg

One of my favorites. Underbidder on a Gaines copy in the last C-Link auction. It went for a big price.

I was in third place at $1202. The Gaines 9.0 went for a whopping $1605. I have a beaten up copy and a nice copy. Was hoping for a Gaines copy, but not at twice guide. I noticed that there are not very many copies of this particular Weird Science around on either CL nor Metro.

Edited by BitterOldMan

Very nice! I like the beautiful colors and detail...

WS_09.jpg

img921.jpg

Wow - never seen that cover before Pat.

A very powerful novel and the cover accurately captures the strange mood of the book. The movie is my favourite film by my favourite director, Andrei Tarkovsky. His tendency to film in real time with the minimum of edits, gives his films a sense of being actual events. When Hari sucks down the liquid oxygen then slowly and agonisingly comes back to life, it feels real. Even more shocking then when she tries to break down a metal door in order to stay with Kris, and heart rending when he sends this version of her off on a rocket. I think the ending is one of the most profound in all of cinema.

And it is fascinating how one great artist - Tarkovsky, takes the work of another - Lem, to reorder the material in his own image to create an equally powerful masterpiece, but quite different from the original in many ways. (The book is far more nightmarish than the film).What they have in common is a profound take on what it means to be alive.

Soderbergh's remake with Clooney is pretty great as well, if not quite on a par.

Do you have "Roadside Picnic" by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, from which Tarkovsky made "Stalker"?

Edited by alanna

Finally arrived from the great white north...

SpaceComics59front.jpg

There was no back cover scan when I bought this, so this was a nice surprise on the back:

SpaceComics59back.jpg

That is darn cool (thumbs u